EVERYTHING Black Panther - Part 3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Agreed.

White people love Coming to America.

A fictional, mega-successful African nation that looked down on American was embraced by most movie goers.

It all comes down to execution.
There wasn't a 24 hour news media quick to try and make stuff controversial to boost their ratings back then but I don't think any controversy would hurt the film.

Your right about it all being down to the execution.
Why would the black panther use slang? As far as I know BP is a African king and African's don't speak like Americans.
Some people were annoyed when Hudlin had T'challa speaking african american slang.

No one seemed to mind when Blade killed white vampires in 3 movies and a tv show......or Django killing a bunch of white people

I was only introduced to this character in the avengers animated movies but I tell you what I really love this character and is easily one of my top 5 marvel heroes based off of that and the BET series. I really am more interested in Black Panther than avengers 2 or any other marvel movie. All of Marvel movies have been the same ol crap just with a different hero. At least Black Panther would be something different.

Agreed.

A fictional, mega-successful African nation that looked down on American was embraced by most movie goers.

There wasn't a 24 hour news media quick to try and make stuff controversial to boost their ratings back then but I don't think any controversy would hurt the film.

Why would the black panther use slang? As far as I know BP is a African king and African's don't speak like Americans.
Some people were annoyed when Hudlin had T'challa speaking african american slang.

Lmao you ever heard a African try to talk black American? It is hilarious there is this black comedian who makes a living off it. If they ever did that in a BP movie it would become q comedy.

Agreed.

Coming to America was a comedy with the biggest comedy star of that time. It's not quite the same.

Yeah Eddie Murphy was huge back then..i don't think you can use Coming To America as a template. Django had Tarantino. We really only have Blade to compare this to, and it grossed about 83 mill. A well made BP movie will need at least a 100 mill budget.

I really dont think that Black Panther will come off as offensive to anyone but the people at FOX News. I think people are being way too worrisome.

No one seemed to mind when Blade killed white vampires in 3 movies and a tv show......or Django killing a bunch of white people

Which they couldn't have done without their white mentors. As said before, it's all in the execution.

Why does advanced tech need to be used for exploration and conquest?

Why can't it be used soley to defend isolationism and self-determination?

Because humans suck, basically. Also, because advanced technology is mutually exclusive with isolationism.

The ludacris I did on purpose cause that's how outragous it is to feel like BP is racist. Why is it hard to believe a black society is higher in tech than the rest of the world? When we are suppose to believe that somehow Tony Stark was just not able to build a functional AI but the Iron Man tech as well. There is none of that remotely possible with today's technology but Wakanda can't have similar tech? In ancient times while the rest of the world was still living in caves there were countries in Africa building the pyramids of Giza and the spinks. The kingdom of Kush is where the Greeks and Romans learned math. There is no need for alien explanations or drugs or whatever all you need is a fictional Ancient country that somehow was able to stay isolated and free of European imperalism.

As well as get your stereotypes right African are not Afro-Americans they don't eat fried chicken I don't even know if they eat watermelons. Obviously wakandans walking around in loin cloth is a no brainer get rid of it, however they shouldnt be new gods either.

If I told you that Wakanda existed, or a country like it, would you believe me? If not, then yeah, it's hard to believe. You might even believe an unreported land stayed unconquered, but would you believe they have lasers and flying cars and are more advanced than any other city in the world?

The way that Iron Man got around this was making us care about the character, and then having us root for him as he created all these hard to believe things. If Tony Stark had been introduced to us with a Hall of Armors and an Infinite power source, it would have been much harder to give a crap about what his problems were. I'm all for T'Challa making Wakanda the most advanced in the course of the film, but starting it out like that, and having the audience (or potential filmmakers/actors) give a crap is not possible.

And Wakandans not walking around in loincloths is *not* a no-brainer, because that's what they do in BP comics. A faithful adaptation of BP is spear chuckers in loin cloths that represent the most advanced black people ever.

I dont think that people are going to have that big of a problem accepting that Wakanda exists within the MCU.

However, I dont want Wakanda to have flying cars and to be so far advanced that they have a cure for cancer and theyre not sharing it with the world.

