The Dark Knight Rises TDKR Oscar Chances? - Part 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
I find it funny that people seem to slam the fact that TDKR could be nominated for anything, but Warner Brothers would only have a film be considered if it's worthy enough.

Variety ad:

imagevlwl.jpg

That would've been one badass Blu-ray cover.

I find it funny that people seem to slam the fact that TDKR could be nominated for anything, but Warner Brothers would only have a film be considered if it's worthy enough.

That would've been one badass Blu-ray cover.

Love that ad. The film was truly mesmerizing and hypnotic. Out of the 5 times I saw it in the theater. Folks were just staring in awe of the film and in some scenes folks were moving the edge of their seats and clapping.

Good directors tend to do that.

He fills the world the characters inhabit with a great sense of detail , without spending time with irrelevant gothamites.

Its called good filmmaking.

The typical generalization of groups or societies behaviors by creating irrelevant storylines is something a guy like michael bay resorts a lot.

Yup! :word:

Nolan does deserve an Oscar... but not for this film, as amazing as it was.

I think it's just technical awards again guys.

I keep reading complaints on CBM.com over how TDKR shouldn't get any nominations, but I really don't get it...if you look at all the statistics for all three films in Nolan's trilogy, The Dark Knight Rises would be in between The Dark Knight and Batman Begins over critical acclaim, over general audience criticism, over fan criticism, and yet people are making it seem like TDKR doesn't deserve anything. Granted, TDK deserved some more nominations, especially Best Picture, but with the nominations being spread to include more films, why not TDKR? It's a magnificent ending and is indeed one of the best endings to any series of films in a long, long time. That alone should be enough to give TDKR a nom. If a film like Avatar gets acknowledged only for its unique take on 3D and using giant blue aliens instead of humans to narrate a film, then I don't see how TDKR couldn't get nominated.

I almost want TDKR to get nominated for BP if only to have a laugh at all the diehard Bat-geeks complaining at how much of an outrage it is that their favorite character made history. I'd really have to see that to believe it.

I keep reading complaints on CBM.com over how TDKR shouldn't get any nominations, but I really don't get it...if you look at all the statistics for all three films in Nolan's trilogy, The Dark Knight Rises would be in between The Dark Knight and Batman Begins over critical acclaim, over general audience criticism, over fan criticism, and yet people are making it seem like TDKR doesn't deserve anything. Granted, TDK deserved some more nominations, especially Best Picture, but with the nominations being spread to include more films, why not TDKR? It's a magnificent ending and is indeed one of the best endings to any series of films in a long, long time. That alone should be enough to give TDKR a nom. If a film like Avatar gets acknowledged only for its unique take on 3D and using giant blue aliens instead of humans to narrate a film, then I don't see how TDKR couldn't get nominated.

Because it's not good enough.

I almost want TDKR to get nominated for BP if only to have a laugh at all the diehard Bat-geeks complaining at how much of an outrage it is that their favorite character made history. I'd really have to see that to believe it.

Have fun enjoying that hollow victory when it doesn't pick up Directing, Screenplay or Editing award nominations.

It's better than The Artist. That's good enough.

People should just be better sports. I'm not going to complain if if doesn't get nominated, and I don't think it will. But if it does? Who cares? It's one thing to not want it to get nominated, but if it does...many worse films have been nominated, and in some cases won.

2011 -

Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close, Hugo, Midnight in Paris, The Tree of Life

2010 -

The Kids Are All Right

2009 -

2008 -

Milk, The Reader

These weren't good enough, imo, but they still got in.

After extremely loud and incredibly close got in i finally just threw my hands up and stopped caring. That film is so terrible and anger inducing and is the only time I left the theatre steaming mad. I dont want to hear that TDKR or Skyfall or Avengers aren't good enough when that skunk piece of garbage got in.

2011 -

2010 -

The Kids Are All Right

2009 -

2008 -

Milk, The Reader

Yeah, but as a Batfan do you really want The Dark Knight Rises to get nominated on the same grounds? For the nomination of a Batman film as Best Picture to be tainted by the fact that it was the result of campaigning rather than being widely regarded as a great film that deserved it like TDK's nomination would have? That many people will regard it as an undeserved nod?

In a lot of people's opinions, including mine, Nolan screwed up. Of all of Nolan's Batman films, TDKR is the one I would have least wanted to be nominated because it is the one that screws up the Batman mythos. The more I look back upon Nolan's trilogy, the more I can't stand that he reduced Batman to a guy who fought the mob for a few months and then quit because the Joker beat him, and then a decade later came back for one last battle. Like with the ending of Mass Effect 3, i feel like TDKR taints everything that came before. It ruins the whole trilogy's meaning and significance.

Yeah, but as a Batfan do you really want The Dark Knight Rises to get nominated on the same grounds? For the nomination of a Batman film as Best Picture to be tainted by the fact that it was the result of campaigning rather than being widely regarded as a great film that deserved it like TDK's nomination would have? That many people will regard it as an undeserved nod?

