The Rebooted "Keep Hope Alive" (that the rights can revert back to Marvel) Thread - - - - - - - - - - Part 19

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can someone quickly remind me, what's the earliest possible release for a Disney/Marvel ran X-Men or F4 film currently? (assuming everything goes well)

My guess is May 2020, but I'm not really basing that on facts.

Can someone quickly remind me, what's the earliest possible release for a Disney/Marvel ran X-Men or F4 film currently? (assuming everything goes well)

My guess is May 2020, but I'm not really basing that on facts.

GotG 3 is getting ready to film for a 2020 release. Black Widow has a script and is picking between three or so directors now.
So even if antitrust authorities let Disney acquire 21st Century Fox on July 31, nothing could be done before 2021. No script, no actors, no director.

Ohh... So they can't choose a script (secretly write a script may be possible hm?) nor cast, nor choose a director until 2021, meaning they can't really start filming before that. Meaning 2022 release date at best (realistically)?

That seems legit. I'm not in a rush. I like whats happening in the MCU thus far. Gives some breathing room for current projects. And some time to cook up a logical way to incorporate the X/F4 characters.

No, I mean the projects known to be slated for 2020 are already moving along. They could hire a screenwriter the day the US gov't allows it and it would still take three years to reach cinemas, displacing either Eternals or whatever other new thing Feige had in mind for that year.
Personally I wouldn't mind Nova getting higher priority than Eternals, X-Men or FF, just because Nova powers being given to an American is logically a direct follow-up to what just happened to Xandar.

Ohh... So they can't choose a script (secretly write a script may be possible hm?) nor cast, nor choose a director until 2021, meaning they can't really start filming before that. Meaning 2022 release date at best (realistically)?

That seems legit. I'm not in a rush. I like whats happening in the MCU thus far. Gives some breathing room for current projects. And some time to cook up a logical way to incorporate the X/F4 characters.

No because that would be illegal. Screenplay writing is what is called pre-production. Without having the rights to the property, that is illegal. You cannot pay someone to work on something you don't own. The only loop hole they would maybe have around that is if FOX suddenly decided to write a FF screenplay they "intended to make" and then once the assets transfer is finished, Marvel "modifies it" for their MCU. But I don't think Disney would risk that when the DOJ is close to approving their deal. They wouldn't chance it.

So after the DOJ approves the deal, what will be the next step? If Disney beats Comcast- will that be the end of it?

Well they can make plans for it but it's a waste of resources when its not guarantee they'll get it. They have enough on their plate that they don't need to entertain the idea of what if's. Even if the deal is approve Fox still may want to make the movies so there will be meetings to determined how to move forward. Once that's settled then they will start making it. So another year for the government to approve the deal, a few months of restructuring Fox and discussions the rights. Then let's say a year of talking with and finding directors. Then another 2-3 years of development considering. If Marvel really wants to jump on it, the moment the paper are signed and the deal is done, they can ask Fox to immediately get the F4 licence back (I picture X-men taking time since it's still a big money maker for Fox). But if Marvel is going to make an F4/X film they're gonna do right, not fast. Just depends what they currently have on their plate.

They can still have Stark tech feature in the films. If Stark dies, obviously that would explain why we're not seeing his tech as much anymore, but he could stick around in retirement, leaving the possibility open for cameos. Imagine seeing RDJ's Iron Man again for the first time in a decade.

A cameo 10 or 15 years after his last appearance would be crazy!

No because that would be illegal. Screenplay writing is what is called pre-production. Without having the rights to the property, that is illegal. You cannot pay someone to work on something you don't own. The only loop hole they would maybe have around that is if FOX suddenly decided to write a FF screenplay they "intended to make" and then once the assets transfer is finished, Marvel "modifies it" for their MCU. But I don't think Disney would risk that when the DOJ is close to approving their deal. They wouldn't chance it.

Can't a writer who might normally work for Marvel write some "fan fiction" in his spare time and then, once the rights are back with Disney, he can turn that into a proper screenplay?

After all, isn't that what Fifty Shades of Grey is? Twilight fan fiction turned into a separate book and subsequent film.

I bet lots of scriptwriters draw on ideas they had in their spare time anyway.

Can't a writer who might normally work for Marvel write some "fan fiction" in his spare time and then, once the rights are back with Disney, he can turn that into a proper screenplay?

