The Rebooted "Keep Hope Alive" (that the rights can revert back to Marvel) Thread - - - - - - - - - - - - Part 21

Status
Not open for further replies.
Boseman is acceptable for the salary he's working for, but Jordan would make a better T'Challa.
I consider the biggest misfire to be what they're paying ScarJo when someone like Hayley Atwell can convey anything she can better and works for a TV salary.

Giving the choice to the Russos, the BEST CBM DIRECTORS WORKING TODAY is definitely not a bad call. And Boseman is perfect as T'Challa and i know a lot of who would agree.

I wouldn't want MBJ as T'Challa. He comes across as too cocky and arrogant for a regal king of Wakanda. Boseman seems more humble and more suited to the character.

Giving the choice to the Russos, the BEST CBM DIRECTORS WORKING TODAY is definitely not a bad call.

What, you mean "best directors who are working on a CBM today"? Because Chris Nolan, Sam Raimi, et al are still working today.

Boseman seems more humble and more suited to the character.

T'Challa's voice actor from the Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes cartoon conveyed that bearing just as well. Boseman's just... not great. Acceptable.

Boseman is acceptable for the salary he's working for, but Jordan would make a better T'Challa.
I guess you mean would have made a better T'Challa if Boseman hadn't already played him? I'm sure MBJ could have done a job too being a top actor, but we got a great Killmonger out of him at least.

I consider the biggest misfire to be what they're paying ScarJo when someone like Hayley Atwell can convey anything she can better and works for a TV salary.
Atwell or especially Blunt would have done fine on less money, but Scarlett is one of the few stars in the Avengers acting lineup and probably adds some dollars back to the gross by herself just on account of being so well known.

What, you mean "best directors who are working on a CBM today"? Because Chris Nolan, Sam Raimi, et al are still working today.

I don't think they're (well Nolan at least) open to CBMs any more. So it makes no difference if they're capable of giving us the best films ever if we can't actually get them. :csad:

I don't think they're (well Nolan at least) open to CBMs any more. So it makes no difference if they're capable of giving us the best films ever if we can't actually get them. :csad:

Right. Kenneth Branagh is probably fed up too.
Let's see... Bryan Singer was good at best and troubled. Jon Watts is mediocre. Peyton Reed is good not great. Zack Snyder is fun to make fun of.
What made Joss Whedon a bad CBM director? I've seen some evidence that Avengers: Age of Ultron went stupidly over budget; is that true?
Taika Watiti gets comic book visuals but I dislike how he undercuts every dramatic moment with a quip. Try imagining Korg in a WW2 film...
Tim Miller (Deadpool) was a great director. There's a big gap in cinematography between that and the much more expensive sequel.
I don't think Ryan Coogler was ready to handle a CGI tentpole (the CGI in Wakanda looks like a PS3 game despite a $200 million budget). If that had been a film about an African kingdom in low-magic historical fantasy rather than an MCU film, I'd say he might be the best director still working on superheroes.
How are James Gunn, Patty Jenkins and John Favreau not better than the Russos?

Yes, they do. And as comic book directors Russos are better than them. COMIC BOOK DIRECTORS. Not directors in general.

Yes, they do. And as comic book directors Russos are better than them. COMIC BOOK DIRECTORS. Not directors in general.

No way. The Russos have simply directed three CBMs that have good screenplays. Apparently they're better at controlling the budget than Joss Whedon or Ryan Coogler, which is their first duty to Disney, but there are few moving scenes in any of the three where directing deserves the credit, and we know the actors ad libbing takes credit for all the best lines in Infinity War, not the directors.

Right. Kenneth Branagh is probably fed up too.
Let's see... Bryan Singer was good at best and troubled. Jon Watts is mediocre. Peyton Reed is good not great. Zack Snyder is fun to make fun of.
What made Joss Whedon a bad CBM director? I've seen some evidence that Avengers: Age of Ultron went stupidly over budget; is that true?
Taika Watiti gets comic book visuals but I dislike how he undercuts every dramatic moment with a quip. Try imagining Korg in a WW2 film...
Tim Miller (Deadpool) was a great director. There's a big gap in cinematography between that and the much more expensive sequel.
I don't think Ryan Coogler was ready to handle a CGI tentpole (the CGI in Wakanda looks like a PS3 game despite a $200 million budget). If that had been a film about an African kingdom in low-magic historical fantasy rather than an MCU film, I'd say he might be the best director still working on superheroes.
How are James Gunn, Patty Jenkins and John Favreau not better than the Russos?

