Age of Ultron The Avengers 2! The Official News and Speculation Thread - Upgrade section 5 - Part 6

Status
Not open for further replies.
I kind of think that we won't see the armors at all in the MCU again until A3. Now Stark will be a part of things for sure, but I have a feeling he won't put the IM armor on again until the feces hits the fan with Thanos. Then, when it looks like it's the end for the team and the universe The AC/DC cranks up and Iron Man lands to rally the troops against the Death Loving Eternal. If we see promo material for A2 with RDJ in the armor, then I'm wrong. But the way IM3 ended, I could see them building up Tony, sans armor, as a force on the team. Maybe that's even why the Maximoffs are brought in.

Damn you, thread manager! :argh:

Much more! And a good writer can raise the stakes and make the danger seem real without actually killing them off.

I totally agree, which is why I cannot understand the common belief that a film has no stakes if no major characters die. The stakes come from the peril the heroes are in, not necessarily from their deaths. Tension arises from the danger rising ever higher, the time for salvation dwindling ever lower. What's at stake is always a bigger catastrophe than the loss of one life. A city will be destroyed, the world will end, an important person or a loved one will die, etc. When the situation becomes so strained that the audience is on the edge of its seat and the heroes are at the end of their rope, that's when the stakes are highest.

Damn you, thread manager! :argh:

I totally agree, which is why I cannot understand the common belief that a film has no stakes if no major characters die. The stakes come from the peril the heroes are in, not necessarily from their deaths. Tension arises from the danger rising ever higher, the time for salvation dwindling ever lower. What's at stake is always a bigger catastrophe than the loss of one life. A city will be destroyed, the world will end, an important person or a loved one will die, etc. When the situation becomes so strained that the audience is on the edge of its seat and the heroes are at the end of their rope, that's when the stakes are highest.

Yeah, but what about "playing it safe"? :cwink:

I kind of think that we won't see the armors at all in the MCU again until A3. Now Stark will be a part of things for sure, but I have a feeling he won't put the IM armor on again until the feces hits the fan with Thanos. Then, when it looks like it's the end for the team and the universe The AC/DC cranks up and Iron Man lands to rally the troops against the Death Loving Eternal. If we see promo material for A2 with RDJ in the armor, then I'm wrong. But the way IM3 ended, I could see them building up Tony, sans armor, as a force on the team. Maybe that's even why the Maximoffs are brought in.
Come on. Of course he's going to wear armor in this.

Come on. Of course he's going to wear armor in this.

Welp... I don't know about that. The end of IM3 made me think that it's possible that Tony is given a rest from the "field work" duties of superheroing. I could see Joss/RDJ keeping Tony away from the big budget action stuff and leave him in "dramatic lode bearing" mode for at least as long as A2. Then even in A3 he's not armored up until the finale. I'm not saying that I don't have hemmoroids from pulling this out my you know what. Just an idea bruther man. :woot:

Last edited:
Haha, it's fun to think about I guess but you know as well as I do that he's gonna be right in the middle of the big third act action scene in a spiffy new Ultron-proof armor :oldrazz:

Yeah, but what about "playing it safe"? :cwink:

"Playing it safe" is having a traditional Mandarin in faux Chinese garb with magical rings he stole from a space dragon, my friend. :o

The only franchise that goes about mass killing superpowered characters are the X-films, and we all know how well that went over. People didn't say, "Wow, killing Prox X and Cyclops in the first act was such a great move! Once that happened we knew it was really high stakes." Turning Jean into a third act killing machine didn't make things more exciting, either. So if Ultron turns Stark Tower into a superhero Hamburger Hill, there's a high likelihood of that going over like a lead balloon even if it satisfies Whedon's murderous impulses.

WHEDON'S MURDEROUS IMPULSES is my favorite new band!

Killing Professor X and Cyclops wasn't what pissed people off. It was HOW and WHEN they died and the fact that they got shortchanged character wise. Also, Jean going nuts is a GOOD thing because she was the Phoenix. Again, it was how it was portrayed that was the problem.

Did you guys see IMDB's synopsis for this movie??:

"As the US Government create a force, known as Ultron, The Avengers are told they are not needed any longer. But when Ultron turns against Humanity, it's time for The Avengers to assemble yet again for their most dangerous challenge ever."

I wonder where they came up with that
..government created?

Quote from Whedon:

“Well, I feel like in Iron Man 3, even though he said, ‘I’ve changed' -- he blew up his remote suits, but I don’t think anybody thinks he doesn’t have one anymore. The question is, if The Avengers are called, does he show up? And the answer is, ‘Yes!’”

..government created?

I hope this leads to them using the new Avengers tower as a base.

Killing Professor X and Cyclops wasn't what pissed people off. It was HOW and WHEN they died and the fact that they got shortchanged character wise. Also, Jean going nuts is a GOOD thing because she was the Phoenix. Again, it was how it was portrayed that was the problem.
It pissed off people who were interested in the future of the X-franchise rather than just one film. All those ambitious X4 plans went straight out the window and would have stayed out the window even if X3 has been well received.

Killing major heroes in comic films is cheap as they'll never stay dead. It actually lowers the stakes in my view as it reminds the audience that there is no death in comic related content aside from secondary or **** characters. Would people actually shed a tear if one of our heroes supposedly died or would they go straight into he'll-be-back mode. Better is to make the danger seem real, allow the big guys to sustain significant injuries and as a result to go out of commission for a film or 2. Works perfectly with a rotating roster.

Also the one time I think a death would be appropriate is a non-Universe one shot or the definite end to a trilogy like The Dark Knight Rises. Would have been fine with Batman dying there as that death could be sealed in film history.

Last edited:
I wonder if we will ever see Tim Blake Nelson as the Leader again?

hope so, love to see him show up on Agents Of SHIELD, maybe the Season baddie

Hopefully not. I thought he was terrible.

..government created?

"They" came up with that in the fevered and illiterate mind of an IMDB user. Ah, peer editing: license to troll.

"As the US Government create a force, known as Ultron, The Avengers are told they are not needed any longer. But when Ultron turns against Humanity, it's time for The Avengers to assemble yet again for their most dangerous challenge ever."

..government created?

If Hank/Mr Fantastic aren't going to be in this movie I actually think a fair and logical way to go is a government agency creating Ultron as a "World Defender".

I'd like to see Tony not have a role in creating Ultron, I feel like now everyones stealing his tech and using it against him. I think it would be cool to see Ultron being created, SHIELD knowing but keeping it hidden from Tony and The Avengers until it's up and running. Then when **** hits the fan Tony can have more of a problem with SHIELD (a conflict I always liked)

Avengers are going to create Ultron...Whedon explicitly said so. As it should be. IMDb is a complete crock with this stuff.

Avengers are going to create Ultron...Whedon explicitly said so. As it should be. IMDb is a complete crock with this stuff.

They could create Ultron in the sense that it was created in order to not have them. So indirectly they're the creators when the gov't or whomever creates him. If tht makes sense. But since this comes from IMDB I give it no chance of being real haha

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"