After all, isn't that what Fifty Shades of Grey is? Twilight fan fiction turned into a separate book and subsequent film.

I bet lots of scriptwriters draw on ideas they had in their spare time anyway.

If I am a writer, I am not doing that for free though. You're asking me to make a fan fic which I have to dedicate months to for no compensation, turning down paying jobs, at the prospect of being paid in possibly 18 months. Possibly never if somehow Comcast were to win.

What was the status of Spider-man and the Civil War script prior to the deal being struck? The impression I get from the directors are that it wasn't a fine deal yet and they were working on a script anyway. So why would Marvel run afoul by having scripts featuring currently Fox characters. I'm just not convinced Feige doesn't have form plans for those properties.

This is a very imperfect comparison but around the time negotiations for Spider-Man’s inclusion in Civil War were happening Feige did task Markus and McFeely to write an ‘alternate’ Civil War script that featured Spider-Man as well as a script that didn’t include him(in case talks with Sony went south). Technically what Feige did was ‘illegal’ because he did have the screenwriters work on a script that included a character that they had no idea whether they would have access to or not.

What was the status of Spider-man and the Civil War script prior to the deal being struck? The impression I get from the directors are that it wasn't a fine deal yet and they were working on a script anyway. So why would Marvel run afoul by having scripts featuring currently Fox characters. I'm just not convinced Feige doesn't have form plans for those properties.

The difference on that is easy: Civil War was not a movie being made FOR Spider-Man. It was a Captain America movie. Spider-Man merely was being added, and I would imagine Sony may have given Marvel permission as part of the negotiation (that we don't know for sure, but it would make sense if they were trying to come up with a strategy to market their new Spider-Man). That is not the same as writing an entire screenplay for a property you don't own. That's a copyright violation. You can brainstorm on these things all you want, but commissioning writers and such to formally write the movie enters the film into Pre-Production. That's the issue.

According to the screenwriters on Kevin Smith’s show — if talks with Sony had gone south then Stark would’ve ended up recruiting Ant-Man instead of Spider-Man.

This is a very imperfect comparison but around the time negotiations for Spider-Man’s inclusion in Civil War were happening Feige did task Markus and McFeely to write an ‘alternate’ Civil War script that featured Spider-Man as well as a script that didn’t include him(in case talks with Sony went south). Technically what Feige did was ‘illegal’ because he did have the screenwriters work on a script that included a character that they had no idea whether they would have access to or not.

See above post on this issue. Feige didn't write a Spider-Man movie, he wrote Spider-Man into a Captain America movie they were already making. That is not the same thing as making a Fantastic Four screenplay from scratch right now. Also, Sony may have given them the go ahead to do it as part of the negotiation.

In other words, developing like a GotG3 that maybe includes the Silver Surfer? Sure, that's not a problem. Making a Silver Surfer movie before the deal is done? Now you need the rights. That you cannot do.

To make a better illustration, let's say I had money and I called Aaron Sorkin tomorrow and said "Hey Aaron, write me a Girl with the Dragon Tattoo" screenplay. Once Sony finds out I hired him to do it, guess who is being sued? Because Sony owns the film rights. I am violating their copyright by attempting to develop a rival production. The only exception you really get there is with non-profit films, but even those are hit with cease and desists very often.

The difference on that is easy: Civil War was not a movie being made FOR Spider-Man. It was a Captain America movie. Spider-Man merely was being added, and I would imagine Sony may have given Marvel permission as part of the negotiation (that we don't know for sure, but it would make sense if they were trying to come up with a strategy to market their new Spider-Man). That is not the same as writing an entire screenplay for a property you don't own. That's a copyright violation. You can brainstorm on these things all you want, but commissioning writers and such to formally write the movie enters the film into Pre-Production. That's the issue.

I don't quite buy that it's fine if the character isn't the star of the movie. It just seems like an odd line to cross as both would include an IP they don't have the rights to yet. That they could potentially have had a formal agreement that they could, with permission from Sony, work on a script featuring him sounds more reasonable. If that's the case then I would wonder if the same courtesy could be requested of Fox? It would be nice to see Rogue in Captain Marvel 2 or something like that.

