Age of Ultron Spiderman in the Avengers "world"?

My personal feeling has always been that while I think he has no place on the Avengers team, Spider-Man will be sorely missed when / if Marvel adapts crossover arcs like the Infinity Gauntlet and Civil War. Same goes for the Fantastic 4 and the X-Men.

I'm not too worried about Spidey, here is why:

TASM was the highest grossing reboot of all time. It did this despite being sandwiched between TA and TDKR. Ice Age 4 opened 1 1/2 weeks after taking away many of the family audience. TDKR opened 3 weeks later taking away it's young adult audience. It still became the highest grossing reboot despite re-trending similar ground to the first Spider-Man film.

it's a reboot of a superhero film...it's bound to make at least $100 million, so that's not saying anything

:doh:

The MCU works because it's 4 or 5 individual, complete franchises coming together to create a mega-franchise. Thor, Captain America, The Hulk, and Iron Man all have their own supporting casts and rogues galleries. Venom, Black Cat, Scarlet Spider, Puma and The Prowler do not.

This is a terrible idea. Make 6 Spider-Man movies if you need them to tell the story you want, but don't try to sell me a Scarlet Spider film.

And do you have an actual evidence to support that assertion beyond simple kneejerk pessimism (a common flaw amongst comic book fans)? As far as I know, such films have never been attempted before. Therefore, you can't possibly know whether they'd work or not until they are actually made, simple as that.

I gave my evidence...they lack supporting casts, rogues galleries, and individual stories that differentiate them from Spider-Man. Some characters are built to have solo movies. Some are not.

it'll have to happen someday if I have to make it happen.

also, did everyone seem to forget about that guy wearing an empire state university shirt in item 47? does that mean nothing to y'all?

bvhv.gif
spidey is no longer the main attraction. iron man is.
Why do people want him in the MCU. how will it BENEFIT SPIDER-MAN?

All the talk is for the benefit of The Avengers but none of it is about whats best for his character.

Same with X-Men, people just want Wolverine so he can be an Avenger and don't give two ****s about The X-Men.

I hope they never join the MCU, not only because they are good where they are but imo the MCU movies are becoming too samey and comedic for my taste.
your hope will probably be the most realistic one. but, it shouldn't be a question as to why people want him in mcu. how would it benefit spiderman? well asm is the lowest grossing spiderman film ever.
I know, the constant talk of it is tiresome. It's not going to happen for a long, long time. Harping on about it is an excersise in futility.
it will never disappear. ever
It bugs me more that people say Spiderman, it's Spider-Man.
spiderman is easier to type.
I don't think Spider-Man has to appear in an Avengers film but I do think his existence within the MCU needs to be established. The MCU feels really empty to me without Spidey being there. It would be like having a DC universe without a Batman or a Superman.

Spidey being in the MCU doesn't have to mean he will join the Avengers. He can still operate solo in the universe with only small cameos and easter eggs there to establish they're in the same universe (i.e. a Daily Bugle article on the table in an Avengers film). Even if he does appear in an Avengers film, it doesn't even mean he has to join the team. He could still have his solo films over at Sony where he is focused on his side of the Marvel universe but still help out the Avengers once in a while. Both Sony and Marvel would make a bit of extra cash from that.

If he will ever appear in a Marvel Studios film, my gut feeling is telling me it will be in Avengers 3. The reason I say that is because that's when Thanos will most likely be done. It took the entire Marvel universe to beat Thanos in the Infinity Gauntlet storyline. Assuming that Thanos will have the Infinity Gauntlet in Avengers 3, I can't picture just a couple of Avengers being able to beat him. I think the team will need all the help they can get. That's why I think Avengers 3 will be more of a Marvel Superheroes film than an Avengers film, and Marvel will probably try to get as many characters that they can get their hands on to battle Thanos. Assuming that Sony and Marvel still have the same good relationship they have now, I think that is when Spider-Man has the most chances of appearing in any MCU film.
this post is sig worthy.

Weren't all of the cranes at the end of ASM a nod to The Avengers? As in, New York City was being reconstructed because of the alien attack during The Avengers.

Nothing against Spider-man. But He would steal Scenes from other possible MCU Avengers like Ant-man, Black Panther, Ms Marvel & co.

It would have been okay if it was planned from the beginning.
It's pretty clear that in the Spideyverse he is the only costumed hero in existence and he couldn't predate any of the Avengers because it would have doubtlessly been mentioned in one of their movies.

Anyways we've got Jessica Drew to look forward to for a Spider fix if ever they get around to that.

Bumped for all the guys too lazy to scroll back a page to find this and feel the need to bring it into the news thread.

Business deals aren't based only on profit sharing. A fixed fee for a one off cameo usage benefits both studios at the right price. Cheap marketing for Sony in the biggest film of the moment without having to do any work. And the same kind of benefit adding anything cool to Avengers that costs a bit extra has, like a secondary outfit for Scarlet Witch or pink flashing goggles for Quicksilver. It's just something cool for a bit of extra money that benefits Marvel, Sony and most of the non SHH posting GA. You know they would love it.

How is the marketing cheap? Please break down the cost of having Spidey in an Avengers film and the return vs. what they would spend on their marketing costs for just a standalone film and the return generated.

You call it "just an extra bit of money" but the idea is patently absurd because each is the flagship franchise of each respective studio. You think those come cheap? Yet as I previously stated, the demo's of Spidey and the Avengers are co-mingled. They're not separate franchises with a separate group of demo's you're combining to create a larger pool of revenue.

