The Flash General Discussion and Speculation Thread - Part 8

Discussion in 'The Flash' started by Thread Manager, May 24, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Guts Smug

Owlman's plan was to destroy every single Earth in the multiverse and Zoom's plan was a little different in that he wanted to destroy every single Earth except for the one that the show takes place on.

2. BlueLanternKal Super-Lex

I really hope Greg Berlanti takes advantage of this opportunity and uses Flashpoint to integrate Supergirl into CWverse proper and to rescue Arrow from the stupid decisions of seasons 3 & 4 (killing Black Canary off... again and allowing Olicity to become a thing). Legends is essentially immune to Flashpoint's changes since altered timelines comes with their territory so the timeline could be changed (like Supergirl exists now and Arrow is a good show again) and they wouldn't know if it was them or a speedster that was responsible.

3. Supernova Registered

I dont get it I really dont. WB needs to hand over there movie verse to berlanti and andrew because these guys are creating a great thing slowly and letting it blossom in a connected universe. Also there doing 3 shows at once and soon 4 which is crazy. Come on WB just let the movies and tv shows connect.

4. Kyle Registered

Actually I don't care at all what your opinion is. Obviously you care and don't like me pointing out your opinion is in the minority otherwise you wouldn't have attempted to go the insult route without even really putting anything new onto the table.

#79 Kyle, May 25, 2016
    Last edited: May 25, 2016
  5. Marvel Knight Registered

LOL. Things are bad enough for the DCEU as is.

Merging it with the Felicity-verse would be a poor move.

The CW DC soaps are designed to appeal to twillight moms, 12 year old girls and comic fanboys.

The films need to be able to appeal to everyone. This team already had a shot with producting a big DC film....2011's Green Lantern.

They need to court some Chris Nolan-level talent for the DC films instead.

6. Kyle Registered

DC took the original Green Lantern script and butt raped it. The original script was great. What DC turned it into... I'm still unsure how or why they made it what they did. Read it. It's day and night difference.

Should note Berlanti's draft was the draft before all the re writes turned it into crap. All that remains from his script is the basic skeleton of it. Like a nicely made coloring book with professional drawings then a kid comes in and instead of nicely coloring in the lines, he just runs wild with thr crayons creating a Vincent Van Gough (right artist? Maybe/maybe not) that is basically throwing pain/crayon all over it instead.

#81 Kyle, May 25, 2016
  7. Supernova Registered

No they didnt, wb took it in a different direction from these guys. The flash appeals to everyone not just your narrowed field.

8. Marvel Knight Registered

This show appeals to everyone? It follows all the typical CW tropes. It's very juvenile in it's writing and aims for a younger, less mature audience. It's cheesy.

It's very similar to Arrow and all the other CW soaps, but CW Flash makes an effort to also pander to comicbook fanboys. So many here overlook the cheesy CW stuff and subpar writing.

Would this be an appropriate model for how to handle a tentpole film? Hell no.

The film equivalents to these CW shows would probably be Divergent, Maze Runner, Twillight etc. at best.

9. Reek _____

:ilv:

i stated i didn't like it and gave reasons for it... like things not mattering from the past 2 seasons.. it wasn't until you said I am the only one, when obviously there are others... that I didn't like you pointing out things, that clearly aren't true. (arrow universally sucks and not many people like supergirl... but minority ok)

If you don't care about my opinion at all... why the hell are you talking to me? If 'cry about it' is an insult to you... then maybe you should make a time remnant with thicker skin :o

#84 Reek, May 25, 2016
  10. HighFivingMF Welp.

Oh, really?

11. KillerMcQueen Mortal-ish

I cannot wait until that troll says something genuinely ban worthy. It's like Zryson all over again, just with a "Marvel Wins!!!" signature.

#86 KillerMcQueen, May 25, 2016
  12. Kyle Registered

Nah, just your juvenile approach came off as rather silly to me and still does.

13. Dr Lee Insert interesting quote here

I knew when the finale ended that the *****ing would start... Didn't expect it to be this bad already.

14. Kyle Registered

Actually if you look over the threads the majority of posters are excited about Flashpoint.

15. KillerMcQueen Mortal-ish

I swear some posters go out of their way to make themselves unhappy. We got an awesome final showdown with Zoom, a Black Flash tease, the real Jay Garrick has been introduced, and season 3 is opening with Flashpoint, I honestly am pretty stoked.

16. Infinity9999x Registered

It was a pretty decent finale, but it wasn't perfect. I wouldn't call the finale showdown awesome, in fact I'd call it kind of silly. But the emotional moments in this episode were what really sold it for me. Gustin was really on his A game.

