Superman Returns Suit, Muscle.. is Brandon the problem?

ROBOCOP CPU001 said:
Actully i think the main man just showed up.

You mean the one that isn't just pretending to be a mod? ;)

I too was struck by the impact of the manip, and wondered why.
As many posters have done, I totally bought, and cherish Christopher Reeve's portrayal of Superman, my ultimate hero. Reeve's heroic battle after his tragic accident re-inforced my admiration for him, and increased the sentimentality I hold for his role as Superman. My fanboy dream was to see Reeve walk again, but alas that was not meant to be.

I believe very strongly it is that emotional attachment that caused my immediate positive reaction to the manip. Not only have I yet to see Routh as Superman I have yet and hopefully never will see Routh react as a human being to as great a personal tragedy as Reeve did. Reeve's shoes are awfully big ones to fill, both as an actor and a man. It is unfair then IMHO to hold a Reeve mirror up to Routh.

Also perhaps as the description of the scenario that this shot appears in indicates; a powerless Superman is being hunted by Luthor, which calls for a performance from Routh that effects his demeanor and expression creating a somewhat anxious Superman. Whereas the photo of Reeve used in the manip appears to show the sure and confidant Man of Steel that we more readily associate with the character.

Saph said:
But did they hate the suit likers for liking the suit, or a different reason? I think it was the latter.

Why suit haters hate the suit likers is:

Matches Malone- Matches posts in a condescending manner, acting like he's talking down to the suit haters, even when they make valid points. He also brings up other things that posters have said to dismiss their arguments.

Milkman- Milkman's "It's still red so nyah" attitude shows lack of maturity and understanding of Superman. He dismisses things that make Superman SUPERMAN, and this frustrates suit likers because they are arguing with a person that does not fully understand what he is talking about. When suit haters explain, why he is wrong, he replies with posts that actually prove our point, but the suit likers team up with Milkman so he 'wins'.

Venom71- He acts like a child, refusing to hear anything wrong about the suit, dismisses facts, and acts like hes right when he's been proven wrong. The suit likers don't care about his childishness because they agree with him.

There are other people I can talk about, also.

I'm immature because I see the darker red as being satisfactory for Superman? That's hilarious. I think complaining about a shade of red that happens to be a bit darker than the so-called "classic" red more childish than anything I've ever read on these boards. I view you as the one that is childish and not acting like an open minded adult should, but whatever.......

And I have proven with my posts with all the different pictures of Superman that the suit has indeed changed through the years, which proves my point of there being no supreme definition of what Superman should look like, as long as it's not to the extreme like the suit being black with no cape................

Showtime029 said:
It's not Routh, it's not Singer, it's us-the fans. We are so used to Christopher Reeve as Superman that we can only picture him as the Man of Steel. You put Reeve in any suit and we will automatically think Superman. Its psychological, we associate Reeve with Superman. Now we have to get over the fact that Reeve isn't Superman so we turn to the next best thing, other incarnations of Superman. "Why didn't they use Dean Cain, why didn't they use Welling." This is the next phase, we associate these actors with Superman because they've played the part. Routh is new, he's foreign to us. When we look at him in the new suit we are wondering if that's really Superman. My opinion is that it isnt really the suit, because obviously people are now saying Reeve looks fantastic in it. It's not even Routh, it's Reeve. We were spoiled by Reeve as Superman for four movies and we can't get over it. He will always be Superman to us, and now Routh is trying to take his place. It's like a boy without a father, who can never accept his step-father as his dad when he is younger. As he gets older he realizes that this man is not trying to replace my father but trying to establish a new relationship with me. The boy realizes he is different but he is still a father figure. He may not dress the same, or act the same, but he is still my dad. Routh is now Superman, we have to accept this and move on. Reeve will always be Superman but now it's time for somebody new to take over the role. Remember the Micheal Keaton outcrys? Sure, Kilmer and Clooney couldn't hold his bat-belt but look what Bale did.

finally, a rational, well-thought, and logical post. You are right. Lokking at Reeve in Roth's suit...it looks absolutly fantastic. That's because my mind associates Reeve with the role. I like Routh in the new pics, i really do, but with Reeve there it just confirms that the suit is better than fine and that the only thing required to make this movie my favorite is a simple adjustment in my psyche. That, I am sure, will come in the theater.

one way to find out who "looks" more like superman is to find some poor schlump of soul whos been living under a rock and has never seen nor heard of the superman movies with reeve and then show them that same pic with routh and reeve.

and see who they say

ROBOCOP CPU001 said:
but you are better than this..I have watched you grow..don't go to the dark side now. :up:
Wait...I thought the ones who like the suit are The Dark Side. :D

supesfan80 said:
finally, a rational, well-thought, and logical post. You are right. Lokking at Reeve in Roth's suit...it looks absolutly fantastic. That's because my mind associates Reeve with the role. I like Routh in the new pics, i really do, but with Reeve there it just confirms that the suit is better than fine and that the only thing required to make this movie my favorite is a simple adjustment in my psyche. That, I am sure, will come in the theater.

