Justice League: News and Speculation - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - Part 60

Status
Not open for further replies.
True. It's an indicator that it WILL be a quality film, at least as good as "Man of Steel" and "Batman v Superman". Him being in charge is one of the very few reasons I have hope for this movie. If they'd changed the director, then I would've been worried. Unless they got George Miller. Thankfully the whole "get him fired!!!" **** people tried with petitions and twitter didn't work.

Time and time again, people's angst against Snyder aren't his filmography or quality of his films. The overall consensus is that Snyder is a visual juggernaut that is seamless in crafting pin-point action and grand; scoping sequences that look absolutely gorgeous. People's gripe is that he's not a good story-teller and sometimes goes off the rails and geeks out way too often that doesn't result into the proper effort of characterization and tends to prefer his character's (especially superhero's) be dragged down by some type of grounded and mythological essence of importance. He doesn't always go for the happy ending and with that, comes a whole world of hurt from loyal fan-bases. I think he has a chance to show he can do something different with Justice League while sticking to what made him so famous to begin with (or infamous..which ever you prefer.) According to some in-the-know who have commented on it, JL is something TOTALLY different than what we've seen from Snyder as far as crafting something out of his own norm or vision without losing his identity as a director.

Then there are those who hold each film on its own merit, giving it a chance to either surprise or falter by its own doing. In all reality, the success or demise of Justice League has no barring on how Batman v Superman did. There are so many variables in play where movies change constantly, especially in the editing room and certain schedules and in creative that can make or break a bad or good film. I have enjoyed the DCEU thus far immensely, but I'm not holding what came already as a shoe-in that Justice League will be to the same liking as those films and vice-versa. I'll go into the movie theater with a clean slate and only will I judge and come up with my own conclusions and comparison's from the finished product. Anything else is HYPE and white-noise up until November. All art is different and subjective.

This sums up my mindset pretty well.

Time and time again, people's angst against Snyder aren't his filmography or quality of his films. The overall consensus is that Snyder is a visual juggernaut that is seamless in crafting pin-point action and grand; scoping sequences that look absolutely gorgeous. People's gripe is that he's not a good story-teller and sometimes goes off the rails and geeks out way too often that doesn't result into the proper effort of characterization and tends to prefer his character's (especially superhero's) be dragged down by some type of grounded and mythological essence of importance. He doesn't always go for the happy ending and with that, comes a whole world of hurt from loyal fan-bases. I think he has a chance to show he can do something different with Justice League while sticking to what made him so famous to begin with (or infamous..which ever you prefer.) According to some in-the-know who have commented on it, JL is something TOTALLY different than what we've seen from Snyder as far as crafting something out of his own norm or vision without losing his identity as a director.

Alright, and I don't agree that he's not a good story-teller or that his characters suck and that whole "style over substance" ********.

I don't know, there are more Snyder films that I like that I don't like. I think Watchmen is one of the best CBMs of all time, I enjoyed MoS and loved BvS UC. 300 is awesome in it's own way and Dawn of the Dead was good even though not quite my cup of tea. I don't think he's some kind of genius or ground breaking but his films are enjoyable to watch. I tend not to nitpick too much, I feel it takes away too much from the movie experience. It's just movies. I do believe JL will be better received and I think WW will be best recieved from all the DCEU movies thus far, also JL.

On the other hand, I am a Finn so brooding comes naturally to me. Maybe that's why I enjoy Snyders films.

Snyder is a good director, but his handle on story elements and screenplay is not that good. He is someone whom I would preferred if he had a trusted collaborator, someone to reign in some of the excess and make sure that the story is good --by good I mean palatable for mass consumption, not just a minority of cbm followers. It does not need to go to the level of Nolan's BB and TDK --it will not work unless it's just Batman alone.

I have always said from the beginning --way before Nolan & WB/DC got MOS to greenlight that cbm outside of Batman should not cater to a specific group of people, rather it should have a broad appeal. Goyer most likely did not pay attention to some of the criticisms of Super Returns. The two combination of Goyer & Snyder probably gave some cbm fans nightmare. :yay:

I feel that JL will probably be quite different as it is likely that they probably have elevated the tonality of the film in addition to the already planned Terrio/Snyder script that supposedly be lighter than BvS & MOS. All of this is doesn't bother me except that I hope that JL's story element is far better than BvS and maybe MOS.