According to the screenwriters on Kevin Smith’s show — if talks with Sony had gone south then Stark would’ve ended up recruiting Ant-Man instead of Spider-Man.

Yeah. I caught that. They said it wouldn't have been half as much fun and didn't sound proud of the scene they wrote. Spider-man was likely the main focus throughout.

See above post on this issue. Feige didn't write a Spider-Man movie, he wrote Spider-Man into a Captain America movie they were already making. That is not the same thing as making a Fantastic Four screenplay from scratch right now. Also, Sony may have given them the go ahead to do it as part of the negotiation.

In other words, developing like a GotG3 that maybe includes the Silver Surfer? Sure, that's not a problem. Making a Silver Surfer movie before the deal is done? Now you need the rights. That you cannot do.
Stupid Question: Can a Silver Surfer movie even work? I mean I think a film about the Herald Of Galactus would be quite boring seeing as the stoic, detached, nature of the Silver Surfer ain’t exactly the most appealing thing for moviegoers who often prefer more livelier characters. In my mind, a movie about the metal-skinned herald would just be ponderous and comtemplative. It’d almost be like making a solo movie about Dr. Manhattan.

Is there any legal barrier to stop any writers playing with ideas or even rough drafting scripts on thier own dime & time? As in unsolicted, non commissioned work (legally no more than fan fiction I guess) that they dont (and can't) submit to Marvel for any consideration at this time.

I'm not saying any would as professional writers do kinda like to get paid for any effort, but as long as such work was done without Marvel having any involvement at all I'd imagine that wouldn't be a problem.

I don't quite buy that it's fine if the character isn't the star of the movie. It just seems like an odd line to cross as both would include an IP they don't have the rights to yet. That they could potentially have had a formal agreement that they could, with permission from Sony, work on a script featuring him sounds more reasonable. If that's the case then I would wonder if the same courtesy could be requested of Fox? It would be nice to see Rogue in Captain Marvel 2 or something like that.

If it comes down to easter egg inclusions and such, that they could probably request FOX to do while the process is on-going, and I don't imagine it would hurt anything. Like throwing in the name Galactus or something. But doing a film formally about the FF or SS directly would require establishing a licensing agreement like they had with Sony for Homecoming before that could be done.

Though in my scenario of like writing Surfer into GotG3, I am more talking like they can have it on napkins and such and brainstormed. I don't think they can put to to paper or into the script formal until they have some type of writing from FOX saying they can. Technically, Marvel got lucky with Ego because no one realized his rights were with the FF at that point and FOX wanted to make that deal for Negasonic., LOL! Technically prior to that, Marvel was infringing on a copyright violation.

Stupid Question: Can a Silver Surfer movie even work? I mean I think a film about the Herald Of Galactus would be quite boring seeing as the stoic, detached, nature of the Silver Surfer ain’t exactly the most appealing thing for moviegoers who often prefer more livelier characters. In my mind, a movie about the metal-skinned herald would just be ponderous and comtemplative. It’d almost be like making a solo movie about Dr. Manhattan.

Oh, most definitely it can! Watch his 90s cartoon. It is genius.

Is there any legal barrier to stop any writers playing with ideas or even rough drafting scripts on thier own dime & time? As in unsolicted, non commissioned work (legally no more than fan fiction I guess) that they dont (and can't) submit to Marvel for any consideration at this time.

I'm not saying any would as professional writers do kinda like to get paid for any effort, but as long as such work was done without Marvel having any involvement at all I'd imagine that wouldn't be a problem.

I think they can get away with it if it is not something official (like notes on napkin, LOL!). It would be hard to pin anything down legally anyway. That said, a full screenplay/outline takes time. Writing a scene where you could imagine the Silver Surfer would fit into the movie can be done quickly. Outlining a full FF script can take months. No writer will do that on their own dime, LOL!

Comcast unlikely to raise fox bid early next week: CNBC's Faber

I think you guys are over thinking the screenplay stuff. Comicbooks are basically already storyboards; just go to the Marvel archives, pick up a few F4 issues that cover the parts you need, make copies, and start glueing copies of the panels onto a large piece of cardboard. There's almost 60 years of FF stories to tell, so most of the writing is already done. I may be oversimplifying, but not by much. They could have a rough outline in an hour, and a finished screenplay in under a week.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
iamjonahlobe
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"