Thanks for your compliments and I am glad we agree.:up:

i dont know how but i realize something. a lot of people think that reeve is the greatest superman. istn it crazy that some people think that reeve is a better superman than routh? but lets not forget that this people didnt even see the new movie.

fact is that acting in the 70s was different than it is now.
people FACT is that routh will not act like reeve.
fact is that superman returns will be very different than the old superman movies.

a lot of you must realize that brandon routh will not be a copy of reeve. he is a new actor in a new movie for the new kids.

so what can you do ? you have 4 ............ yes four superman movies with reeve as superman. watch them.
but please stop saying that reeve was the best superman.

fact is that he was the only superman...................... UNTIL NOW :)

last fact: a lot of fanboys will not like the new movie........... why? because reeve will not play superman.

my english is very bad.... so if you didnt understand me.......... than we have a problem.

peace :up:

How can any of you ***** about the colors?! You haven't seen the movie yet! If it turns out that by some gross under-utilization of modern film-making techniques digital grading is not used to make a difference post production, then all of the suit-haters can whine about it for the rest of their lives. The suit-likers need to stop saying it's right or "it fit's with Singer"s Metropolis" because it's muuuch more than likely to change from the photos we've seen to the actual film footage. Everybody pick something else to argue over! And welcome me to the Hype! GRRRRRRRRRRRRR!:down :up: :supes:

welcome to the hype....... but i think that the suit must fit in.and it fits in singers vision.

dark_b said:
welcome to the hype....... but i think that the suit must fit in.and it fits in singers vision.

You haven't seen Singer's vision yet. You've only seen tidbits, morsels of a finished product, and yet somehow, in your mind, you have cobbled these tablescraps into a fully prepared meal. I for one will not be sitting down to the table just yet...and thanks for welcoming me.

Dammit, I'm hungry.

Showtime029 said:
It's not Routh, it's not Singer, it's us-the fans. We are so used to Christopher Reeve as Superman that we can only picture him as the Man of Steel. You put Reeve in any suit and we will automatically think Superman. Its psychological, we associate Reeve with Superman. Now we have to get over the fact that Reeve isn't Superman so we turn to the next best thing, other incarnations of Superman. "Why didn't they use Dean Cain, why didn't they use Welling." This is the next phase, we associate these actors with Superman because they've played the part. Routh is new, he's foreign to us. When we look at him in the new suit we are wondering if that's really Superman. My opinion is that it isnt really the suit, because obviously people are now saying Reeve looks fantastic in it. It's not even Routh, it's Reeve. We were spoiled by Reeve as Superman for four movies and we can't get over it. He will always be Superman to us, and now Routh is trying to take his place. It's like a boy without a father, who can never accept his step-father as his dad when he is younger. As he gets older he realizes that this man is not trying to replace my father but trying to establish a new relationship with me. The boy realizes he is different but he is still a father figure. He may not dress the same, or act the same, but he is still my dad. Routh is now Superman, we have to accept this and move on. Reeve will always be Superman but now it's time for somebody new to take over the role. Remember the Micheal Keaton outcrys? Sure, Kilmer and Clooney couldn't hold his bat-belt but look what Bale did.

Agree!
I real fan of Superman accept Brandon Routh, HEY, it could be worse, we almost have Nicalas Cage or the Russell Crowe to do the Man of Steel.
icon13.gif

or brendan frasier.... wasnt he rumored once or was that for sumtin else

Saph said:
The two prominent complaints on these boards are:

1. The suit.

2. The muscle.

Any underwhelming presences caused by these 'problems' in Superman pictures, are blamed on:

1. The Costume Designer

2. Singer not telling Routh to bulk up.

Is it really the fault of them, or is it someone else? Is it..

..Routh?

I'm no Wellingite. I supported Routh when he was cast. Whenever I disliked something in this movie, I never blamed Routh.

Until now.

