• Secure your account

A friendly reminder to our users, please make sure your account is safe. Make sure you update your password and have an active email address to recover or change your password.

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) We may experience a temporary downtime. Thanks for the patience.

Horror The Halloween Film Series Thread... - Part 4

But why would you wanna see a mass killer "go down swinging" in his last movie like he's the hero? I dunno... It's just weird that you want to shrine a psycho killer.
I'd have to say that the success and longevity of the Halloween and other slasher franchises is due to the villain, no?

I'm a fan of the Michael Myers character, not a fan of real-life psycho killers. I just didn't like how that sewer scene went down.

I'd gladly take that over karate moves from Busta Rhymes. There's an actual reason why he was weak in that scene.

I think this was more frustrating because of how high hopes were after H18 and Kills (to a point). Resurrection was a joke from start to finish.

There isn't much left to do with the franchise at this point, honestly. Besides Halloween III, Michael has been milked as much as possible given how the character is the least "charismatic" of all the classic horror icons. There's just not much to it.

Things I have NO interest in seeing and that I hope the next producers avoid:

- Following up on old sequels like H4/Thorn (will never happen anyway)
- Prequel to the original with young Michael
- Film or series set in Smith's Grove while young Michael is incarcerated there
- Another sequel/re-quel to the original of any kind
- Another remake featuring Laurie Strode vs Michael

I honestly think it's total reboot of the concept or bust, and it should be a bold and daring reboot that isn't mostly a play-by-play rehash of the original.
I shake my head at those ideas about a young Michael, either pre incarceration or during. What would there be to talk about. The guy was a mute. If he had hurt, maimed, or murdered anyone while at Smith's Grove, that would've been brought up during one of the 11 installments.

I guess you could go The Good Son route where animals go missing, classmates or neighborhood friends get freak injuries, etc. RZ's H1 delves into that a bit.
There isn't much left to do with the franchise at this point, honestly. Besides Halloween III, Michael has been milked as much as possible given how the character is the least "charismatic" of all the classic horror icons. There's just not much to it.

Link? ;)

I respectfully disagree with that opinion. I would say that he is the most mysterious of them all and maybe that's why he's not as popular as the others.

The young michael idea is awful to me, and I don't want to see it.

One idea i like is they could present it as a ghost story. Maybe each person has a story about how they spotted the shape one halloween night or something. That's where Mike Flanagan would come in haha.

I respectfully disagree with that opinion. I would say that he is the most mysterious of them all and maybe that's why he's not as popular as the others.
Yes he is mysterious, the whole aspect of "The Shape" is interesting to me, not Michael himself. That's why I think the idea explored in Ends was a refreshing departure. But at the end of the day he is just a non-emotive killing machine with no personality. I really don't know how they can reinvent that idea. I guess is all in the execution.

Where is this notion that Michael is not as popular as the other horror icons come from exactly? Was some nationwide poll done or something because I know you can't be talking about box office numbers. The Halloween movies have out grossed most slashers.

The only way this franchise continues to survive is if they keep bringing Michael back. He's the money maker.

Last edited:
Where is this notion that Michael is not as popular as the other horror icons come from exactly? Was some nationwide poll done or something because I know you can't be talking about box office numbers. The Halloween movies have out grossed most slashers.

The only way this franchise continues to survive is if they keep bringing Michael back. He's the money maker.
Right now I would say Michael is the current most popular horror icon, at least out of the more modern ones (not even going to attempt to include the likes of Dracula, Wolfman, etc.). Freddy and Jason were both probably more popular than Michael in the '80s and early '90s when they were at their peak popularity but given the Halloween franchise has endured for longer and has quite a few more recent movies than either the Nightmare on Elm Street or Friday the 13th series, I'd say he doesn't have much competition in that department.

