The "Keep Hope Alive" (that the rights can revert back to Marvel) thread - Part 6

Status
Not open for further replies.
Seriously, is there anyone out there rooting for this film to work?
Not counting the people involved, of course. And even then I doubt they're all 100% on board.

Not counting the people involved, of course. And even then I doubt they're all 100% on board.

The positive people here of course!

I'm rooting for this to be the most amazing freakin' superhero film ever.

I'm hoping this will be the film that finally gets everything right and shows Doom in all his glory so Sony, Fox and Warner Brothers all say: "Oh, so that's the way it's done. We really can do these things in a way that will capture the best elements of the comics."

But I'm not deluded into believing that's what we'll get just because that's what I want to see.

Honestly, I'm not even sure the stars of the movie are. The more Mara is being interviewed about it, the more confused she sounds. Teller seems to know that it sucks and is getting killed for taking the roles so he seems to not want it to do well at all. The question I ask myself is why Disney hired Trank to work on the Star Wars when he only did Chronicle and is screwing up badly with F4. I thought they originally got him to screw with this movie(I know, not hard to do)but it seems like they really want him to do it. The Mouse has to have a card in their sleeve somewhere.

I was one of the positive people. My issue was that Jordan, Teller and Mara's comments sent out red flags, Josh Trank deleted his Twitter and Bell and Kebbel haven't had anything to say at all.

Add to that Disney's President of Marvel being so annoyed at Fox's handling of the property that the FF comics got canceled. When Spider-Man isn't getting canceled despite Sony's last three movies not doing all that great, that's a big red flag right there.

This is a movie made solely to keep the rights to the characters, and I'm sure everyone on set knows that. It'd be tough for anyone to muster up to much enthusiasm.
I hope this ends up bombing, as bad as that is to say, so that Marvel and FOX can enter into negotiations for Disney to buy the rights back. I know nothing about licensing and how that is going to work or if its even possible, but I think this movie failing would be a step in the right direction for Marvel to get the First Family back into their hands.
I've always adamantly said that no one should ever root for a film to fail, but I think this is a much different situation.

Last edited:
Man I have never seen this much negativity associated with any CBM ever
It would be hilarious if this turns out to be a good movie

I agree that the casting sucks but I loved Chronicle and loved Josh Trank so lets see

This is a movie made solely to keep the rights to the characters, and I'm sure everyone on set knows that. It'd be tough for anyone to muster up to much enthusiasm.
I hope this ends up bombing, as bad as that is to say, so that Marvel and FOX can enter into negotiations for Disney to buy the rights back. I know nothing about licensing and how that is going to work or if its even possible, but I think this movie failing would be a step in the right direction for Marvel to get the First Family back into their hands.
I've always adamantly said that no one should ever root for a film to fail, but I think this is a much different situation.

I don't get this 'solely to keep the rights back' argument
I mean,the previous two F4 movies were moderately successful,not anything huge.It doesn't seem worth it to go into so much effort to just keep the rights to a property that isn't even that much of a cash cow

Its a better idea to be put genuine effort into it and make it a succesful franchise like the X-men

It would be hilarious if this turns out to be a good movie

I agree that the casting sucks but I loved Chronicle and loved Josh Trank so lets see
What else besides Chronicle has Trank done to receive your love? One movie seems like pretty small sample size.

What else besides Chronicle has Trank done to receive your love? One movie seems like pretty small sample size.

In a world when people like Zach Snyder and Marc Webb are getting to helm huge franchises,it does mean a lot

According to IMDB....he has directed ONE movie (CHRONICLE) and FIVE episodes of the TV series THE KILL POINT.

In a world when people like Zach Snyder and Marc Webb are getting to helm huge franchises,it does mean a lot

Still pretty weak argument, though Marc Webb had not directed much as far as large productions he was well versed in all areas and has been in the business since 2000....as far as Zach Snyder, seriously? He's been in the business since 1990, and had directed, if I'm not mistaken 4 or 5 movies, of which 300? Dawn of the Dead, Watchmen, Sucker Punch....please, not even a comparison.I'm not saying that Trank can't do a good job with a movie, but comparing him to even Marc Webb is an extremely long way to go....definitely need more than "a word".