050902_Superman_wide.png

We're all familiar with this picture. It flared up the argument on Routh's size, because this picture shows Routh as being very skinny, while other pictures show Reeve size.

I saw this manip:
srr.jpg

Kudos to who made it.

This manip is, obviously, just Reeve pasted on Routh's body. And look at the difference.

The suit doesn't look so bad.

He doesn't look so small.

It appears that it is the actor that determines how things appear, not the suit, or his actual size.

And Routh doesn't create the same impression. Will he surpass Reeve? Not likely, going by these pictures.

Routh still needs to show us if he can handle the Man of Steel. He has the voice, but does he have the rest?
you are right. routh just doesn't have 'it'. at least not from all the pics we have seen. his acting ability??? i doubt so... look at all his pics, his serious looks are all the same expression...

but who cares...

he gonna be superman... and the new generation will gladly accept that. (dean cain as an example)

Saph said:
The two prominent complaints on these boards are:

1. The suit.

2. The muscle.

Any underwhelming presences caused by these 'problems' in Superman pictures, are blamed on:

1. The Costume Designer

2. Singer not telling Routh to bulk up.

Is it really the fault of them, or is it someone else? Is it..

..Routh?

I'm no Wellingite. I supported Routh when he was cast. Whenever I disliked something in this movie, I never blamed Routh.

Until now.

050902_Superman_wide.png

We're all familiar with this picture. It flared up the argument on Routh's size, because this picture shows Routh as being very skinny, while other pictures show Reeve size.

I saw this manip:
srr.jpg

Kudos to who made it.

This manip is, obviously, just Reeve pasted on Routh's body. And look at the difference.

The suit doesn't look so bad.

He doesn't look so small.

It appears that it is the actor that determines how things appear, not the suit, or his actual size.

And Routh doesn't create the same impression. Will he surpass Reeve? Not likely, going by these pictures.

Routh still needs to show us if he can handle the Man of Steel. He has the voice, but does he have the rest?

yes i think have a point.

This is what i said in another thread:

I find it kinda sad how Christopher Reeve tried his entire life to break out of the typecast as superman. He didn't want to be forever known as superman, but as a great actor. That's why he never got any other major roles, because there are people out there who see him as Superman, not the great actor who convincing looked like superman. I think it's almost a spit in his face saying that he is superman, not an actor. Dean Cain has the same problem.

Chris Reeve was a great superman and a great actor. Don't ruin his legacy. He's gone now, and we have a new superman. Brandon is NOT replacing CR, just picking up where he left off. We certainly shouldn't put his face on brandon's body. It almost seems like he can't freaking get away from it even after he's passed away. I think those pictures of CR's face on BR's body should be removed because it is mocking CR, even if it was made with the best intentions. He passed away, and we should respect him, not paste pictures of him on other people.

Dana Reeve thinks brandon looks just like her husband, yet you guys can't. She's moved on, and wishes Brandon luck as the next guy holding the torch, not saying that he is ruining her husband's legacy. Sometimes you guys need to just grow up.

AHEM--

GDW
Ah HA!!!

I was annoyed at first that this was simply a different size from the orig for comparison purposes.

So I changed the size and compared and lo and behold I discovered something.

The Reeve one has actually been made slightly WIDER, making him look bigger.

So it's not that Reeve looks better or makes the suit acceptable, or just allows us to see the suit as superman or what ever, but the image was altered to make him look bigger then Routh, or to make Royth's body look bigger, which ever way you want to look at it.

Point is that it is NOT just Reeve's head on Routh's body here, but it is Routh's altered body aswell.

Showtime029 said:

Give this guy a cookie.

Saph said:
But did they hate the suit likers for liking the suit, or a different reason? I think it was the latter.

Why suit haters hate the suit likers is:

Matches Malone- Matches posts in a condescending manner, acting like he's talking down to the suit haters, even when they make valid points. He also brings up other things that posters have said to dismiss their arguments.

Milkman- Milkman's "It's still red so nyah" attitude shows lack of maturity and understanding of Superman. He dismisses things that make Superman SUPERMAN, and this frustrates suit likers because they are arguing with a person that does not fully understand what he is talking about. When suit haters explain, why he is wrong, he replies with posts that actually prove our point, but the suit likers team up with Milkman so he 'wins'.

Venom71- He acts like a child, refusing to hear anything wrong about the suit, dismisses facts, and acts like hes right when he's been proven wrong. The suit likers don't care about his childishness because they agree with him.

There are other people I can talk about, also.

Not even a shout out......I must be slippin. :rolleyes:

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jeremija
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"