Admittedly there's more potential with characters like Freddy and Jason because they lean way more heavily on the supernatural than Michael. You can be a hell of a lot more inventive with kills with a character like Freddy who has an entire dream world at his disposal. That said, I think what makes Michael Myers so enduring with audiences is that, especially in that original movie, he's someone who could believably exist in real life. When I first watched A Nightmare on Elm Street as a kid, I was scared but in a fun way. When I first watched Halloween I didn't sleep at all that night just because of how realistic it was.

Right now I would say Michael is the current most popular horror icon, at least out of the more modern ones (not even going to attempt to include the likes of Dracula, Wolfman, etc.). Freddy and Jason were both probably more popular than Michael in the '80s and early '90s when they were at their peak popularity but given the Halloween franchise has endured for longer and has quite a few more recent movies than either the Nightmare on Elm Street or Friday the 13th series, I'd say he doesn't have much competition in that department.

Admittedly there's more potential with characters like Freddy and Jason because they lean way more heavily on the supernatural than Michael. You can be a hell of a lot more inventive with kills with a character like Freddy who has an entire dream world at his disposal. That said, I think what makes Michael Myers so enduring with audiences is that, especially in that original movie, he's someone who could believably exist in real life. When I first watched A Nightmare on Elm Street as a kid, I was scared but in a fun way. When I first watched Halloween I didn't sleep at all that night just because of how realistic it was.

Wow same experience for me. No joke. I was 12 years old when I saw the original Halloween movie. Everyone else was in bed. I was up late by myself. It was on TV. When the movie was over I was so scared. Especially how it ended with Michael having vanished after being shot by Loomis. You hear his creepy mask breathing everywhere. I didn't sleep for 2-3 days because I kept imagining I could hear his breathing in my bedroom at night.

Wow same experience for me. No joke. I was 12 years old when I saw the original Halloween movie. Everyone else was in bed. I was up late by myself. It was on TV. When the movie was over I was so scared. Especially how it ended with Michael having vanished after being shot by Loomis. You hear his creepy mask breathing everywhere. I didn't sleep for 2-3 days because I kept imagining I could hear his breathing in my bedroom at night.
I was 10 and I couldn't get the image of Michael walking towards Laurie when she was locked out of the house out of my head.

Scared the absolute hell out of me. Still does, to be honest.

Things I have NO interest in seeing and that I hope the next producers avoid:

- Following up on old sequels like H4/Thorn (will never happen anyway)
- Prequel to the original with young Michael
- Film or series set in Smith's Grove while young Michael is incarcerated there

- Another sequel/re-quel to the original of any kind
- Another remake featuring Laurie Strode vs Michael

I honestly think it's total reboot of the concept or bust, and it should be a bold and daring reboot that isn't mostly a play-by-play rehash of the original.
Those are where I disagree. They would need to be carefully done, but I’ve always thought there was something to be explored with Michael under Loomis’s care.

He spent eight years trying to reach him, and another seven trying to keep him locked up? Why the change in outlook? Loomis knew Michael killed his sister from minute one. Did he just sit there quietly for one day too long? I choose to think otherwise… Michael had to have done something to put the fear of God into Loomis.

Granted, in my mind, it would play very differently. More psychological than slasher, because obviously he didn’t go on another killing spree pre-‘78 that we just never heard about. But I think there’s something there.

Those are where I disagree. They would need to be carefully done, but I’ve always thought there was something to be explored with Michael under Loomis’s care.

He spent eight years trying to reach him, and another seven trying to keep him locked up? Why the change in outlook? Loomis knew Michael killed his sister from minute one. Did he just sit there quietly for one day too long? I choose to think otherwise… Michael had to have done something to put the fear of God into Loomis.

Granted, in my mind, it would play very differently. More psychological than slasher, because obviously he didn’t go on another killing spree pre-‘78 that we just never heard about. But I think there’s something there.
Its always the question what people want from Michael Myers as character.
Do people want a more human approach or really just someone who is evil just because.

