BvS The Batsuit Thread - Part 8

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't really have any thoughts, because I also do not care either way.

I just find the purported absurdity of Batman's trunks to be very low down on the list of absurdities affixed to that character and the fictional world in which he is resident.

So, if you find the character of Batman and his fictional world so absurd, why would you take the time to make your opinion, which could be seen as insulting to some fans and a bit combative, known over and over on a Batman-specific thread? It seems a bit strange to me.

So, if you find the character of Batman and his fictional world so absurd, why would you take the time to make your opinion, which could be seen as insulting to some fans and a bit combative, known over and over on a Batman-specific thread? It seems a bit strange to me.

I think the point he was trying to make is if you can accept a man being the peak of human physicality fighting crazed clowns, clay people, frozen crime bosses and man bats…the trunks shouldn't be a problem.

I don't remember any complaints about that trunks specifically,but the suit as a whole got alot of hate.

I think the suit was ok actually, even with the trunks. It was appropriate for that movie.

I think the point he was trying to make is if you can accept a man being the peak of human physicality fighting crazed clowns, clay people, frozen crime bosses and man bats…the trunks shouldn't be a problem.

That may be what he was trying to convey, but that just shows that most of the absurdity you specifically mentioned lives comfortably in the comics, but wouldn't translate all that well into the new film universe (at least Snyder's anyway).

Regwec's not saying that he doesn't like batman and his world.
He's got Ra's al ghul as his avatar for ****s sake.:funny:

He's just pointing out that people like to pick and choose what is and what isn't silly from a character/world that is all around pretty silly.

For example..
Believing that the trunks are stupid and unrealistic,but completely accepting a story about a man who goes out and fights crime dressed in a pointy eared bat costume.

Did anyone complain about the trunks in Superman Returns?

Not the inclusion of the trunks per se ..........but the size/design of them got a lot of discussion/complaints.

Did anyone complain about the trunks in Superman Returns?
A lot of posters hated the suit and didn't like the way the trunks looked, they didn't like how low on Routh's hips they were. I didn't have any huge issues with the suit I just didn't like the film. Well I did think the cape looked too much like a Fruit Rollup but that's about it.

I don't think trunks are horrible I just prefer suits without them. Also I don't think it would make any sense for Batman to have trunks when Supes doesn't.

I thought it was pretty bad.:funny:

Was an origin given for the suit in that movie?
I can't remember.

I didn't like the movie all that much, so it was pretty appropriate to me. Also, Returns was suppose to be a lose continuation of the Donner Superman films, so the suit origin wasn't necessary in returns I don't think.

A lot of posters hated the suit and didn't like the way the trunks looked, they didn't like how low on Routh's hips they were. I didn't have any huge issues with the suit I just didn't like the film. Well I did think the cape looked too much like a Fruit Rollup but that's about it.

I don't think trunks are horrible I just prefer suits without them. Also I don't think it would make any sense for Batman to have trunks when Supes doesn't.

I really don't think that matters. Supes gets his fashion style from another planet, Batman isn't modeling his outfit on Kryptonian styles.

I really don't care either way on the trunks, but I think they could easily be made to look fine in live action.

Last edited:
I like symmetry in Superman and Batman's costume design. Also the the cool and dark character is wearing his underwear on the outside while the square Superhero isn't? Doesn't make sense to me.

I like symmetry in Superman and Batman's costume design. Also the the cool and dark character is wearing his underwear on the outside while the square Superhero isn't? Doesn't make sense to me.

There definitely is symmetry in the designs of the two characters, because they're more or less the same design with a few small changes. But there doesn't have to be in the film.

And it really all depends on how the trunks would be designed in terms of how they come off. I think they could make them work. But at the same time, I also see why they don't bother with it. The trunks really only served the purpose of breaking up the body in the comics, and you don't need them for that in live action.

I don't think trunks are horrible I just prefer suits without them. Also I don't think it would make any sense for Batman to have trunks when Supes doesn't.[/QUOTE]

I really don't think that matters. Supes gets his fashion style from another planet, Batman isn't modeling his outfit on Kryptonian styles.

I really don't care either way on the trunks, but I think they could easily be made to look fine in live action.

If Supes doesn't need trunks because his suit is based on alien fashions, what rational would Batman have for his suit having trunks? Hypothetically, what would he have pulled inspiration from? Professional wrestling? I mean honestly, like I've said in the past as well, I don't really care either way myself, but I enjoy reading the fans' reasoning. Edit that: I do prefer seeing no trunks on the Batman suit in the next movie, but wouldn't be upset in the least if they made trunks work.

Last edited:

"Absurd" does not equal "pointless". Many of Batman's so-called absurdities are what make him so awesome and are the reasons we love the character so much.