I like how it is shown to be in this images.
344fq8o.jpg

Basically it just looks like exotic looking skyscrapers

And Wakandans not walking around in loincloths is *not* a no-brainer, because that's what they do in BP comics. A faithful adaptation of BP is spear chuckers in loin cloths that represent the most advanced black people ever.

Heh, well obviously that's not how Wakanda has been portrayed for quite some time.

Last edited:
Hell, well obviously that's not how Wakanda has been portrayed for quite some time.

Well, it was all through Hudlin's run, and on Avengers: Earths Mightiest Heroes. Even one of the Walkabout kids from New Avengers was on that, wasn't he? It hasn't been long at all.

I dont think that people are going to have that big of a problem accepting that Wakanda exists within the MCU.

However, I dont want Wakanda to have flying cars and to be so far advanced that they have a cure for cancer and theyre not sharing it with the world...

Like I said, Wakanda needs to be depowered, like Asgard and Stark Industries and everything else adapted into the MCU. That's all.

And then that whole thing with accepting that Tony Stark invented a renewable energy source is a lot different than giving a crap. Giving a crap makes for a great movie, that's the goal.

And then that whole thing with accepting that Tony Stark invented a renewable energy source is a lot different than giving a crap. Giving a crap makes for a great movie, that's the goal.

I dont think that would be a problem either as long as you make Wakanda interesting

This discussion seems eerily familiar...

Because we have the same discussion every month. IT's the same thing in the Wonder Woman film thread.

Well, it was all through Hudlin's run, and on Avengers: Earths Mightiest Heroes. Even one of the Walkabout kids from New Avengers was on that, wasn't he? It hasn't been long at all.

I was talking the comics not the cartoon (I don't recall how they were portrayed there). I wasn't a fan of Hudlin's run, but I remember there was a flashback scene in the first issue that showed Wakanda from centuries ago was being attacked by outsiders and they were wearing loincloths but I don't recall the modern day characters walking around in nothing but loincloths. I find that hard to believe, actually.

T"Challa;25879523 said:
Yeah Eddie Murphy was huge back then..i don't think you can use Coming To America as a template. Django had Tarantino. We really only have Blade to compare this to, and it grossed about 83 mill. A well made BP movie will need at least a 100 mill budget.

Django did have Tarantino but at the end of the day it's a Western with a black man killing dozens of evil white men with R-rated gore and violence.

If that can succeed and make almost half a billion worldwide then what's the big deal with a black, Batman-like character fighting a couple of white super villains in a PG-13 movie?

I really dont think that Black Panther will come off as offensive to anyone but the people at FOX News. I think people are being way too worrisome.

The main ones being worrisome are marvel studios, lol. They're the ones who seem to think it's so hard to make a BP film.

T"Challa;25879523 said:

And that's the elephant in the room. These marvel movie budgets have been like $140 million and up. A huge budget superhero movie starring a black guy and presumably a majority black cast has literally never been done before. People in hollywood love to be 2nd at doing something, but not first.

I mean the only big budget "superhero" movie with a black character to date is Hancock, which a)was a comedy...or dramedy at least and b) starred Will Smith a/k/a hollywood's sure thing when it comes to box office. It did not have a majority black cast.

Blade was made for peanuts compared to these marvel movies, and again it starred someone who was at the time a box office draw. It did not have a majority black cast.

BP obstacles: Big budget, no age appropriate big name black actor to cast in the title role, the fact that most majority black films are not received well overseas (where these superhero movies make most of their theatrical $$$)...

I'm not holding my breath for a Black Panther movie.

Right now the only black actor who really rakes in money worldwide is Will Smith and maybe Denzel. I don't mean just in America, I mean international to boot. There is no black actor right now aside from those two who, if he was top billed in a flick would be a guaranteed blockbuster. If Elba gets to the point more power to the brother, but he ain't there yet.

Why does advanced tech need to be used for exploration and conquest?

Why can't it be used soley to defend isolationism and self-determination?

Because making them isolationist will be, itself, a mistake? Having them come off as self-righteous *******s who sit in their secret elf village without a care for anyone else will not sell them to the audience.