I don't know, there are more Snyder films that I like that I don't like. I think Watchmen is one of the best CBMs of all time, I enjoyed MoS and loved BvS UC. 300 is awesome in it's own way and Dawn of the Dead was good even though not quite my cup of tea. I don't think he's some kind of genius or ground breaking but his films are enjoyable to watch. I tend not to nitpick too much, I feel it takes away too much from the movie experience. It's just movies. I do believe JL will be better received and I think WW will be best recieved from all the DCEU movies thus far, also JL.

On the other hand, I am a Finn so brooding comes naturally to me. Maybe that's why I enjoy Snyders films.

Agreed, I like his movies and he has visual style that is very appealing to me. If they handed the Transformers series to him I'd jump for joy.

You and I have the exact same mindset it seems with movies in general. I'm not a nitpicky person and a lot of times I just go with what the film is giving to me so long as it is coherent and I'm hooked on a visceral level. A lot of my favorite films would fall apart at the seams if I started breaking down their script logic.

You and I have the exact same mindset it seems with movies in general. I'm not a nitpicky person and a lot of times I just go with what the film is giving to me so long as it is coherent and I'm hooked on a visceral level. A lot of my favorite films would fall apart at the seams if I started breaking down their script logic.

I second this.

+1.

If you start nitpicking and tearing it apart, any movie can be ruined...

Polux

Agreed, I like his movies and he has visual style that is very appealing to me. If they handed the Transformers series to him I'd jump for joy.

I think he could probably do a pretty cool Mortal Kombat series, with his visual sense and staying true to the tone/visuals of the original trilogy. I wonder if he was influenced by Scorpion's Get Over Here when he had Batman do pretty much the same move to that thug with his grappling gun

A MK or God of War movie adaption by Zack would be a dream come true.

I think he could probably do a pretty cool Mortal Kombat series, with his visual sense and staying true to the tone/visuals of the original trilogy. I wonder if he was influenced by Scorpion's Get Over Here when he had Batman do pretty much the same move to that thug with his grappling gun

Pretty sure that grappling gun pull is a homage to the Arkham video games series.

Alright, and I don't agree that he's not a good story-teller or that his characters suck and that whole "style over substance" ********.

Me neither. I'm a Snyder fan. I'm one of his defenders, but in the same breath, I understand that his work can be off-putting to some movie-goer's. Every movie of his left me with this underlying; abnormal feeling that I just don't get with most films. It's different and I welcome that experience in the theater. Some, however, don't. They want to be pleased. With all that said, I believe Snyder has small intricate details in his movies that are great pieces of storytelling..it's just not in a way that hits you square in the face. I like that.

I saw the same panel in a Batman comic I read recently..dont remember its name..Also saw the same move in the arkham games.

Last edited:

What this guy & Batland said. Couldn't been worded any better 👍👍👍

I'm all good with action movies caving in on themselves when subjected to scrutiny. That happens with most films in general. Common train of thought these days is that a film that takes itself more seriously needs to be subjected to a higher degree of scrutiny than a film that doesn't. I think that's kinda silly. Ultimately, I just look at the questions and/or themes a film poses, and whether or not those questions/themes are honored. Did the film see itself through? That's pretty much the bottom line for me.

I think Snyder's visuals are overrated, personally, but it's clear that he puts effort into them.

I think Snyder's visuals are overrated, personally, but it's clear that he puts effort into them.

What I love isn't just the visuals themselves, which alone are impressive, but how Snyder uses visuals. It's not just imagery for the sake of imagery. He uses visual motifs, symbolism, parallels, allusions, and other tools usually confined to the page in literature or plays in order to tell a story. For example, Lex introduces the imagery and symbolism of his Gustave Dore piece called "The Fall of the Rebel Angels" (an illustration found in Milton's Paradise Lost) that introduces the inversion of angels and devils theme.

main-qimg-bd021369acfde5108ce0a9329edd93d2-c

Snyder evoked the same imagery both in Bruce's fall in the film's opening sequence (at one point the image flips) and when Batman begins to execute his coup de grace in his fight against Superman (he descends from above).

I enjoyed most of Snyder's visuals, but found the BVS final doomsday fight scene dull.

I just wish Doomsday had more spikes and didn't emit the energy blasts

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"