In a lot of people's opinions, including mine, Nolan screwed up. Of all of Nolan's Batman films, TDKR is the one I would have least wanted to be nominated because it is the one that screws up the Batman mythos. The more I look back upon Nolan's trilogy, the more I can't stand that he reduced Batman to a guy who fought the mob for a few months and then quit because the Joker beat him, and then a decade later came back for one last battle. Like with the ending of Mass Effect 3, i feel like TDKR taints everything that came before. It ruins the whole trilogy's meaning and significance.

But Bruce's vision of Ra's told him "You, yourself fought the decadence of Gotham for years with all your strength, all your resources, all your moral authority and the only victory you achieved was a lie. Now you understand Gotham is beyond saving and must be allowed to die."

But even if you don't like TDKR, don't be petty and let the first two films be ruined for you. I hate Spider-Man 3; yet I still adore and praise the first two films before it.

2011 -

2010 -

The Kids Are All Right

2009 -

2008 -

Milk, The Reader

So your argument for why the Oscar should nominate movies that dont deserve it, is because they have done it before? What a great fracking logic!

Btw, about half of those did deserve it imo.

:doh:

You guys aren't understanding my point and it sucks that I have to elaborate...

To jmc, TDKR isn't good enough, but I do and seeing how there are films that got nominated and DIDN'T deserve it...it's just funny and so I listed the films that weren't good enough the past four years.

No. TDKR is far more well received than those who believe it doesn't deserve a BP nomination. TDK is considered the best, but does TDKR really have to be as legendary as TDK for it to be nominated? I don't think so. I'll freely admit TDK is also the best but TDKR is not far behind.

Yup. Not even a contender.

Quoted for truth. Aces posts.

And honestly it's not like TDK is the one it would be competing against, which is why i don't put it in the argument consideration. It kind of reminds me of a few years ago where I leaving a showing of TDK and this one lady talked about how she didn't think heath ledger deserved to win for the joker because he didn't win it for brokeback mountain. I remember thinking "I don't think he'll be competing against himself is he?" Never really like that kind of argument.

And these boards confuse me so much sometimes. This wasn't a spider-man 3 situation. This isn't a trilogy where the first 2 get 80 and 90 percent ratings and general audience love them and then the third one comes out and gets a 60. I mean, the response for this one is better than BB's, but you wouldn't know it by coming here. I mean I went on imdb, home of some picky dudes to keep it mildly, and it's got an 8.8, only .2 lower than TDK and i think about .5 higher than BB. I talk to regular joes at my job when we had it and would ask them their opinions, and the majority thought of it very highly. We had it for 4 months, and I haven't seen another movie get as many standing ovations for as long a run as this did.

I think in the end a lot more people overall think this deserves accolades way more than the amount of people who don't, which is the big difference between TDKR and most of the movies that Anno mentioned. Like the movie I hate for example Extremely loud and incredibly close, rotten tomatoes (not the fort knox of ratings I know but still) has that movie at 47%. 47%!!!!!, yet that was a best picture nominee. TDKR is an 87. Yeah, I think it's deserving. Definitely. It's my wish that more genre pics get noms honestly. Last years group had no guts.

Last edited:
And honestly it's not like TDK is the one it would be competing against, which is why i don't put it in the argument consideration. It kind of reminds me of a few years ago where I leaving a showing of TDK and this one lady talked about how she didn't think heath ledger deserved to win for the joker because he didn't win it for brokeback mountain. I remember thinking "I don't think he'll be competing against himself is he?" Never really like that kind of argument.

And these boards confuse me so much sometimes. This wasn't a spider-man 3 situation. This isn't a trilogy where the first 2 get 80 and 90 percent ratings and general audience love them and then the third one comes out and gets a 60. I mean, the response for this one is better than BB's, but you wouldn't know it by coming here. I mean I went on imdb, home of some picky dudes to keep it mildly, and it's got an 8.8, only .2 lower than TDK and i think about .5 higher than BB. I talk to regular joes at my job when we had it and would ask them their opinions, and the majority thought of it very highly. We had it for 4 months, and I haven't seen another movie get as many standing ovations for as long a run as this did.

I think in the end a lot more people overall think this deserves accolades way more than the amount of people who don't, which is the big difference between TDKR and most of the movies that Anno mentioned. Like the movie I hate for example Extremely loud and incredibly close, rotten tomatoes (not the fort knox of ratings I know but still) has that movie at 47%. 47%!!!!!, yet that was a best picture nominee. TDKR is an 87. Yeah, I think it's deserving. Definitely. It's my wish that more genre pics get noms honestly. Last years group had no guts.
*claps and claps*

You'd think TDKR was so bad with all the crap it gets, when everything shows that it's at least better than Batman Begins(which many seems to deny even):

BB:
70/100 Metacritic (8.5 user rating); 85%, 7.7 average rating on RT (62%, 6.7 top critics)

TDK:
82/100 Metacritic (8.9 user rating); 94%, 8.5 average rating on RT (91%, 8.0 top critics)

TDKR:
78/100 Metacritic (8.6 user rating); 87%, 8.0 average rating on RT (76%, 7.9 top critics)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"