I have. With Batman & Robin, Catwoman, Dragonball Evolution, and Superman Flyby.

What do those movies have in common? The fans were 100% right. The first three were terrible, and the last one was cancelled by the studio.

I mean,the previous two F4 movies were moderately successful,not anything huge.It doesn't seem worth it to go into so much effort to just keep the rights to a property that isn't even that much of a cash cow

Its a better idea to be put genuine effort into it and make it a succesful franchise like the X-men

Except that someone from Fox did say that they would do whatever it took to keep the rights, even if it meant putting out a cheaply made movie. I don't remember the exact quote but Willie Lumpkin does.

According to IMDB....he has directed ONE movie (CHRONICLE) and FIVE episodes of the TV series THE KILL POINT.

And now he's applying his previous experience to this movie. Make another Chronicle, and let it become the kill point for the Fantastic Four brand. :o

But by all measurable standards they arent putting their best effort into this. The fact that there has been no news or press or anything is a pretty glaring red flag.

I think Marvel/Disney played their hand when they wanted to deal for the rights to Galactus and Surfer. Fox may have felt that the property itself meant enough to make a bigger deal altogether. At least thats what some execs interpreted it as. Announce a production start date and watch Disney squirm knowing how much they wanted FF and its supporting characters. All of this was pre GOTG.

Once Disney turned its nose up Fox was forced to make a move or should I say movie.

I wonder how much of the post production has even been completed. If Fox are still waiting for Marvel/Disney to make an offer, then actually spending time and money on the post production would be an expense. If they spend a minimal amount on it, then at least they'll have something cobbled together by next August. BTW, Trank should change his name to Cobblepot while he's at it. He'll cobble something together for Fox and then throw it all in the pot.

They should just make Johnny only flame on at the very end again like Roger Corman's Torch. He can just shoot flames out of his hands while he's learning to control his powers. Why bother with a full effect? People will go see it anyway. :o

I think Marvel/Disney played their hand when they wanted to deal for the rights to Galactus and Surfer. Fox may have felt that the property itself meant enough to make a bigger deal altogether. At least thats what some execs interpreted it as. Announce a production start date and watch Disney squirm knowing how much they wanted FF and its supporting characters. All of this was pre GOTG.

Once Disney turned its nose up Fox was forced to make a move or should I say movie.

Nah man. They knew the moment Disney bought Marvel that the Fantastic Four was the franchise that Disney really wanted. Again, I know this has been brought up numerous times but the day Disney bought Marvel, Fox announced a F4 reboot as well. That speaks volumes.

Except that someone from Fox did say that they would do whatever it took to keep the rights, even if it meant putting out a cheaply made movie. I don't remember the exact quote but Willie Lumpkin does.

"Word on the street is Fox has made it very clear that they will not let go of any of the properties under their control for any live action medium.

We've also been told that if it ever came to the point where they were going to lose any property they own because of failing to have a movie in production, they would simply produce a low budget, straight-to-DVD feature and stick it in any theater to fulfill their theatrical release clause."

"Word on the street is Fox has made it very clear that they will not let go of any of the properties under their control for any live action medium.

We've also been told that if it ever came to the point where they were going to lose any property they own because of failing to have a movie in production, they would simply produce a low budget, straight-to-DVD feature and stick it in any theater to fulfill their theatrical release clause."

Who are you quoting?

I will stick with the comics.. oh wait! They're being cancelled. This whole situation just depresses me, I just want it to be over already.

The positive people here of course!

To me nothing would be more beneficial to this franchise than getting it back in time for the Civil War or Infinity Gauntlet phase.

So to me this thread and the people who endorse it are the TRUE positive people. Hoping this franchise fall into the hands of a studio who are able to tap into its full potential is more positive than a few Fox well wishers routing for a project to pull through despite observing what's clearly a crappy effort on keeping up with the new and improved standard for Marvel CBM's.

And you know it's crap because you don't see WB following this lame process with any of there projects.

Why?

Because Green Lantern taught them better.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
iamjonahlobe
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"