Honestly I don't need for there to be a reason for the trunks to be there.
I hate this idea that absolutely everything needs to be explained in these movies.

Were nightowl's trunks ever noticeable enough to be jarring or distracting?

Not really, but then again, he wasn't positioned against or next to a similarly costumed hero without trunks. Even Ozymandias had what can be described as trunks.

Also, Watchmen was set in the 1980s and Nite Owl's costume was essentially a send-up of Batman, anyway.

I hate this idea that absolutely everything needs to be explained in these movies.

I agree - I don't think everything has to be explained either. We got that with Nolan's Batman, which was cool, but the rebooted Batman doesn't need to do that I don't think. It would just seem like a nod to the past - be it good or bad ultimately.

Last edited:
I agreed - I don't think everything has to be explained either. We got that with Nolan's Batman, which was cool, but the rebooted Batman doesn't need to do that I don't think.

I'm willing to bet hardly anything about this new Batman will be "explained" in this BvS movie. No need to worry.

Ugh, I really hate that argument. It is a poorly thought out argument that was originally created to defend poorly written pieces of fiction that has, through the years, spread everywhere including into topics such as this.

Just because someone created a universe where x can happen does not mean y and z can happen in that same universe too. There are different kinds of realism and unrealism in fiction. Universes still have a set of rules they have to play by - rules established in this universe from the beginning. There are universes where sci-fi is real but there is no magic. There are universes gods are real but where alternate universes aren't. There are universes where superpowers/extraordinary abilities exist but the way people react to them are exactly like how we in real life would react to them (which is the case with MOS). Whatever the case is, things have to be logical in the context of their respective universe.

The same applies to your example. I'll play devil's advocate and answer your question from the perspective of a "trunks hater". I can buy superpowers existing in this universe because they're realistic in the context of this universe (even though they're unrealistic in the context of our own universe) but I cannot buy that a guy would wear trunks on the outside because the way in which people think and act in this universe have not been shown heightened to that extent.

DV comes into the batsuit thread, sees that they're still in a decade long discussion about trunks, DV leaves the batsuit thread.

Not everything has to be explained but everything has to be believable in the context of the universe they're in.

Ugh, I really hate that argument. It is a poorly thought out argument that was originally created to defend poorly written pieces of fiction that has, through the years, spread everywhere including into topics such as this.

Just because someone created a universe where x can happen does not mean y and z can happen in that same universe too. There are different kinds of realism and unrealism in fiction. Universes still have a set of rules they have to play by - rules established in this universe from the beginning. There are universes where sci-fi is real but there is no magic. There are universes gods are real but where alternate universes aren't. There are universes where superpowers/extraordinary abilities exist but the way people react to them are exactly like how we in real life would react to them (which is the case with MOS). Whatever the case is, things have to be logical in the context of their respective universe.

The same applies to your example. I'll play devil's advocate and answer your question from the perspective of a "trunks hater". I can buy superpowers existing in this universe because they're realistic in the context of this universe (even though they're unrealistic in the context of our own universe) but I cannot buy that a guy would wear trunks on the outside because the way in which people think and act in this universe have not been shown heightened to that extent.

Very well said! I personally wouldn't consider myself a "trunk hater" at all, but I'm completely on-board with your argument.

Stranger still is your inability to appreciate that someone can enjoy something they know is absurd. I don't know why you have adopted this position. All fantasy and almost all science fiction has a degree of absurdity. It is not, on the whole, enjoyed by the masses because it holds up a mirror to mundane reality; it is enjoyed as escapism, allegory, or wish fulfillment.

There is nothing wrong with that; but it is farcical to pretend that the Batman mythos in its entirety is a work of sombre verisimilitude, punctured only by a pair of external trunks.

That may be what he was trying to convey, but that just shows that most of the absurdity you specifically mentioned lives comfortably in the comics, but wouldn't translate all that well into the new film universe (at least Snyder's anyway).

It doesn't show that at all. What is the reasoning or evidence behind this statement?

Have you seen many films? Is it really your opinion that they are incompatible with absurdity? You appear to claim an understanding of Snyder's "film universe", and what would be compatible with it, but did you catch a movie called "Man of Steel"? That had a space alien that came as a baby from a planet millions of lightyears away, where people rode around on four-winged reptiles, and the baby grew up to be able to fly and lift oil rigs with his bare hands. But get this- the alien looked exactly like one of us!

Would it be impossible for trunks to be worn over one's leggings, in these deeply realistic "film universe"?

Regwec's not saying that he doesn't like batman and his world.
He's got Ra's al ghul as his avatar for ****s sake.:funny:

I...know. :doh:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"