The TDKR General Discussion Thread - - - - - - - - - - Part 142

Discussion in 'The Dark Knight Rises' started by Thread Manager, Dec 6, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Travesty

Travesty Well-Known Member

Alfred's character was pretty bad in this movie.

2. CapedCrusader14

Alfred made me shed tears so I disagree :p

3. Reek

Reek _____

he definitely was awesome when he was there... the 'stairway scene' (you're not batman anymore) and the funeral were awesome... but damn... they completely wasted Alfred, Foley, hell even Gordon and Lucius.... all for John Blake as well as some other needless things...

and i love TDKR, for the record... just going through BB and TDK, TDKR is like a big 'huh?' to me. but its still awesome... it tries being a mix of TDK and BB and fails at doing both...but is its own.

4. CapedCrusader14

Alfred was pure quality in each scene of his so it never bothered me.

Gordon however? It just hurt. Gordon's one of my favourite things about these films and he was underused in Rises.

5. Reek

Reek _____

If they added one simple, incredibly emotional 2 minute scene where Alfred helps Bruce get "back in the game", it would be one of (if not THE) best moment in the trilogy.

6. Anita18

Anita18 DANCE FOR ME, FUNNY MAN!

It would have been, but Bruce needed to grow without Alfred. Alfred was always the crutch that enabled him to be Batman. When he was in that pit, he was alone and had to find his own strength to go on.

He only needed Lucius because he had the know-how about how to stop the bomb. Alfred couldn't do that.

7. Bane Cook

Bane Cook Well-Known Member

Wow there really is every opinion imaginable online. lol I LOVED every scene with Alfred and thought as much while watching the movie. Not liking Alfred in this movie really comes out of left field to me.

Yea but it would have been strange as he was adamantly against him being Batman anymore lol

8. CapedCrusader14

This is easily the most polarising comic book film (besides Watchmen) that I've ever seen, that's for sure.

9. Anno_Domini

Anno_Domini Well-Known Member

Indeed, and both of those polarizing films are in my top five favorite CBMs.

10. CapedCrusader14

Watchmen was great IMO.

11. Reek

Reek _____

eh, Bruce had grown enough... he found his own strength when he got out of the pit... Alfred still could have been the guy to help get him back to gotham, and given him a nice pep talk... maybe giving Bruce his support not only advances Alfreds character, but gives Bruce a further spark to his new, pit escaping, self...

Who didn't like Alfred? I said he was under used.

And yes, he was against him being Batman again... People tend to change their minds when a nuclear bomb is about to blow up a million people.

12. redfirebird2008

redfirebird2008 Well-Known Member

It's not even the most polarizing Batman movie (that would go to Returns). However, I do think this is the Nolan version of Returns in that there is some controversy when it first comes out and then over time most fans accept it for what it is. I could be wrong about that, but we'll see how it goes over the next 20 years (unless the Mayans are right about 2012).

13. Bane Cook

Bane Cook Well-Known Member

Then I guess I wasn't referring to you. :woot:
    But on second reading I noticed CHARACTER. I read it as "Alfred was pretty bad in this movie." I still disagree with the statement. Not exactly sure where more Aflred would have fit in, in an already bloated movie. Like I said, I like him as he was in the movie.

Fair enough.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2012
  14. CapedCrusader14

Returns is quite polarising to some but not to me, never liked the film and my repeated viewings didn't really help.

15. redfirebird2008

redfirebird2008 Well-Known Member

I love Batman Returns. The fact that we have opposite views on it is the very definition of polarizing.

16. CapedCrusader14

Spot on :up:

17. BatLobsterRises

BatLobsterRises Lobsterized

Yeah, it's insane. There truly is every single opinion imaginable out there. It's not divisive in the sense that it divides people in half. It divides people like a friggin' pizza pie.

- Every Act has been cited as the film's worst and best.
    - Bane, Selina, Bruce Wayne, Blake and Alfred have been called the best characters of the movie.
    - Bane, Selina, Bruce Wayne, Blake and Alfred have been called the worst characters of the movie.
    - The Bat was awesome/The Bat was too out there
    - The movie was wasn't long enough/The movie was too long
    - Yay full circle/Boo full circle
    - The ending...'nuff said

Not to mention all the middle ground. Wildly divisive. Yet, still very much embraced by the overall majority. I do believe the trilogy easily will stand the test of time regardless of how the dust settles on Rises. Though IMO, it only gets better the more you watch it and think about it. Of course, there are those who feel the opposite haha.

18. Tacit Ronin

Tacit Ronin Well-Known Member

Batman Returns is my favorite Bat film.

19. kvz5

kvz5 HBIC

From a WGA screening last week:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    (Credit:dragon)

20. Reek

Reek _____

Why is Ferris Bueller with Michael Caine and Chistopher Nolan?

21. AnneFan

AnneFan Hathaway #1

Cool beans. Or alternatively, bean cools. :oldrazz:

22. Tacit Ronin

Tacit Ronin Well-Known Member

You know how the insignificant plot device of Dagget could've been improved on? If they brought back Rutger Hauer's character as a substitute. You could still have him be the same plot device as from before, but his history with Bruce in Batman Begins would immediately give it a greater texture. And his motivation to take over Wayne Ent. would be have some weight.

See, that right there is a better call back to Begins than LOS.

23. craigdbfan

craigdbfan Well-Known Member

That actually wouldn't of been to shabby of an idea in fact you're right that it would have held far greater resonance.

24. CapedCrusader14

I actually wanted Earle to be back.

25. TheBat812

TheBat812 Well-Known Member

It would have been fine but feels a bit nonsensical that they woudl let him back into their company, he was pretty humiliated in his first departure. The plot point was believable because of the existence of other convenient gadgets throughout the trilogy. Daggett felt like the new, more selfish version of Earle (Daggett was trying to absorb WE, Earle was trying to increase their own profits), just like bane was the new, more selfish version of Ra's (he wanted to spite those in power more than he wanted a restored balance, like Ra's did).

Last edited: Dec 6, 2012
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.