TDKR Oscar Chances? - Part 1

Discussion in 'The Dark Knight Rises' started by Thread Manager, Oct 24, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kvz5

kvz5 HBIC

Banner from Awardsdaily.com

[​IMG]

2. TheGuy

TheGuy Well-Known Member

After seeing a rip, I think Wally should get his 2nd award.

3. redfirebird2008

redfirebird2008 Well-Known Member

I disagree with the critics. For me it goes in opposite order. BB is the best by a pretty considerable margin, then TDKR, then TDK. But I do agree with your general point that some folks want to make TDKR out to be some kind of SM3-esque disaster, but that is simply not the reality of the situation. TDKR is by far the most highly praised superhero threequel, both by critics and audiences.

4. Fudgie

Fudgie Well-Known Member

The critics are dead right about TDK being the best. Begins is no prize but it's better than Rises any day.

5. Dragon_316ca

Dragon_316ca Well-Known Member

6. BatLobsterRises

BatLobsterRises Lobsterized

Oh wow, I thought Zimmer was disqualified based on this being a sequel? Guess not.

Go Zimmer!

7. Dragon_316ca

Dragon_316ca Well-Known Member

Zimmer was disqualified for his TDK score because five names were listed on the music cue sheet. The Academy considers works by either one or two composers.

8. Anno_Domini

Anno_Domini Well-Known Member

Right on :up:

I'm pleased some people understand my point.

9. Dark Knight

Dark Knight Well-Known Member

Therein lies the problem with the Academy and their overall hypocritical and disrespectful views on the comic book film genre in general.

Sci Fi Fantasy type movies like Avatar can be nominated in multiple categories and even in the Best Picture category as well as a Fantasy movie like the Lord of the Rings films can end up being nominated in multiple categories and even end up winning Best Picture, along with an Action/War Drama film (TDKR is an action/ urban war film) like Gladiator can be recognized and even win Best Picture, but the last two Dark Knight films are snubbed because they are comic book genre films??

Utterly hypocritical and disrespectful toward the comic book genre of films and especially toward the last two Dark Knight Batman films.

The Academy has serious issues to get over.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2012
  10. antovolk

antovolk Well-Known Member

WB Awards screeners - TDKR is one of them (love the cover)
    [​IMG]

11. Anno_Domini

Argo was fantastic.

The Dark Knight Rises was amazing.

Cloud Atlas was okay.

12. DaRkVeNgeanCe

DaRkVeNgeanCe An Epic Film Guy

I have still yet to see Argo or Cloud Atlas, very excited to see them though.

13. Brain Damage

Brain Damage Everything Under the Sun

Argo was freaking fantastic :up:
    If it won Best Picture, I would not be disappointed.

14. BatLobsterRises

Man, I SO wish that Rises cover would end up as the cover for the Deluxe Edition that comes out next year.

15. Dark Knight

I tell ya.

If TDKR is not one of the 10 films to be nominated for Best Picture this year, than the Academy will basically confirm (again) it's stupidity.

16. Anno_Domini

I'll tell you something now. If Cloud Atlas is nominated, it would be this year's Avatar that has no reason to be nominated. The Wachowskis are no longer "greats" in my book since they've gone down a very slippery slope ever since The Matrix Reloaded.

17. Dark Knight

Agreed. Clout Atlas was nothing special. A drag of a film IMO.

I liked the roles Hanks played though.

18. CapedCrusader14

Argo should have a guaranteed nomination in the bag. Hell, I think it'd be great if it wins. My 3rd favourite film of the year.

19. DACrowe

DACrowe Well-Known Member

I did not know Cronenberg said that. He does know that A History of Violence (his best film in the last 20 years) was based on a comic book, right? Oh excuse me, "graphic novel."

I do agree with the notion that a superhero is juvenile in its inception, but that does not mean it cannot be elevated to something more. I wouldn't argue The Avengers should be recognized for Best Picture, but I think The Dark Knight was the best film of 2008 and The Dark Knight Rises is certainly one of the 10 best movies of 2012 (though not near the top, IMO).

But I am not surprised by such snobbery. It took forever for LOTR to be recognized. And I think the only horror film to be recognized was Black Swan, because it was about ballet and the acting and images were astounding. Still, it is surprising to hear Cronenberg be the voice of such narrow-mindedness. This is a man who spent much of his early career trying, and usually succeeding, in elevating horror into art with movies like The Fly and The Dead Zone. Horror is in itself a mass consumed genre that usually aims for the lowest denominator. But I doubt he would speak so lowly of films that have elevated it, including his own.

That is very surprising.

20. Visiting Arkham

Visiting Arkham Well-Known Member

This year's nominees:

The Master
    Argo
    Silver Linings Playbook
    Lincoln
    Les Miserables
    The Hobbit
    Django Unchained
    Zero Dark Thirty
    Life of Pi
    Holy Motors

Underdogs:

Beasts of the Suthern Wild
    Anna Karenina
    The Sessions
    Moonrise Kingdom
    Amour
    This is 40
    The Promised Land
    Looper
    Cloud Atlas

These are all films that will make it before The Dark Knight Rises, so I would ask that everyone keep their expectations low for a Best Picture Nod. Like, under the foundations of the southeast corner low. Look to the technical awards, which will be difficult enough with juggernauts like The Hobbit and Les Mis in the field.

21. BatLobsterRises

This is 40 has a better chance? Really?

I'm serious, does it honestly have that kind of buzz?

22. Visiting Arkham

Visiting Arkham Well-Known Member

It's all relative to what the Academy would nominate and vote for. Remember, these are the same people who nominated Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close.

This is 40 has been getting decent buzz, and since it's more of a dramedy with a highly influential director in Judd Apatow, it definitely has a better shot at being nominated than a superhero film like The Dark Knight Rises. Remember, all this is based on what has happened historically. There will be a superhero film eventually nominated for Best Picture, but if it was going to be anything it would have been The Dark Knight, which was such a massive cultural sensation when it came out, and more universally beloved.

23. DACrowe

DACrowe Well-Known Member

I think The Hobbit is going to see a major backlash. It might be good, but I bet it is received as apathetically as King Kong and The Lovely Bones were considering it's going to be a 3 hour movie that only makes up A THIRD of an adaptation of a 400-page book (i.e. incredibly overbloated and self-indulgent).

Also, TDKR has a far better shot than Looper and Cloud Atlas, the former of which wasn't received nearly as positively (nor has the taint of "snub" from a previous entry) and the latter of which flopped at the box office and got 50/50 reviews from critics who are more inclined to embrace that sort of unstructured film than Academy voters.

I have no idea what the hype is like for This is 40, but I would be stunned if an Apatow film is ever nominated for a major award. I do agree, TDKR is a long shot, but some of your "underdogs" are more like "underants." I am serious.

24. Deserana

Deserana 2005/2008/2012

TDKR is as universally loved if not more than TDK... may not seem it looking through these forums but it really is.

25. Brain Damage

Brain Damage Everything Under the Sun

False. Most reviews (even the positive ones) note it as being inferior to TDK. And speaking from personal experience, pretty much everyone I know who's seen it feels the same way.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.