The Batsuit Thread - Part 8

Discussion in 'Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice' started by Thread Manager, Nov 21, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Poopyman

Poopyman Active Member

Does anyone like the costume from DC Universe online?

2. Afrobean

Afrobean Well-Known Member

No? I don't know from personal experience, but I do believe that criminals have a fear of police. They are not fearless, they fear those who might hurt or stop them. Batman is one who can stop them, and he'll do things the police never would. Of course criminals would fear Batman. Not BECAUSE of his theatrical attire, of course, but because of his results. The costume just amplifies his mythic status.

The Kryptonians had armor that could take a beating from Superman without injuring the non-powered folk inside. Sure, he eventually broke through the armor anyway, but it still succeeded in protecting the wearer from super-powered blows, so the rules of this universe say it's possible. There's also the Kryptonian material that made up Superman and Zod's "costumes". The cape and suit may have some degree of super-durability, so we might see other similar scifi materials appearing in this universe. It may even be explained as being reverse engineered from the material left behind in the Kryptonian ships or that Zod was wearing when Supes ended him. Maybe this universe is one of the ones where anything from Krypton becomes stronger on Earth and not just the people.

3. B:TAS

B:TAS The Bat

Agree, Batmans going to have to outsmart supes in a fight

4. B:TAS

5. roach

roach I am the night

But thats the thing…no one thinks its a guy running around in a costume…they think its some sort of creature

6. B:TAS

The argument that the GA would not accept trunks is not true at all because the Arkham games include trunks and those are VERY well received from the GA

7. Sawyer

Sawyer High King

video games =/= live action film

8. matt47

matt47 Well-Known Member

Exactly.

9. Juha Bach

Juha Bach Well-Known Member

I can only speak for myself, but if the batsuit has trunks it would look stupid. While i am of the opinion that the suit differ from TDKT, there are a few design concepts that i can still see being incorporated.

10. matt47

matt47 Well-Known Member

Yeah I'm sorry but I just don't see Zack n team putting trunks on batman when they couldn't put them on superman

11. Kevin Smith

Kevin Smith Well-Known Member

Oval (ellipse) symbol any day. If not just to be the symbol they use on posters.... it looks fantastic and is a great marketing tool. Definitely want to see the yellow oval (ellipse) again some day asap. :up:

12. Llama_Shepherd

Llama_Shepherd Well-Known Member

How many people in the United States do you think would believe there is a benevloent 6 foot bat roaming a major city and turning in criminals?

It's silly to think that, or at least as silly as wearing two colours of clothing on your lower body.

13. Afrobean

Afrobean Well-Known Member

They should just reveal that Man-bat popped up during Batman's first year in Gotham and then it's totally believable that criminals would think he's more than "just" a man. If Man-bat happened in the real world, I'd say all bets are off.

14. regwec

regwec Make Mine Marble

I think some of you are missing the point. For the sake of the comics/movies/etc, criminals are frightened of Batman. I don't personally believe that is a realistic situation, partly because Batman himself with his infinite abilities is unrealistic even by comic book standards. In reality, he would be a sad, confused, dead man, probably decaying at the bottom of a storm drain within hours of beginning his absurd mission.

Fortunately for us, however, this is all wish-fulfilling make believe, where the hero always prevails and the villains are always beaten yet rarely die. That's all a given. It doesn't matter that it's absurd, because the absurdity is part of the appeal.

Too stupid to sustain, however, is the notion that all of that fantasy and make believe can be lapped up without question; unless the invincible hero wears trunks over his suit. If he wears trunks, the notion that criminals would fear him or that he could fight crime in this way, apparently becomes ridiculous.

Dumb.

15. D.P.

D.P. Well-Known Member

That's true, but to play devil's advocate since you haven't directly addressed the poster above you, what function would the trunks serve?

I really don't care either way as long as it looks good, but I'm curious as to your thoughts on it.

16. Llama_Shepherd

Llama_Shepherd Well-Known Member

But that then undermines the premise of Man of Steel. In that Superman is the first paranormal entity.

17. Shikamaru

Shikamaru Well-Known Member

To be fair, a real-life Batman would also not be able to do half the stuff Batman can do in the comics. A real-life Batman wouldn't achieve the same intimidating effect because of that.

18. regwec

regwec Make Mine Marble

I don't really have any thoughts, because I also do not care either way.

I just find the purported absurdity of Batman's trunks to be very low down on the list of absurdities affixed to that character and the fictional world in which he is resident.

19. TheGospelOfMark

TheGospelOfMark Well-Known Member

The yellow oval works when Batman can completely cover himself in his cape, like in BTAS. Love it.

20. afan

afan Well-Known Member

This would be accurate following his first appearances, but most would eventually realize he is not some sort of creature.......especially if he drives "the" muscle car of Gotham City. However that realization would not diminish the fear factor one bit, which is why he embraces the image of the bat as his signature.
    And let's not forget his detective skills and intellect which contribute to the fear he instills. Surely his ability to stay many steps ahead of his prey and to always be in the right place at the right time must weigh heavy on Gotham's underworld.

Re. the trunks......for both Batman and Superman.......I just think the aesthetic of the costume is better with them......with no rhyme or reason for their presence other than that. There are many super-heroes created at the same period as Batman and Superman whose costumes do not include trunks, so the idea that trunks are "dated" seems mis-informed to me. If they are "dated" why don't all the heroes created around the same date also sport trunks.......For me the answer is more likely that the aesthetic of the individual design did not require trunks?

21. Boy Scout

Boy Scout Well-Known Member

Honestly, I don't care what they do as long as it looks good and is appropriate for the character and the movie they want to make. Of course I have preferences, but I don't mind something totally different from those as long as it doesn't look like crap.

22. The Shape

The Shape In the shadows

As I've stated before, I guess I'd consider myself to be against the trunks in live action at this point. This isn't because I hate them or think they're "st00pid" necessarily. In fact, I love the trunks in the pre-New52 comics and they have never bothered me in the slightest. Jim Lee's renderings of Batman in Hush, for example, is among my favorites.

With that said, I do believe the trunks are by far the LEAST essential aspect of Batman's iconic look. In my eyes, Batman needs the boots, gauntlets, belt, cape, cowl, and Batsymbol --- hopefully, we can agree that ALL live action interpretations of Batman have have these things in one way or another. The trunks are not nearly as important. As we saw in MOS, Superman's trunks do not define him. They do not "make or break" the character, and the same can be said for Batman.

If there is ever a period piece Batman film, in which he is purposefully meant to have a retro or vintage look, then I say bring on the trunks. But for this upcoming modern-day re-imagining of the character, I say no trunks, please. UNLESS they devise a way to make them look natural and it isn't jarring or distracting.

Also, at the end of the day, I wish some people could just admit that it really comes to down to personal preference instead of trying to create hollow arguments for or against them.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2013
  23. roach

roach I am the night

How many people in the US believe in UFO's or Bigfoot or the Lizard man or the Jersey Devil?

24. Astro13Zombie

Astro13Zombie Well-Known Member

Were nightowl's trunks ever noticeable enough to be jarring or distracting?

25. roach

roach I am the night

Did anyone complain about the trunks in Superman Returns?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.