A movie studio trying to maximize it's revenues is not going to do something "just because it's cool". It has to make fiscal sense. Btw, non SHH posting GA audience members aren't the ones clamoring for Spidey in the Avengers. It's the hardcore "muh childzhood is ruin'd" ones.

Last edited:
How is the marketing cheap? Please break down the cost of having Spidey in an Avengers film vs. what they would spend on their marketing costs for just a standalone film.

You call it "just an extra bit of money" but the idea is patently absurd because each is the flagship franchise of each respective studio. You think those come cheap? Yet as I previously stated, the demo's of Spidey and the Avengers are co-mingled. They're not separate franchises with a separate group of demo's you're combining to create a larger pool of revenue.

A movie studio trying to maximize it's revenues is not going to do something "just because it's cool". It has to make fiscal sense.

Funny, because this is precisely how the MCU was born, Nick Fury was placed at the end of Iron Man because they (Feige) thought it would be cool. I really don't get why the very idea of talking about Spidey in the MCU seems to cause you so much consternation.

Wrote this in the news thread:

I don't think anyone wants Spider-Man as an Avengers member. I always preferred him by himself as well. I think most people are just asking him to be there, not necessarily join the team. The universe feels really empty and awkward without a Spider-Man being there swinging through it. A small easter egg or something establishing his presence would be enough.

But if it never happens, I'm not losing sleep over it.

I don't see why everyone is so black-and-white on this issue. The MCU isn't as simple as "either you're an Avenger or not". Not every superhero we've seen was an Avenger.

Funny, because this is precisely how the MCU was born, Nick Fury was placed at the end of Iron Man because they (Feige) thought it would be cool. I really don't get why the very idea of talking about Spidey in the MCU seems to cause you so much consternation.

They owned his rights! They didn't rent Nick Fury from another studio because they thought it would be cool.

Wrote this in the news thread:

I don't see why everyone is so black-and-white on this issue. The MCU isn't as simple as "either you're an Avenger or not". Not every superhero we've seen was an Avenger.

Right, we are getting Daredevil and Iron Fist but I don't really have any desire to see them in an Avengers movie. Just having them out there in the MCU doing whatever they do is good enough because it makes the experience more rich.

They owned his rights! They didn't rent Nick Fury from another studio because they thought it would be cool.

Not the point. They undertook this whole shared universe concept because they thought it would be cool to see on screen. To say they wouldn't do something for cool factor is to ignore reality. Sure, dollars are always going to a very big part of the equation as well but you are talking like there is now way to make this financially feasible and you just don't know.

Exactly.

Heck, the MCU's expansion to the street-level characters is only more of a reason why Spidey not being there makes the universe feel "empty". Spidey may not be a team player, but he's had a lot of team-ups and has built some strong friendships with the likes of, for example, Daredevil. And with Kingpin presumably showing up in Daredevil, they've also crossed into Spider-Man territory.

How is the marketing cheap? Please break down the cost of having Spidey in an Avengers film and the return vs. what they would spend on their marketing costs for just a standalone film and the return generated.
I didn't follow that. What is the cost to Sony of having Spider-man in an Avengers film? They get money don't they? (from Marvel) Maybe I misinterpreted something.

I'm talking about the fee Marvel would pay Sony for a cameo. Are we on the same page here?

A movie studio trying to maximize it's revenues is not going to do something "just because it's cool". It has to make fiscal sense. Btw, non SHH posting GA audience members aren't the ones clamoring for Spidey in the Avengers. It's the hardcore "muh childzhood is ruin'd" ones.
They aren't 'clamouring' for it as some are on here but they seem very interested in that sort of thing if you read Avengers youtube comments sections. Admittedly they're also after Superman & Batman to make an appearance. :woot: And surely you agree that the GA would love a Spider-man cameo?

Not the point. They undertook this whole shared universe concept because they thought it would be cool to see on screen. To say they wouldn't do something for cool factor is to ignore reality. Sure, dollars are always going to a very big part of the equation as well but you are talking like there is now way to make this financially feasible and you just don't know.

That is the point. They undertook this whole shared universe as a business plan once they saw the reaction they got from Nick Fury's cameo. They could afford to do it because they had their own conglomerate of characters waiting to be unspooled within it.

You're seriously devoid of all common sense if you think a movie studio would put all of this together (3 phases including numerous standalones) all under the guidance that it's cool. It's a business first and foremost.

In terms of "financially feasible" you're thinking like a dreamy fanboy and not like a businessman. I've already laid out why that is. You're not bridging two fan bases who previously never went to see each other's movies. Therefore you're not bringing "new" money into the equation. What does Marvel have to gain?

I didn't follow that. What is the cost to Sony of having Spider-man in an Avengers film? They get money don't they? (from Marvel) Maybe I misinterpreted something.

You certainly have.

talking about the fee Marvel would pay Sony for a cameo. Are we on the same page here?

Why would Marvel want to pay a fee for a character whom some of their audience already goes to see? It's not like Spidey outdraws The Avengers! If it did than you might have an argument.

They aren't 'clamouring' for it as some are on here but they seem very interested in that sort of thing if you read Avengers youtube comments sections. Admittedly they're also after Superman & Batman to make an appearance. :woot: And surely you agree that the GA would love a Spider-man cameo?

You're able to tell from the YouTube comments section who is a member of the GA and who isn't? That's quite the talent.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"