The main ones being worrisome are marvel studios, lol. They're the ones who seem to think it's so hard to make a BP film.

And that's the elephant in the room. These marvel movie budgets have been like $140 million and up. A huge budget superhero movie starring a black guy and presumably a majority black cast has literally never been done before. People in hollywood love to be 2nd at doing something, but not first.

I mean the only big budget "superhero" movie with a black character to date is Hancock, which a)was a comedy...or dramedy at least and b) starred Will Smith a/k/a hollywood's sure thing when it comes to box office. It did not have a majority black cast.

Blade was made for peanuts compared to these marvel movies, and again it starred someone who was at the time a box office draw. It did not have a majority black cast.

BP obstacles: Big budget, no age appropriate big name black actor to cast in the title role, the fact that most majority black films are not received well overseas (where these superhero movies make most of their theatrical $$$)...

I'm not holding my breath for a Black Panther movie.

Agreed with all this. To me, the only way BP gets made with that kind of budget is if the MCU continues to crank out high quality box office juggernauts. Marvel needs to become bulletproof at the box office ala Pixar where everything they put out turns a significant profit. Guardians of the Galaxy and Ant Man will be the first true tests of this. If those 2 succeed, then i believe BP will be on the slate.

Django did have Tarantino but at the end of the day it's a Western with a black man killing dozens of evil white men with R-rated gore and violence.

If that can succeed and make almost half a billion worldwide then what's the big deal with a black, Batman-like character fighting a couple of white super villains in a PG-13 movie?

Why do they have to be white super villains?

Klaw [who was white] is his first foe, and Man-Ape [who is black] a close second. I know I've seen other black villains in Panther stories but their names escape me.

The LAST thing a Panther movie needs to be is a black vs. white thing.

You only have to look at how Marvel handled the Mandarin character to know they do have some reservations about racial stuff. The guy who played Raza in Iron Man also talked Marvel around about some muslim stuff with his character.
Right now the only black actor who really rakes in money worldwide is Will Smith and maybe Denzel. I don't mean just in America, I mean international to boot. There is no black actor right now aside from those two who, if he was top billed in a flick would be a guaranteed blockbuster. If Elba gets to the point more power to the brother, but he ain't there yet.
Atleast Elba wants to be the next Black leading man. Chiwetel Ejiofor doesn't seem that intrested.

Denzel is pushing 60 and hollywood has already started paring him up with some young white dudes to carry movies lately like Ryan Reynolds, Chris Pine and Mark Wahlberg.

Will Smith seems to be more intrested in his sons career these days.

Even Denzel isnt that big of money maker world wide. I mean he has some pull but his highest grossing movie was American Gangster and that made 136,000,000 internationally.
The interesting thing is that Denzel's blockbuster are usually R rated, so that could be a reason why.
Either way I still think Denzel would be a good choice for T'Chaka.

I dont think that many people would be turned off by Black Panther fighting a white villain. As long as its not the focus. By that I mean if you have a villain whos primary motivation to defeat BP is that he's white and doesnt like black people I think they'd be fine

Will Smith seems to be more intrested in his sons career these days.

I like Will Smith a lot, but I wish he'd take more risks. He didnt do Django because he had to be the star (his words), he never played a villain, and in fact he hasnt really done anything other than leading roles in the past 10 years.

But I will say this. I think Smith is the last true movie star. He's the only person I can think of who is a guranteed box office draw when it comes to blockbusters

Last edited:
C'Mon let's be honest other than RDJ the only reason anyone was going to see these movies was because of the characters and the tie in to Avengers....few people went to see Thor for Hemsworth or Cap for any other reason than Cap....
...so Marvel will do what they usually do...hire an unknown, pay him cheap and surround him with great actors and actresses.

Last edited:
C'Mon let's be honest other than RDJ the only reason anyone was going to see these movies was because of the characters and the tie in to Avengers....few people went to see Thor for Hemsworth or Cap for any other reason than Cap....
...so Marvel will do what they usually do...hire and unknown, pay him cheap and surround him with great actors and actresses.

This

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jeremija
Back