The Flash General Discussion and Speculation Thread - - Part 11

Discussion in 'The Flash' started by Thread Manager, Mar 12, 2018.

1. Dark Raven The Gal from Themyscira

2. herolee10 No More Miracles

Seeing as how they were okay with allowing Oliver to end up with Felicity, I wish they would have allowed Barry to stay with Patty. The logic behind their breakup was stupid. If Barry's reason for breaking up with Patty was due to his concern for her safety then he should never get together with anyone period.

Plus, the two actors had better chemistry and didn't have thay weird foster sibling baggage.

3. legendkillin Registered

Totally forgot about Patty in the early season, seems like ages ago.

NotToday likes this.
  4. NotToday Registered

It was ages ago.
    I don't get wanting Barry to be with Patty when he's been in love with Iris from the start. In any case, there's no point to bringing her back now.

5. fan4stic Registered

Why do we want to copy Arrow? Barry didn't break up with Patty. She left him. Then he didn't stop her from leaving after she began to want to stay after thinking he was the Flash.

Why should chemistry be the decider of something for the characters and story? I saw something where Grant Gustin pushed for Barry and Iris.
    Would she have? She had less personal connections to the main characters, and her main story had finished. What would her being Iris have changed about the character writing of Iris?

6. I'm still here Registered

It would have changed absolutely nothing.
    But you have to understand, some people in the fandom still despise Iris for being played by a black actress so they latched on to any white female to ship with Barry.

#1306 I'm still here, Oct 20, 2020
    Last edited: Oct 20, 2020
    NotGoodAtNames and Primal Slayer like this.
  7. Flash525 The Scarlet Messenger

As much as many of us (myself included) slate Iris isn't because she's black, but because of the way she's been written.

If Patty had been wrote the same way, we'd probably all hate her too. Either way any character can be written to fit.

The comics had Ollie with Laurel, but the show had him with Felicity, this whilst the comics had Barry with Iris, the show could've just as easily had him with Patty.

8. Lantern Venom Lego SUCKS

Patty served her purpose. Barry and Iris becoming a couple was a story point that was set up from the very start of the show. There's no valid reasoning behind bringing any other love interests to the show for Barry now. The "will they or won't they?" ship has sailed.

I also don't understand the Iris backlash. I often hear that she's given too much screen time and that her storylines take focus away from Barry. I simply can't agree. This is a TV show, now a long-running one, and they have to develop plenty of characters to keep it that way. That's why they brought in a character like Cisco, whose comic counterpart isn't even specifically a Flash character, and make him a huge part of the show. In DC's comic history Barry-Iris has to be considered top 5 most important relationships, so I thought it would be common knowledge that she was going to be the 2nd most visible character in the show.

9. fan4stic Registered

I think she's not written any worse than other characters. Who I haven't seen hated on the same way. Not necessarily based on her being black.
    Why should Flash do what Arrow did?

I saw something where Grant Gustin pushed for Barry and Iris.

10. Flash525 The Scarlet Messenger

Why shouldn't it?

The beauty of a comic book adaption is that changes can be made to suit. We've had an abundance of them already; Sara Lance as the Black Canary, Barry as Savitar, Captain Cold and Heatwave becoming heroes, we've got a brand new Batwoman.

Even the MCU differs from the comics; the original Avengers aren't all of the ones we got.

Just because Barry ended up with Iris in the comics, doesn't mean he has to end up with her in the show.

11. Primal Slayer Let the Siren scream

Im fine with adaptions making changes if they are good but half the time they aren't. Sometimes it just gets to the point where it is like "why are you adapting them at all?" just for the name? Why not just call it The Flash and have the character be Ken whatever?

12. fan4stic Registered

It's Arrow. Why would someone want it's example to be followed? I think it's examples aren't well written and/or developed ones for the most part.

I think Sara didn't use the Black Canary title during her run with the black outfit. But I think she more fulfilled the role of Dinah Drake in the post crisis comics (I didn't like this change either, but I think it's not exactly that an aggressive of a change on it's own). Savitar is a villain and I think, as far as I've read from his wikia doesn't have a lot going for the character either way. I think I remember Cold and heatwave having done similar stuff in the comics. Though they are also villains. The Batwoman example to me isn't a strong one, as well. I think that's not a strong writing decision.

Changing elements is different from altering the course of a show mid-stream. Like Arrow. I think that's not strong and/or consistent writing.

Sure, but that's the what the show already setup. If Iris had never been on the show first and/or had a building romance with Barry, the writing could go into a direction and I think it not be inconsistently and/or not well written and/or pandery. But that's not what happened. Iris was even set up before The Flash started and I think as having some personal connection to Barry, in the Arrow episode The Man Under The Hood. And that continued into the show. I may not like how it was constructed in parts, but it's there.

13. NotGoodAtNames Registered

Barry and Iris aren't foster siblings. It's time to let that made up fanon go.

Anyway, why should Barry stay with Patty? Did y'all actually watch their scenes? Barry treated her like crap. The first thing he said referring to her is "she's not Iris." That alone shows you Barry wasn't gonna take their relationship seriously. Hell, the man had to be TALKED into going out with her.

14. NotGoodAtNames Registered

They make it so transparent. They say they hate Iris, but continue to think Shantel, Danielle, or any other white actress should've been her? Why? The writing won't change. No logic whatsoever.

15. Thome216 Registered

I was all up for Patty staying. I felt she and Barry worked better together. And that's a not a skin-tone thing, that's a 'I never followed the comics and so had no idea that Barry/Iris was such a big thing,' thing.
    Also felt the reportder girlfriend thing had been done too much already.

16. KillerMcQueen Mortal-ish

It's water under the bridge at this point, but at the time I absolutely would've been in favor of her staying and becoming the main love interest, I never had a real problem with Iris, but Shantel and Grant's chemistry was fantastic from the start and I really enjoyed her character, who also could've kept Barry more tied to the CCPD, I wouldn't have minded them taking advantage of that.

17. flickchick85 Admin of Might

I've had no beef with Iris or Patty, tbh. They were both fine love interests to me. I just wish they would have focused more on Iris' reporting throughout the show instead of making her the Team Flash matriarch or whatever.

Primal Slayer and Pennywise like this.
  18. NotGoodAtNames Registered

I blame the showrunner who decided that Star Labs is more important. I'm not even joking. We barely see Joe and Barry at CCPD doing their jobs either. Was it Andrew? I really feel like someone decided they're more interested in the Star Labs portion of the show than the "other stuff". It was painfully obvious in season 4.

19. Pennywise Registered

20. TheWiseGuy487 Feelin’ blue, feelin’ good

I counted how many weeks that would be until around the middle of May. It’s thirteen weeks, which would leave for no more than 13 episodes, maybe less if you count Spring Break (if that even still happens by then).

Hopefully, that leaves less room for unnecessary filler and more focus on the main story, and more money per episode for VFX to do more crazy superhero stuff.

21. fan4stic Registered

I think Iris was mainly only really aggressively involved like that in season 4

22. Pennywise Registered

23. Dr. From parts unknown

24. Brierrose Registered

I had a bad feeling that this would happen. I kinda expected production to be stop and go. Frequent testing does catch asymptomatic cases and limit the spread but can’t stop COVID-19. I hope nobody gets seriously sick. Part of me questions even allowing film production right now. I don’t want anyone getting sick for my entertainment.

SuperRouth likes this.
  25. Avenging Angel We have unfinished business.

Shantel might be coming back, anything's possible. Their ratings can't be any lower, wouldn't be surprised if they reached out to the actress for a continued story arc. Her story is very abrupt in ending.