The TDKR General Discussion Thread - - - - - - - - - - - - - Part 145

Discussion in 'The Dark Knight Rises' started by Thread Manager, May 13, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BatLobsterRises

BatLobsterRises Lobsterized

That's cool man. I'm a TV editor, but I'd love to get more involved with the film side of things, and I'm still dabbling a little with writing. I find screenwriting to be extremely, extremely challenging so I've definitely got a healthy respect for it.

But yeah, the whole trilogy has been a huge inspiration for me in my line of work.

2. Ryan

Ryan Well-Known Member

I think I must be in the minority (which is fine) that didn't like the pit scenes. I kinda viewed it like...ok...he's in a pit, he's going to jump a few times and not make it, but in the end he will. There was no real surprise for me in it, and I honestly didn't have any kind of emotional feeling about it either.

3. Isearch4dope

Isearch4dope Well-Known Member

That's batawesome and you're way closer to it than me. Writing of any sorts for me is a b**** but I'm more of an idea guy. Inspiration isn't the word....I think the trilogy has genuinely sparked a REVOLUTION :woot:

4. Isearch4dope

Isearch4dope Well-Known Member

Yup that's the feeling right there. Now tell me if a personalized pit (emotionally personalized) below Wayne Tech in Bane's lair wouldn't at least make you want to see how on earth he's going to escape that one or something other than just a jump to be made :woot:

5. JackWhite

JackWhite Third Man

Really? What about Bruce's struggle? Knowing that he really has to dig down deep to eventually make the jump, because he isn't the same man from the first two films. Nothing? Oh well. I bet that second act felt like forever then, lol.

6. Ryan

Ryan Well-Known Member

I mean, that's a good question. I don't really know. The only touching scene for me in the whole trilogy was when Batman was telling Gordon who he was. I thought that was a nice touch. But for most of the trilogy I"d either experience intrigue,excitement or dread when they'd start playing that Joker theme, as you didn't know what was going to happen. I didn't get those things out of the pit scenes and most of TDKR to be honest.

7. Ryan

Ryan Well-Known Member

Ha, ya,,,,,it did feel like forever. Again, mainly because I knew where it was going. I mean, I guess all I could think of was the Rocky movie (which I saw as a kid)when he fights the Russian. Back then I really got into the whole "finding yourself and getting back to the basics of what made you" type of deal. Either because I've seen it done before (see Rocky reference) or some other reason, I honestly had no 'feeling' about the pit jumping. I honestly am just not a huge fan of films that tread familiar ground and I like to be surprised. Hence why I liked the Batman reveal to Gordon...I didn't see that coming and I enjoyed it.

8. The Joker

The Joker The Clown Prince of Crime

That sounds so amazing.

9. Tacit Ronin

Tacit Ronin Well-Known Member

Cool idea. Poetic. The only problem is that Nolan didn't really make crime alley aesthetically distinctive. It looked like any other stinky and wet backdrop. So the pure aesthetic power of Batman literally climbing out of where his parents were killed might be lessened. Another instance where Nolan's visual mundane-ness hinders a great idea.

10. BatLobsterRises

BatLobsterRises Lobsterized

So apparently Interstellar is looking to be the last 70mm IMAX production before the company shifts almost entirely to the 4k laser system. There will still be a few select theaters that use 70mm prints, but Interstellar will most likely be the last Hollywood film to shoot on 70mm.

This saddens me. :csad:

Last edited: May 15, 2013
  11. Anno_Domini

Anno_Domini Well-Known Member

We could have gotten something else, sure, but the eight year gap doesn't effect me as much as others because Batman had already done plenty within his year of activity. But this isn't where I'm supposedly "close minded" about. I'm supposedly "close minded" about with the idea that some can actually say that Nolan didn't have the heart in TDKR and didn't truly follow up TDK the way it "should've been", but yet Nolan has said that he felt this was the natural progression to go. To say the director acted like this or that is just petty to say, imo.

Think what you'd like to believe, I'm sure you always will anyways, but I just know that in the beginning, people tried to compare the two without viewing one film as itself. I rarely read as many comparisons with BB and TDK as I read between TDK and TDKR.

And I'll take the asinine talk of Nolan having no heart in making TDKR seriously as well with proof, lol :cwink:

Hah, okay. That's why there has been articles of the problems with TDKR that no one ever talks about that indeed happened in BB and TDK...alright...

Revenge isn't a "meh" motivation. It's a natural motivation you will likely see when it comes to many villains.

Agreed. Nolan didn't spend too much time on his version of Crime Alley for it to really mean anything to the audience or even Bruce himself.

12. the last son

the last son Well-Known Member

The chick playing mj isn't hot. I don't care about hit enough for a comic character just in general.

13. the last son

the last son Well-Known Member

TDKR I haven't seen since it came out and don't plan on seeing it again. It was just too boring. Not enough fight scenes.

14. Ryan

Ryan Well-Known Member

I have no idea if Nolan's heart was in TDKR or not. I'm guessing that Heath's death affected everyone pretty hard and I'm guessing that a lot of people on set would have missed seeing him revisit the role he made so famous, but more so, the man that they got to know and like so well.

15. JackWhite

JackWhite Third Man

[​IMG]

16. Brain Damage

Brain Damage Everything Under the Sun

Wow, that's depressing.
    I still kick myself daily for not seeing The Master in 70mm. Such an unbelievably gorgeous way to see a film.

17. Snow Queen

I've always been curious about this complaint. What about Dick Grayson's time as Batman or Terry?

18. Kane52630

Kane52630 Something's gotta stop the flow

[​IMG]

19. Kane52630

Kane52630 Something's gotta stop the flow

I was still kinda sad that they never got to do this in the trilogy...

OT... Man I could watch Phantasm any day of the week and watch it from beginning to end.

20. Brain Damage

Brain Damage Everything Under the Sun

That's probably my favorite moment in the entire Batman mythos :up:
    I literally get chocked up every time Bruce says "I didn't count on being happy."
    Oh, man, here come the waterworks :csad:

21. JackWhite

JackWhite Third Man

If there is one thing Nolan didn't do, it's the Bruce at his parents grave scene. I was willing to put money on us getting it in TDKR.

22. Snow Queen

Maybe I'm just crazy here but I have a very different interpretation of the ending. To quote myself:

23. Snow Queen

I completely agree and think that these images should be the covers for BB and TDK:

BB:
    [​IMG]

Or

[​IMG]

And, for TDK, a frame from when Bruce is in the chair with the cowl in his hands and the armour all over the floor. I just can't find a picture of it for some reason.

I agree, especially since it furthers the parallels and how Bruce rises above his pain while Bane is still trapped there (since Bruce escaped and he was rescued) and cannot escape it. The Pit is pain and not having Bruce escape on his own defeats his character arc entirely.

24. The Joker

The Joker The Clown Prince of Crime

Nobody says Nolan didn't have his heart in it, they say it feels like Nolan didn't have his heart in this movie because the quality of it is a dramatic drop from the previous two movies.

A director doesn't have to physically say it in an interview. It shows in his work. Like an artist.

I'd love to see where all these comparisons were. I really would.

As I already said it's not stated as a fact. As an opinion based on the quality of the movie itself.

BB and TDK had plenty of articles picking apart their plots, too.

[​IMG]

25. Snow Queen

Thank you. Exactly that.

I just think having three Bruce Wayne covers works perfectly for this trilogy.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.