• We experienced a brief downtime due to a Xenforo server configuration update. This was an attempt to limit bot traffic. They have rolled back and the site is now operating normally. Apologies for the inconvinience.

The Halloween Film Series Thread... - Part 4

I was kinda surprised to see them describe Ends as "fun". If anything I assumed it would be more melancholy but I'm not mad at it. I wonder if they will introduce some new teen characters or something.

I was kinda surprised to see them describe Ends as "fun". If anything I assumed it would be more melancholy but I'm not mad at it. I wonder if they will introduce some new teen characters or something.
To be fair, I believe they called the script for 'Kills' fun at one point in an interview, and while for the most part, it is anything but, I can understand what they kind of mean. I could see Ends still being thematically melancholy while still being entertaining and satisfying.

Halloween Kills is about a "community that is united by outrage, and divided in how to deal with evil" | GamesRadar+

How do you continue what makes Halloween interesting, and not be repetitive?”

That's the question David Gordon Green, director of 2018's Halloween, had to contend with while making his sequel, Halloween Kills. There have been over ten Halloween movies, and while the recent version retconned everything that came before except the original, finding fresh ground to take the series was a challenge.

Luckily, though, the eclectic filmmaker came up with an answer: get a whole lot angrier. “If the first film was somewhat retelling the origin of Myers and getting us up to speed with where Laurie had been all those years, then part two is about the outrage of Haddonfield,” Green tells our sister publication Total Film over the phone from South Carolina. “Mob Rules was our working title for the film. It’s about a community that is united by outrage, and divided in how to deal with evil.”

As a result, Halloween Kills will dial down the humour of the 2018 movie and bring back some characters from the 1978 original. Yet, it's not only this sequel that will be different to what came before: Halloween Ends – the final part in Green's Halloween trilogy – takes a step in another direction.

“It’s a very different movie than Kills, and both Halloweens," he says. "The script feels very fun. For me, it was essential to say, ‘Here’s a conclusive episode to my trilogy.’ I’m trying to bring closure to my ‘Laurie Strode versus Michael Myers’ storytelling.”

Now that sounds interesting, because the only other film I can remember where they had the town people going after Michael was in Halloween 4 right? That is one of my favorite Halloween films, but I would have liked to see them explore that aspect more.

I also like hearing about them dialing down the humor in Kills, because while I didn't mind the majority of the humor in Halloween 2018 some of it did kind of take me out of certain scenes like the whole unfunny bit with the cops talking about sandwiches which was easily the worst for me, because of how long they kept going with it.

I guess, but I wouldn't even say Halloween 4 really explored it. It was just a bunch of beer bellies from a bar driving around trigger happy. They shot Ted Hollister!!!!!

Yeah I'm glad they dialed back the humor. There was only one scene in H'18 where it kind of tainted a serious scene for me, and that's Vicki's death scene. Julian should not have said stuff like "Oh s***" and "If you go up there you're gonna die, Dave", after he saw Michael emerge from the closet and attack Vicki. He should have acted proper scared like Tommy and Lindsey did in the original.

Last edited:
If there’s any movie this year I wish didn’t get pushed to next year it’s this one. It really sounds like they’ve got the right mix once again.

I doubt Halloween Ends will be randomly adding new teenage characters, since it’s supposed to be the same night. My guess is Laurie leaves the hospital at the end of Kills, heads towards Michael after he kills Alyson or Karen. This time Laurie doesn’t have traps set up for Michael. And Michael doesn’t exactly give a **** about her either. He’s just on a killing spree (something Green/McBride finally understand about the original Michael Myers).

If Kills is supposed to be more violent, with Michael killing ppl left and right. I’d like to see a more spooky end to the trilogy. Where most characters are now dead. Haddonfield is just a shell of what it was hours ago. Michael is around town. So is Laurie now. And there is zero predictability in how this could play out. Which I can see being an extremely ‘fun’ time writing a script like that...where everything is really stripped down and location-wise you can really use your imagination to the fullest. Just a simple, stalker type slasher flick between a few remaining characters (and tons of slow atmosphere) to cap off the trilogy.

Now that sounds interesting, because the only other film I can remember where they had the town people going after Michael was in Halloween 4 right? That is one of my favorite Halloween films, but I would have liked to see them explore that aspect more.

I also like hearing about them dialing down the humor in Kills, because while I didn't mind the majority of the humor in Halloween 2018 some of it did kind of take me out of certain scenes like the whole unfunny bit with the cops talking about sandwiches which was easily the worst for me, because of how long they kept going with it.
As somebody who wants them to dial down the humour, the sandwich scene was by far the funniest for me.

Well, I’ll put it this way. As an isolated scene it was funny. But it didn’t fit in a Halloween movie. I mean “peanut butter on my penis” or whatever the line was, didn’t fit either. Even the kid in his dads car talking about how dance class is his thing now. Lol that’s pure McBride humour. Even the delivery.

I don't know whether it's a compliment or a complaint that I didn't find the movie's comedic beats to be funny in the slightest. Consequentially, all the complaints about the film's comedy have always felt a little overstated. To me it just felt like the usual sort of dialogue they pad out the teenager scenes with. Though I agree that the Ray character (and especially the peanut butter line) was lame and cringe as all hell.

I really don't get the hate for the "peanut butter on my penis" line. The two times I seen it in the theater my audience laughed. It was just a corny dad telling an awkward joke. Alyson even rolls her eyes. I could see if it was in a serious scene but it was a getting to know the family scene.

Yeah the Dad was supposed to be embarrassing in that scene. Alyson even says "Dad......can you stop".

If it was something like the clown Cops from Halloween 5 with their goofy music, and they are expecting the audience to think these guys are funny, then that would have been awful.

Yeah the Dad was supposed to be embarrassing in that scene. Alyson even says "Dad......can you stop".

If it was something like the clown Cops from Halloween 5 with their goofy music, and they are expecting the audience to think these guys are funny, then that would have been awful.

Oh god those cops. The goofy music makes it so much worse. It’s so out of place.

Yeah I actually didn't mind the Peanut Butter line either, because it was supposed to be dumb and embarrassing. At least none of the humor in Halloween 2018 was as bad as some of the really awful crap in Halloween 5 though, because that movie is easily the worst offender when it comes to humor in this franchise.

and yet, somehow, some way, I've seen someone say that Halloween 5 is better than Halloween 2018. opinions are opinions, but oof.

Anyone have any Kills questions (spoiler-free) or anything, or simply want to talk about the franchise? I'm super bored.

Anyone wanna talk about their Halloween collection? I’ve posted some pics in here before of some of mine if I recall. Not sure if I showed off some of my VHS collection.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"