The Dark Knight Rises The Dark Knight Rises - Home Video (Blu-Ray/DVD) Release Thread - Part 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just finished watching the Bruce & Selina specials. It was nice although I wished it was longer. The BW one is just 8mins and the Selina one was at 9mins.

Are they online now? If so, linky?

Anyone in the NY area that got it early and knows of a place pm please?

Got mine today too. Spent the thanksgiving evening going through the bonus features. Well. Not all of them. But, here's my feedback:

First off, I'm in no way ungrateful and unappreciative of the amount of behind-the-scenes footage and documentation they put out. But, I can't help but feel underwhelmed by what they did put out on this release.

I watched Ending the Knight, Characters & Reflections features. All are really informative and pretty well put together. I just feel as if though the features may have been cut too short. It felt like there was so much more to say but someone decided to make each segment short. Then decide, let's put the full package for the trilogy collector's edition for next year!

I'm not going to assume they will. If they do, it wouldn't be surprising. But, it would make sense because, why would anyone double-dip for that second re-release when the first trilogy boxed set was just released not so long ago? Especially when the December boxed set release has no additional features other than what has been included in all the previous single releases.

My other gripe too is that, the advertisements promote 'over 3 hours of bonus features'. Well. I just went through those three sections and including the trailer gallery and art gallery? That was not 3 hours. I didn't count the Batmobile documentary. I felt that was more of a lazy tack on. I'm sure it's entertaining but, that's not about the making of The Dark Knight Rises.

In fact, the Batmobile documentary could have been some feature I would put into the 'trilogy' set because at least that would make sense as it could be a 'retrospective' piece on the overall franchise and universe that is Batman.

Anyway, that aside, I enjoyed what I do regardless. It just would have been nice if I didn't get that nagging feeling lots of things were being held back for the upcoming release of the trilogy next year. I suppose we'll wait and see.

I love the movies. But, if the features on that trilogy boxed set announces some really lazy marketing gimmick? I think I'll stick with my single releases and not bother with the boxed sets. Packaging isn't necessarily worth shelling out extra hard earned money for.

I didn't count the Batmobile documentary. I felt that was more of a lazy tack on. I'm sure it's entertaining but, that's not about the making of The Dark Knight Rises.

In fact, the Batmobile documentary could have been some feature I would put into the 'trilogy' set because at least that would make sense as it could be a 'retrospective' piece on the overall franchise and universe that is Batman.

Exactly what I first thought when the Doc was introduced. Yeah it's a cool concept and everything and likely a very interesting watch but really scraping the barrel where TDKR features are concerned. It doesn't even relate to TDKR as Batman doesn't even drive it.

Exactly what I first thought when the Doc was introduced. Yeah it's a cool concept and everything and likely a very interesting watch but really scraping the barrel where TDKR features are concerned. It doesn't even relate to TDKR as Batman doesn't even drive it.

Y'know, I never thought about it, but I guess TDKR is the only Batman film where he doesn't drive a Batmobile.

Here are the pics from half the sections(the bat, batman vs bane, beneath gotham, armory accepted, art gallery, return to the batcave and high altitude hijacking).
- 190 stills.
Will post the rest in the upcoming days.

http://www.sendspace.com/file/kg77m1

Any news on the two disc DVD edition from Wal-Mart? Is disc two special features?

I always watch a film on Christmas Day, this year it's going to be this as I'm getting it Christmas Day. I'm actually really glad I only saw it once at the cinema means its not as fresh in my mind. I saw Avengers Assemble twice and got that for my birthday in Oct but don't feel like watching it yet. I probably won't see a film more than once at the cinema again (well except MOS) as I feel it makes rewatching for the first time in Blu Ray/DVD not as good.

I seriously doubt Nolans going to sit through any or all of his Batman movies just for commentary on the ultimate box set. It doesnt really interest me anyway. The box-set next year better have more than just a cool exterior. I want deleted scenes from all 3 movies, and a real chunky documentary on the whole thing. Otherwise i dont see the point in buying it. Or the point in creating it after this years little trilogy box-set.

I think im still going to Best Buy to pick up the Steebook in a couple of weeks.

