TDKR Oscar Chances? - Part 1

Discussion in 'The Dark Knight Rises' started by Thread Manager, Oct 24, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tacit Ronin

Tacit Ronin Well-Known Member

Filming in IMAX was a great achievement, but the amount of stuff Jackson and his wonderful team pioneered is EARTH SHATTERING. This trilogy doesn't even begin to compare.

2. batbax

batbax Well-Known Member

I'm sure the Lotr forums wherever they exist still have space available.

3. I Am The Knight

I Am The Knight Infinity

lolol

4. DACrowe

DACrowe Well-Known Member

I don't know think there is any need to have a pissing contest between LOTR and TDK. Yes, what Jackson achieved was amazing and he deserved that win, especially for Director, in 2003. However, what Nolan achieved is certainly quite stunning and did elevate the genre into respectable art (sorry to disagree, Cronenberg), at least with the second two. For that reason, I do believe TDKR deserves at least a token 10th nomination. There are better movies this year than TDKR (though TDK in 2008 is a different story....), but I am sure it will be better than some of the fare the Academy chooses to recognize anyways--think Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close last year.

And it certainly has a better shot than some of the films naysayers on this board are suggesting will get in in front of it like Looper, Cloud Atlas, Life at 40 and, in all honesty, I think it has just as good a shot as The Hobbit. But that is only because I think
    the Hobbit will disappoint next month.

5. Tequilla

Tequilla Well-Known Member

I dont think a movie should be celebrated by how much difficult it was to make. Or else Mr. Gilliam would have a full shelf.

I honestly think if a movie like ROTK wins 11 (or 12 ? i dont remember) oscars , than any movie is up for consideration.That's why i always feel the proportion and interest regarding the oscars to me is baffling. I simply cant understand the phenomenon. But it was much worst a long time ago , as time passes by , as cinema (worlwide cinema ) is available to anyone , the whole thing is losing some of its importance (or maybe my perception is completely wrong)

I feel time has not been kind to Jackon's project. I really like fellowship (until the council) , but the other two...ugh. Recently i rewatched it , and a lot of things feels really dated. But i have no idea why im writing this in a Batman forum :woot:

So yeah , i completely disagree. Not the audacity of the project , i believe it was a labor of love and sweat , but the quality of it is not very good. From a filmmaking point of view (and that is what matters to me) , Nolan's Batman to me is much more impressive project (and im not saying this because of some bias regarding my favorite superhero , because i'm also very fond of Tolkiens work , )

But i also have to say i wont be disappointed if Batman dont get any recognition. Its not the type of thing we should care.

6. Fudgie

Fudgie Well-Known Member

Quoted for truth, gents :word:

7. The Guard

The Guard Well-Known Member

8. BatLobsterRises

BatLobsterRises Lobsterized

Yeah, I don't think anyone would dispute that the LOTR trilogy was a massive achievement. I'm not even the biggest fan of that trilogy, but I still think what Jackson achieved was greatly impressive.

That said, I wouldn't necessarily say it's more ambitious than the Star Wars Trilogy just because it was shot all at one time. Likewise, there are things about the TDK trilogy that I find more daring and bold than I do either Star Wars or LOTR. Nolan doing everything without a second unit director would just be one to name off the top of my head.

Bottom line, to tell one big story over the course of multiple films is certainly an immense undertaking, and a huge challenge both from a creative and logistical standpoint. It's part of why I also felt Harry Potter and The Deathly Hallows: Part 2 deserved a nomination.

9. CConn

CConn Fountainhead of culture.

Eh, I dunno, impressiveness aside, I still like TDK better than both TT and ROTK.

And that's not being bias, as I do prefer FOTR over all of Nolan's Batman movies. :o

10. batbax

batbax Well-Known Member

Quoted for truth.:)

11. antovolk

antovolk Well-Known Member

I know that it's pointless pushing TDKR for Oscars as "it doesn't really deserve to win anything", but whatever, after seeing what some fans did in '08 with the Joker, I threw this together:
    [​IMG]

12. TheBat812

TheBat812 Well-Known Member

What Jackson pulled off for LOTR was a technical marvel, and really deserves credit for taking bloated and boringly written books and making me care about the characters and getting rid of the tedious sections. It was definitely a huge risk in the way they chose to do it as well.

But he was doing a direct adaptation for the most part, whereas the TDK trilogy is an amalgam of some of the best themes and stories from 70 years of history put together in a way few others could have imagined. All three films are incredibly different in terms of structure and style, while still all feeling incredibly coherent. Each film can stand alone as very solid films (all three are significantly above average) but improve each other as a trilogy. All that to say that they're each their own epic endeavors and both gave me some of the most well told and thematically dense and layered films that only get better with each repeat viewing (although I'd say TDK is a bit deeper in that regard for me). Both pushed the industry technically, LOTR by setting the bar for CGI believability, TDK for bringing back use of big time practical effects and using CG to great minimal effect, a huge part of the reason people perceive these films as more realistic than they really try to be.

LOTR was amazing, but each film was a direct expansion of the last. TDK trilogy evolves as it continues, exploring three different ways to approach the action genre. It's just much more cinematically bold and innovative, and that's why it would be a shame to me if TDKR is not at least nominated Best Picture and Best Director. Nolan is simply one of the few directors out there truly pushing the medium and he deserves recognition on that front.

13. Dragon_316ca

Dragon_316ca Well-Known Member

14. Anno_Domini

Anno_Domini Well-Known Member

All of these 'For Your Consideration' posters and note cards look better than any Blu-ray/DVD cover of TDKR.

15. BlueLightning

BlueLightning Caballero de la Luz

Is not pointless. A nomination at least is deserved, it was a great film in my opinion.

16. batbax

batbax Well-Known Member

Not pointless at all. Especially not after viewing all these "shoe ins" the film snobs in this thread swore were untouchable 5 months before release. Tdkr more than holds its own this year and then some.

17. Brain Damage

Brain Damage Everything Under the Sun

Yup. So much yup.

18. Dragon_316ca

Dragon_316ca Well-Known Member

19. Anno_Domini

Once more...a 'For Your Consideration' poster that looks way better than any of the Blu-ray/DVD covers.

So would TDKR have a better chance at winning more at the Golden Globes or Oscars?

20. Dark Knight

Dark Knight Well-Known Member

LOL

Quoted for Truth! :oldrazz:

21. Dark Knight

Lovely!

22. Dark Knight

Bravo!

23. I Am The Knight

I Am The Knight Infinity

MTV Movie Awards :oldrazz:

24. CapedCrusader14

Oh for the love of...damn it WB! These posters are gorgeous and I want them.

25. Anno_Domini

No, that's for The Amazing Spider-Man to win, lol.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.