The Avengers The Avengers Box-Office Prediction Thread - Part 3

Status
Not open for further replies.
200 mil? Wow. Awesome, it deserves every cent!

WB/DC has Christopher Nolan.

Disney/Marvel has Joss Whedon.

Btw, does Joss have any movie ideas that need any funding? Im sure theyll literally be throwing the money at him.

After years of eating JJ Abrams dust, Whedon finally can pull a check mate on his old rival.

Btw, does Joss have any movie ideas that need any funding? Im sure theyll literally be throwing the money at him.

Like Nolan, I would say Whedon is highly responsible for this reaction. Marvel must still be scratching their collective heads.

so you don't think Star Trek will outdo this next year?

Uh, not a chance. It should be successful, but I think they waited a bit too long to truly capitalize on ST's success.

From Here http://www.thecinemasource.com/blog...n-the-woods-goners-the-buffy-reboot-and-more/

Not too long ago, Universal announced that they had bought a script from Joss entitled Goners. The mystical fantasy yarn had a lot of hype but in the end it got “put on the back burner.” Though IMDB lists the film as “announced” for a 2011 release, Joss seemed to think that the project was basically dead. In an older interview, Joss described Goners as, “A fantasy thriller about a modern day girl who goes on a really strange ride.” “It’s about a girl named Mia, people know that, who sort of sees in a mystical way the underbelly of the city and of human society, and goes through a kind of extraordinary hell, and we all have a lot of fun in the process. …This is much more a story about — literally about human connection and whether or not it’s possible. … But it’s told on a very mystical scale and, in a way like everything I’ve tried to do including Buffy, it’s an antidote to that very kind of film, the horror movie with the expendable human beings in it. Because I don’t believe any human beings are.”He noted during this presentation, with a completely straight face, that one of the executives who had read the script had told him that they liked it but that “it has the burden of not being a sequel.”

I really wish they let him do that... Universal: free Goners.

I am crossing my fingers that Whedon does one more Serenity film!!

Yeah ,I remember reading about Goners .
I hope Joss also gets a chance to tackle a Serenity sequel as well.

Very happy to see around the $200 million opening weekend.

I went to the midnight show, friday show, saturday show and sunday. Each time with different people. I loved the movie and it deserves everything it's receiving :D

Joss has said he's closed the book on Firefly/Serenity and moved on. But I would love to see him finally get a chance to make Goners. Who knows, maybe this could even enhance the budget of his Wastelanders webseries with Warren Ellis.

Oh yeah, a Serenity sequel would be cool, but I dont know if theyd go for that. Itd be a sequel to a 8 or 9 year old movie.

Goners sounds like itd have a better chance of getting made.

From Here http://www.thecinemasource.com/blog...n-the-woods-goners-the-buffy-reboot-and-more/

Not too long ago, Universal announced that they had bought a script from Joss entitled Goners. The mystical fantasy yarn had a lot of hype but in the end it got “put on the back burner.” Though IMDB lists the film as “announced” for a 2011 release, Joss seemed to think that the project was basically dead. In an older interview, Joss described Goners as, “A fantasy thriller about a modern day girl who goes on a really strange ride.” “It’s about a girl named Mia, people know that, who sort of sees in a mystical way the underbelly of the city and of human society, and goes through a kind of extraordinary hell, and we all have a lot of fun in the process. …This is much more a story about — literally about human connection and whether or not it’s possible. … But it’s told on a very mystical scale and, in a way like everything I’ve tried to do including Buffy, it’s an antidote to that very kind of film, the horror movie with the expendable human beings in it. Because I don’t believe any human beings are.”He noted during this presentation, with a completely straight face, that one of the executives who had read the script had told him that they liked it but that “it has the burden of not being a sequel.”

I really wish they let him do that... Universal: free Goners.

I think Universal will probably greenlight this movie, just so they can advertise Joss Whedon as "the director of 200-mil OW The Avengers movie!" in its advertisements. :woot:

I'm still over the moon at the incredible success of TA; I was optimistic but I didn't think it would actually cross the 200 mil threshold. Your move, DC.

Wow $200M?!?! That many people wanted to see the new Dark Knight Rises trailer on the big screen! :woot:

By now with this success though Disney must be cheered up after John Carter failed!
Possibly but maybe an entire franchise was killed off with JC's failure. Avengers is probably one of the most franchisable film products around anyway so I guess they have cheered up.

That's a bit overstating it but it would be embarrassing for Disney if that happened, no doubt. Which I'm sure they know and so I highly doubt they would have given the estimation they did(which no other studios are second guessing, I might add) if they weren't largely sure the estimates would hold or go up.
Finke was saying she thought they'd lowballed it if anything.

Last edited:
Just got out for seeing it my first time. This movie deserves every penny it makes.

You waited til today to watch it Travesty? For shame for shame. ;)

I'm wondering how many more weeks until Avengers reaches 1 billion worldwide. Almost $700 million in 13 days is insane.

You waited til today to watch it Travesty? For shame for shame. ;)
I tried so many times on both nights, and it was sold out for all the showings. So, I bought a ticket last night. Trust me, I wanted to go, but no theater would sell me a ticket....and I can see why its so popular.

I hope it makes a billion worldwide and finds a spot on the top five all-time list of highest-grossing movies. It's a long shot for it to be number one but I can always dream, right? :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"