I seriously doubt Nolans going to sit through any or all of his Batman movies just for commentary on the ultimate box set. It doesnt really interest me anyway. The box-set next year better have more than just a cool exterior. I want deleted scenes from all 3 movies, and a real chunky documentary on the whole thing. Otherwise i dont see the point in buying it. Or the point in creating it after this years little trilogy box-set.

I think im still going to Best Buy to pick up the Steebook in a couple of weeks.

Yeah, good luck on the whole deleted scenes and massive documentary for next year's box set. Nolan's film tend to not be too elaborate on the special features front when they hit home video.

That's just his MO. It might happen 20 years from now but not for next year.

Yeah, good luck on the whole deleted scenes and massive documentary for next year's box set. Nolan's film tend to not be too elaborate on the special features front when they hit home video.

There has to be something special on it to warrant an entire re-release.

There has to be something special on it to warrant an entire re-release.

I'm sure there will be something but deleted scenes and a 3 hour documentary on the making of the trilogy won't happen. Neither will commentaries.

Then it's simple, i wont be picking it up. I dont mean a 3 hour documentary, maybe half of that would be great.

I doubt we'll get some expansive 'Lord of the Rings/Kingdom of Heaven' type of documentary for the upcoming collection next year for Dark Knight. And I certainly do not expect anything in deleted/extended scenes. Commentaries I would only expect if Nolan were to get his trilogy released through Criterion. Wouldn't THAT be something!!!

Regarding deleted/extended scenes though. I wouldn't go too far to say that Nolan has not put any of that in the bonus features. If you remember the couple of outtakes he didn't use in Dark Knight that was included briefly in the blu ray, technically those count as 'deleted scenes'. But, in the unconventional sense as he was explaining the process while showing Joker in the bus as the hospital exploded.

I would also count the MCU explosion scene as sort of a 'extended', but raw take as well. And, after watching the bonus features on The Dark Knight Rises blu ray, I would also count some of the alternate angles/extended takes of the prologue as 'deleted/extended' scenes. It isn't anything special but it still counts to me.

Overall, from Dark Knight and Dark Knight Rises, there is about less than a minute of 'deleted/extended' scenes.

Correction, there is about couple of minutes max of 'deleted/extended scenes'. I want to also mention some of the alternate angles or raw, extended footage of the Bat Pod in Dark Knight and a couple other raw takes that was released to create your own commercial over the summer for Dark Knight Rises.

Just to recap, what does the trilogy set include?

Isn't it a compressed version of the "Art and Making of The Dark Knight Trilogy"?

I find the features in TDK to be pretty extensive, and as for "deleted scenes" you get much more than that in the included 'making of' features.

TDKR looks to be the same, and a bit more, with the full Bat mobile feature. (They showed it on TV in a half hour special, which was heavily neutered)

You guys want too much of something that isn't there honestly.

Is there any (if so, how much) footage of Hans Zimmer at work on the BD extras?
I'm seeing GIFs popping up from the extras on the internet, but I can't find **** :D (well, the batmobile documentary is floating around).
Can hardly wait to get my BD next week.

I know referencing Jett is kind of a taboo here, but nonetheless I found this interesting...

From his TDKR Blu-ray review: "The only thing missing is a “Director’s Commentary” – you know how Mr. Nolan is, right? HOWEVER…

A little birdie told me we may be getting such a thing next year for all 3 films of the Trilogy."

Gill?

Ehh. Don't really care for director's commentary as I rarely listen to those, but that's great for anyone who's interested in those.

Ehh. Don't really care for director's commentary as I rarely listen to those, but that's great for anyone who's interested in those.

I'm normally more interested in funny ones (Edgar Wright films such as Shaun of the Dead in particular) but there are a few exceptions. A Batman trilogy with Nolan would be awesome IMO.

I rarely hear the commentaries on films, but hearing commentary for TDKT is a must for me. It would be totally cool if happens.

I would especially love it because it would be a retrospective for each movie, not just a bunch of anecdotes about the weather on set, etc. Not getting my hopes up though...on the other hand I think WB knows a lot of fans want this and would be a slam dunk for getting fans to buy the movies a second, third or even fourth time.

I also think it could be the one thing WB could push him in to as this hasn't just been a big thing to film and comic book fans this has also been a huge part in Nolan's director career.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
anarchomando1
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"