Jenkins has made 1 (very good) film. Lots of people did well with their first film. Favreau for eg also did, but his star dimmed with IM2, while if it had been the same hit that IM was he might have been in the Russo's place (if that's what he wanted). Gunn made one magic film and then one that while still good had a noticeably less positive reaction. I like it a lot myself, but it's clear the reaction is a fair bit more mixed than for the first.

Coogler might not have been ready for the CGI challenge on such a huge scale, but he was ready for the most important challenge of making such a culturally important movie work. Just imagine if BP had been a 5/10 film. :csad:

And as you mentioned before that, many of the others have their weaknesses. The Russos have made 3 CBMs without a misfire, and all 3 have featured multiple times as people's overall MCU favourite if you look at the fan MCU film rankings thread. As well as all 3 being in many people's top 7.

Added to that, I think CW and particularly IW are much harder films to get right. There's almost noone I would trust with those kinds of films as even a whole body of quality work doesn't mean you'll be able to get a stupid amount of characters (too many by all traditional Hollywood rules) get taken seriously. These kinds of film are made to fail lol, but somehow CW and IW both worked.

No way. The Russos have simply directed three CBMs that have good screenplays. Apparently they're better at controlling the budget than Joss Whedon or Ryan Coogler, which is their first duty to Disney, but there are few moving scenes in any of the three where directing deserves the credit, and we know the actors ad libbing takes credit for all the best lines in Infinity War, not the directors.

Yes way. There is no way any of the three movies would be s good without the freaking directors. You are ignorant and delusional. Johnston directed a Markus and McFeely script in TFA and while good it's nowhere near the movies Russos made.

They are by far the most consistent cbm directors in the ratio quality/quantity and there is nothing you can do to debate that.

These kinds of film are made to fail lol, but somehow CW and IW both worked.

This is definitely true. The smaller, more intimate superhero films are more likely to have great cinematography and a director getting more out of his actors, precisely because they play by the conventional rules of the art. CW and IW were a whole other kind of project.

Yes way. There is no way any of the three movies would be s good without the freaking directors. You are ignorant and delusional.

Er, you're the one saying Chris Nolan and Sam Raimi aren't great CBM directors.

They are also extremely versatile. They went from one of he most grounded cbms of all time (TWS) with almost zero powers to one of the most comic-booky with a legion of heroes battling outriders and a group of other fighting a purple Titan in a desolated planet.

Er, you're the one saying Chris Nolan and Sam Raimi aren't great CBM directors.

Do you have some reading problem? Where did i say they are not good cbm directors? They are great. IMO Russos are just better.

Sooo.. what about them Disney buying Fox news? Any new news?

Do you have some reading problem? Where did i say they are not good cbm directors? They are great. IMO Russos are just better.

So please elaborate on why Winter Soldier or Civil War didn't shake up the Academy Awards like The Dark Knight. Is the Academy worthless? Were they right to exclude DKR from the Best Picture nominations and Heath Ledger got an undeserved Oscar due to tragic context?

Sooo.. what about them Disney buying Fox news? Any new news?
Unless Comcast defies expectations and unloads a hundred billion dollar all cash bid with stronger regulatory provisions for Fox or a third party suddenly/randomly decides to enter the fray and bids for the Fox assets then there will be no significant news until the shareholder meeting on July 27th where they will vote on the deal. After next Tuesday, if all goes well, then it’s pretty much smooth sailing from there with the deal likely closing by this December.

Comcast is done. Prior to the news of the DOJ appeal Roberts was indeed planning for another bid but the news really threw a wrench in his plans so now the irony exists that the very thing that will take Comcast out of the bidding war for Fox was the very thing that got them to bid (the AT&T/Time Warner merger approval encouraged them to ahead and starting bidding for the Fox assets in first place).

Last edited:
Unless, Comcast defies expectations and out of the blue unloads a hundred billion dollar all cash bid with stronger regulatory provisions for Fox or a third party suddenly/randomly decides to enter the fray and bids for the Fox assets then there will be no significant news until the shareholders meeting on July 27th where they will vote on the deal. After next Tuesday, if all goes well, then it’s pretty much smooth sailing from there with the deal likely closing by this December.

Comcast is done. Prior to the news of the DOJ appeal Roberts was indeed planning for another bid but the news really threw a wrench in his plans so now the irony exists that the very thing that will take Comcast out of the bidding war for Fox was the very thing that got them to bid (the AT&T/Time Warner merger approval encouraged them to ahead and starting bidding for the Fox assets in first place).
Is it the circle of life?

Comcast doesn't want Star India?

Less than 10 days to go until the final verdict, boys and girls! Hype!! :woot:

CLmEaq7WgAA8q77.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"