Overall, the finale suffered because the season as a whole wasn't that strong. It wasn't awful, but it was a marked step down form season 1. The first season was the best material I've seen the CW put out. It still had some of the annoying tropes that all CW shows have, but the performances elevated it hugely, Gustin, Martin, and ESPECIALLY Cavanaugh. And the first season brilliantly wove in the twists and turns of the mystery, and wrote RF as such an interesting complex villain that you were still wondering exactly what his end game plans were and why he hated Barry so much even after we knew who he was.

This season was a little all over the place. The way they wrote Patty and Henry out was very rushed, and frankly, pretty poor writing. Not only that, but when you have a guy that could probably take a jog across a whole country in a matter of minutes, it makes almost no sense that having close friends/family move away would be a problem...at all. Zoom started out strong but ultimately fell very short of the high bar Cavanaugh set with RF last season. His motivations were uninteresting, and Sears himself came across rather one note and a bit bland. They also waited far too long to show us why Zoom was doing what he was doing (we literally didn't figure it out until this episode) and as such, we kept getting what felt like filler episodes until the last third of this season.

The quality acting of most of the cast kept the show interesting, and the last three episodes of this season really brought it, but it was a small case of too little too late. We needed more episodes like this earlier in the season so the plot felt like it had more direction.

Essentially, I felt they ended strongly on what was a rather disappointing season. Not bad, just disappointing coming off what was a very promising first season. And if they learn anything it's that they sorely need an actor of Cavanaugh's caliber to be their big bad next season. The one episode we got of Cavanaugh as RF stood out like a beacon compared to what we had gotten with the rest of the season.

So overall, a strong ending. And I'm really interested to see where they go with Flashpoint, but the season as a whole was definitely step down.

17. Marvel Knight Registered

What do you expect? Look where we are.

It's shameless fanservice. That's Berlanti's mantra.

18. DigificWriter Registered

Not gonna happen.

As I pointed out elsewhere, Supergirl's production team started discussing and developing the storylines for Season 2 several weeks before it was announced that the series would be moving to The CW.

Therefore, as I also pointed out elsewhere, 'folding' that series into the Arrowverse proper would require throwing all of the work they've already done (and are likely continuing to do) "down the toilet" for absolutely no reason other than that fans don't want to see SG separated from its brethren series by a Multiversal barrier.

19. Infinity9999x Registered

Nope. It's not. There's a lot of issues I had with this season, as I'm sure you can see with my above post, but the Flashpoint ending of this was not fan service. They clearly had it in mind, and they wanted to put Barry in a place where he would decide to go back and make this decision. And they did do that, after all he went through, I bought his motivation. Do I think it was executed as well as it could have been? No, I don't, but it was clearly done with intention and just just a "LOOK COOL COMICZ STORIEZ THAT I ADDED!!!" In fact, Barry had more motivation to go back and change the past than Flash did in the original FP comic, so in that case, I think they did a decent job.

I just think they should have more evenly spread out the heartbreak and torture Zoom through at him throughout the season instead of cramming most of it into the last few episodes.

20. Kyle Registered

It's treating the material with respect and going very interesting places. In terms of universe building itself DC TV to me > MCU & DCU. Marvel has better quality films, but world building goes to DCTV right now. Granted if MCU keeps it up through acknowledging that the universe is really big outside of mainly just Avengers film, like it looks to be doing then it would go back to MCU. Just not yet, for me.

#95 Kyle, May 25, 2016
  21. Marvel Knight Registered

DC is just throwing whatever sticks on to TV and delivering their material on a subpar network (CW) that hampers the quality of their programming.

Whereas the MCU world-building on Netflix is delivering much stronger material handled with much more respect and intelligence behind it.

It's a quantity VS quality argument.

22. Marvel Knight Registered

Based on how they've handled time travel this season, and on Legends, do you think Flashpoint will play out in a manner that logically makes sense?

23. Paradox1 Registered

Supergirl is on another earth, lets call it earth 4. She's immune to Barry affecting time on earth 1.

24. DigificWriter Registered

That's exactly what I said.

People want this "Flashpoint" thing with Barry saving his mom to somehow 'collapse' SG's Earth into the Arrowverse itself, but, as I noted, that's not going to happen.

25. Steyin Bidding you ADIEU!

I suspect it will happen, but not because of Flashpoint. I think it's quite simple to combine in SG without having to undue everything that has happened in S1 honestly.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.