The Dark Knight Rises The TDKR Box Office Thread IV

Status
Not open for further replies.
You just answered your own question.

Did the secrecy really matter though in the end when the ending was leaked a good 2 weeks before and you have the cast like Bale and Freeman answering spoiler heavy questions? I don't know.

I don't know if it really mattered when it's all said and done but there was something off too with how TDKR was marketed (pre-Colorado tragedy). I can't really explain it... I think it's because they wanted to keep everything a secret. The screenings were very select, late embargoes, very few magazine covers for the cast, fewer than usual press rounds, etc. I was really surprised that Anne only got ONE magazine cover to promote TDKR when I was expecting her to be everywhere. Bale and Hardy didn't get any in the US either (Bale had some foreign ones but not as much as during TDK). No interviews with the online movie blogs like Collider, /Film, etc.

There was an awful lot here (UK), maybe they decided that America would take care of itself and went for a big push overseas, dont know just guessing of course:woot:

We may never know if TDKR would've gotten 175-185 million on opening weekend and had a stronger showing in the following weekend, but it's complex to adjust for the tragedy that transpired.

There was an awful lot here (UK), maybe they decided that America would take care of itself and went for a big push overseas, dont know just guessing of course:woot:

Possibly. But then the Colorado shooting happened. :(

I mean like what I said, I don't know if the weird marketing mattered because pre-Colorado shooting, it was tracking really good so maybe it didn't.

Someone already brought this up about how this trilogy never really had a chance to prove itself because of certain factors that might've skewed its numbers. BB had the disadvantage of following B&R, TDK had the Ledger effect, and TDKR had the Colorado shooting.

I mean like what I said, I don't know if the weird marketing mattered because pre-Colorado shooting, it was tracking really good so maybe it didn't.

After $30m at midnight, it was looking at a $180m weekend. That is massive, bigger ticket sales than TDK/SM3 and right in the same league as Avengers' ticket sales. So the marketing wasn't a problem.

Yeah hard to quantify something like that, pretty much unprecedented circumstance.

Doesnt seem to have hurt it long term though.

Yeah hard to quantify something like that, pretty much unprecedented circumstance.

Doesnt seem to have hurt it long term though.

It did hurt long term. You lose $20m on opening weekend and it's hard to make up for that at the end of the day. Some of the people have probably seen it since then and some are probably planning to see it in theaters. Some are going to skip it and rent the film instead. Some of those people are boycotting the film and blaming the movie for what happened, thanks to sensationalist media coverage.

Some of them are scared to death of watching it because of fear mongering in the media. And then there are others who might have planned to see the film later to avoid opening weekend crowds, but decided not to see it for the exact same reasons as the people who were scared away on opening weekend. Ultimately I think it lost $20-30m from its final domestic gross. It could have turned out a lot worse than that though. On the day it happened, I was thinking the film could gross sub-$350m domestic. The negative publicity felt like a nuke against the film.

The media definitely went overboard with it. Called it the "The Dark Knight Rises Shooting" or "Batman shooting". And then there were all these articles about how the movie is connected or is to be blamed for the shooting. :dry:

The media definitely went overboard with it. Called it the "The Dark Knight Rises Shooting" or "Batman shooting". And then there were all these articles about how the movie is connected or is to be blamed for the shooting. :dry:

Yes they did, and they're still doing it. Every time he goes to court, they mention the movie's title for some reason. How about just reporting that he's the movie theater shooter? Why call him The Dark Knight Rises shooter? I don't believe it's a malicious attempt to hurt the film's financial performance, but that's exactly what ends up happening. The media is just trying to use the film's name to get more attention for their stories and coverage, which then gives them more money because of advertising.

It did hurt long term. You lose $20m on opening weekend and it's hard to make up for that at the end of the day. Some of the people have probably seen it since then and some are probably planning to see it in theaters. Some are going to skip it and rent the film instead. Some of those people are boycotting the film and blaming the movie for what happened, thanks to sensationalist media coverage.

Some of them are scared to death of watching it because of fear mongering in the media. And then there are others who might have planned to see the film later to avoid opening weekend crowds, but decided not to see it for the exact same reasons as the people who were scared away on opening weekend. Ultimately I think it lost $20-30m from its final domestic gross. It could have turned out a lot worse than that though. On the day it happened, I was thinking the film could gross sub-$350m domestic. The negative publicity felt like a nuke against the film.

I suppose when you put it like that, it certainly has had an effect, I guess being overseas we dont see or feel the same amount of Media coverage that no doubt dominated US stations and media outlets.

The media certainly has its way of doing things but I guess thats for another thread.

Not surprising unfortunately. That movie has one of the weirdest campaign ever. I still enjoyed it though.

It was Michelle and Tim's reunion... and WB butchered the marketing. :csad:

Oh and the release date sucked.

I saw one that called it: "The Batman Massacre".

That **** pissed me off.

I don't know if it really mattered when it's all said and done but there was something off too with how TDKR was marketed (pre-Colorado tragedy). I can't really explain it... I think it's because they wanted to keep everything a secret. The screenings were very select, late embargoes, very few magazine covers for the cast, fewer than usual press rounds, etc. I was really surprised that Anne only got ONE magazine cover to promote TDKR when I was expecting her to be everywhere. Bale and Hardy didn't get any in the US either (Bale had some foreign ones but not as much as during TDK). No interviews with the online movie blogs like Collider, /Film, etc.

I work in NYC, and there were ads for it everywhere. On buses, phone kiosks, subways (which were also playing the TV spots), and there were tons of billboards. One was in the middle of Times Square, and a bunch of them wrapped around an entire building. The one on 42nd St was still there as of this morning.

Don't know about anywhere else, but you really couldn't miss the ads in the city.

The shooting definitely hurt. Our locals news mostly called it the "movie theater massacre" instead of naming the film, but it was part of the story, so it was reported anyway. What was worse was that for the next few days the news was also reporting any random incident happening at a movie theater (which happen all the time, it just doesn't make the news) and if it happened at TDKR, they would act like it was related.

I've heard a few people say they're just waiting for the DVD at this point, which I think is silly. I saw TDKR about an hour after I heard about Colorado and was totally shaken up about it, but I still saw the movie....and I saw it again last week. People shouldn't be afraid to go to the movies.

Well, looks like you're not going to last long here.

Spammer is gone....weep not for him...for he is now spamming some other site with his spammity spam....so he is in spam heaven......

How is this film doing in worldwide takings compared to TDK? Higher or lower so far at this time?

Compared to TDK after as many days, it is 31 % ahead of TDK in overseas collections.

Nice!

It's got some stiff competition coming up now with The Bourne Legacy and possibly Hope Springs (For the female demographic).

Last edited:
The fact that the Marvel Cinematic Universe is so high is both shocking and somewhat disappointing.

Harry Potter is 2.6 Billion clear of James Bond despite having 16 films less :funny:

This coming weekend will be my 5th viewing.

It's been getting better each time. :yay:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"