It is why despite the character not being the most charismatic of these slasher villains, he is so very interesting.
Its the why that makes it interesting.

That is why im not really too bothered with studios already looking for ways to bring the character back.
There is so much you can do with it.

I wouldnt say no to a reboot, a series focusing on michael growing up etc.
Sure a lot has to do with me not being super happy with how Ends...ended up being.
But also because there is just a ton you can do with the character.

Oh lets be real, i would take movies and shows of all the slasher villains any day.XD

Myers is my favorite horror icon and the Halloween films my favorite horror franchise. So yeah, I am always down for more of it in any was possible. I’m never gonna be tired of getting more of something I love and enjoy. Curious to see where this is gonna end up and what they’ll do with it.

Last edited:
I wouldn't mind A24 revisiting the original anthology idea Carpenter had in the 80s. Like you could start it off with a reinvention of Michael as this urban legend figure that's allegedly sighted during Halloween night throughout the decades, followed by an episode exploring the aftermath of Season Of The Witch (though that's just my wishful thinking), and then following it up with original stories around the holiday. I feel like almost everything that can be done with Michael as a character has been done at this point.

But that's a phenomenally unpopular opinion and people would complain about it if they went that route so never gonna happen in a million years.

I agree there. I think it could be a fascinating way to do a character study-esque approach with Michael without doing something that changes the character drastically. They could even take that same piece & apply it to an all new franchise so that they can tell stories about his time in the asylum without muddling the canon/continuity established in the first.

I do agree that Michael Myers has been milked a hell of a lot. But I still believe there are interesting stories to be told. I'll always believe the best way to do this is to update the story in a way that's not jarring & take chances that people can get on board with.

Like maybe making Loomis a younger man who potentially has more at stake regarding stopping Michael. Or doing stories that DON'T involve Laurie Strode.

It makes me think of the Scream series where I feel like Sidney Prescott should've been left alone after part 2. With Laurie, we finally (imo) got her in a story worthy of her and that perfectly fleshed out where she'd go after 1978. Now? Leave Laurie Strode alone. Don't recast her, don't make a new version in a new timeline: just make new characters altogether.

Hell, I'd even go for an idea that's set after Michael's latest rampage where characters like Laurie are mentioned and not ever seen, and Michael goes to a different setting entirely to stalk an entirely new crop of victims.

Yeah, Laurie's character should 100% be put to rest.

I really believe JLC's extensive involvement in the storylines hindered Kills and Ends. I guess those that enjoyed both Kills and Ends would say the opposite.

Granted, had she not been involved, the new trilogy probably doesn't happen.

I really believe JLC's extensive involvement in the storylines hindered Kills and Ends. I guess those that enjoyed both Kills and Ends would say the opposite.

Granted, had she not been involved, the new trilogy probably doesn't happen.
Extensive involvement? In Kills??

She didn’t even get a scene with Michael.

You know, as much as I am a defender of kills (to an extent, though I don't like it as much as i used to) and especially Ends, I really do think Halloween 1978 and Halloween 2018 are the perfect duo. I think H2O has the strongest ending to the series, but 1978 and 2018 work perfectly together and you don't need Kills or Ends for 2018 to thrive.

Last edited:
You know, as much as I am a defender of kills (to an extent, though I don't like it as much as i used to) and especially Ends, I really do think Halloween 1978 and Halloween 2018 are the perfect duo. I think H2O has the strongest ending to the series, but 1978 and 2018 work perfectly together and you don't need Kills or Ends for 2018 to thrive.
Yeah I feel like you can't really go wrong with branching off to either the Halloween II/H20 timeline or the H18/Kills/Ends timeline but I think H18 is the second best in the franchise after the original so I'd lean more towards that one. I also agree that '78 and '18 work very well together on their own. There aren't really any important loose ends left over from H18 so you can stop there if you want but I prefer to see it through because while I didn't like a lot of the choices made with Kills, I thought Ends wrapped it up well enough.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"