The Dark Knight Rises The TDKR General Discussion Thread - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - Part 148

Status
Not open for further replies.
And I love it how the people who applaud Travesty for his tired attempts at humour are the ones who still feel the need to bash TDKR almost 2 years on. :cwink:

The "feeling it in his bones and stuff" crap is getting really annoying and OLD. It's literally the same joke over and over everyday for the last 2 years. Find some new jokes for crying out loud. It was funny the first few times, sure, but it's stale now.
I7nC1JX.jpg

Exactly. What if he really feels in his bones and stuff that it's the worst he's ever seen.
3NorRIl.gif

Theres's people still defending this movie like it's the greatest movie ever almost two years later, too. Heck, I'm sure Anno is still fighting with someone over the quality of TDKR in some message board. I like the film, but if this thread is going to remain open, you will continue to see both lovers and haters discussing it. It's not one or the other.

Oh, I'm well aware of the back and forth that comes with the territory that is the 'TDKR Discussion Thread'. I'm just saying, it's kind of tedious to see a poster making variations of the same tired joke on and on, but that's just me (+ Shauner and a couple of others).

At the same time, I scarcely recall any of the TDKR defenders here claiming it to be among "the greatest movie ever" or something along those lines. If anything, the ones who were disappointed by the movie are more prone to hyperbole such as the "the worst x", " the worst y", "the worst z" and so forth. What TDKR defenders around here do most often that not, is support the claim that it's not as bad as the haters make it out to be. Which, if you're an objective observer, have to admit is true.

I'm just saying, it's kind of tedious to see a poster making variations of the same tired joke on and on, but that's just me (+ Shauner and a couple of others).
Whoa, "feeling it in your bones and stuff" is no joke, sir!

It's a way of life! :ikyn

Now when I see that scene in TDKR I'll always expect Blake to say, "and stuff".

:lmao::lmao::lmao:
:applaud
:bow:

That's my new jam! :dj

Last edited:
I wasn't trolling when I said O' Donnel was a better Robin character. I meant it. Not the one above though, but this one,

318056_large.jpg

wdytya-chris-odonnell-04.jpg

There's a difference, and yes, I am posting this with a straight face. O' Donnell's scenes of relating to Bruce and wanting him to train him with that cocky attitude was better than what they did with Blake, by far. When he's punching the **** out of Batman, releasing his anger, I bought him more as an orphan feeling pain than "teh bones" speech. So there.

I didn't even say I thought he was the best either. The animated series and Burt Ward versions are.

That makes it somewhat better as my initial reaction went to B&R. However, I still would disagree, as he was still written to be cool and "hip" by '90s standards. He is a rebel, drives a motorcycle, etc. Plus, O'Donnell, as nice as he seems in real life, is not much of an actor and is left wanting.

I do think BF did Robin (as in the superhero) in the best way possible on paper--by aging him up. The child Robin will never work onscreen unless they are going for the tone of satire or farce like in Kick-Ass. Otherwise, the idea of a 12-year-old beating up grown men who also usually happen to be professional killers and/or maniacs is absurd. Aging him to be 18 (though O'Donnell was clearly in his 20s) is the smart way to go.

But the execution is still meh.

I do not think Blake is on par with what TAS did with the character(s) (the best iteration, IMO) or even Damian Wayne's amusing style in the recent Morrison run of Batman comics where child superheroes seem less silly on the page.

But I will take JGL's performance and actual character to the Robin who was written like every other generic '90s would-be "heart throb" character. He felt like he stepped off the set of 90210 to me.

Eh, let's keep up a solid discussion. I will say this: Bones N' stuff has officially ruined that particular scene for me. And I ain't even mad. :woot:

I've always said nix Blake and flesh out the Talia/Bane relationship.

Make Foley Bullock and less "hot heads" dialogue and we are on to something.

Speaking of ruined scenes...I still can't look at crying Alfred Graveyard scene thanks to that one gifset on tumblr. lol

O'Donnell was better in Forever but he's not a good actor and i totally agree that Robin was like something out of 90210 in that movie. Ill gladly take Blake/JGL over that.

O'Donnel had acrobatic skills, Robin John Blake didn't.

acrobatic>>>>>>>>sees faces.

Blake didn't because he wasn't Dick Grayson...who is an acrobat....

Nono, I don't think you get it. Apply yourself, Shauner!

acrobatic skills>>>>>>>>>sees faces

What do you think, Jesse?

BiTxH31.gif

O'Donnell was better in Forever but he's not a good actor and i totally agree that Robin was like something out of 90210 in that movie. Ill gladly take Blake/JGL over that.

Someone didn't see Scent of a Woman. I guess Chris O' Donnell should have worn Al Pachino prosthetic make up like Levitt did for his Bruce Willie movie.

Of course ive seen Scent of a Woman. Chris O'Donnell has never been a good actor. He's average on his best day.

Of course ive seen Scent of a Woman. Chris O'Donnell has never been a good actor. He's average on his best day.

He held his own against Pachino, seems like an good actor to me. Great and famous? Nah, but bad? I don't think so. He seems more like a family man than a movie star, he really hasn't done much in terms of film and tv. I think the last thing I saw him in was NCIS. Levitt? He's been in everything. We're talking about Robin characters here though, so careers aside, O' Donnell did a better job with that "Batman protege" character than Levitt did, experience be damned. B&R is crap, but what he did in Forever was pretty good I think. You even admitted to liking him up until they go and fight Riddler and Two-Face at the end of the movie (a sentiment I agree with).

Burt Ward trumps both of them though and he has a whopping 3-4 roles under his belt. :funny:

Then there's an amalgamation of talents from creators (Bruce Timm) to writers (Paul Dini) to voice actors (Loren Lester) that made a 2D cartoon character model that was more compelling than all 3 of them.

I like Joseph Gordon Levitt, got nothing against the guy. Robin John Blake though? Nobody cares about him, everyone hates him. Bad character, lame "Robin" and stuff.

Last edited:
Everybody hates him? You are aware that the fans are the people who hated this character, and not all of them at all. As Jett from BOF likes to say (and he's right whether you hate him or not).."the fans are a piss drop in the ocean compared to the overall audience for these movies". Ive heard way more people, fans AND general moviegoers talk **** about O'Donnell and the Robin character in the shumacher movies (Batman Forever too) than the people who complain about Blake. As a matter of fact, when i saw TDKR in the summer of 2012, 4 times in the cinema, all i kept hearing was good responses for Blake. When i would go online everybody seemed to like the character much more than the past Robins on the big screen but a lot of people had some nitpicking goin'on when it came to him being called Robin or how he found out Batman's identity.

Even if people just hate the character nowadays, i still enjoyed it more than some corny-ass Robin like we got in the 60s and 90s. At least the 60s tried being funny and did a good job with it. Sure the Grayson stuff was pretty decent before he puts on the suit but once he's Robin it's pretty awful. 90210 the redux.

Even Philip Seymour Hoffman praised JGL and the Blake character. So it just seems to me like it's only a strong percentage of the hardcore Bat fanbase who can't stand John Blake. They all pout and kick & scream because he never wore a suit, had a different name to the comics, felt it in his bones and stuff (even though Tim Drake practically did the same thing).

The Blake haters are an extremely small percentage. Even if you look around the internet and you see nothing but hate...the only people who would vote for something like that would be comic book fans. Most people who saw this movie of the G.A, had no damn idea Robin was "Dick Grayson" in name or that there are multiple robins in the source material. They looked at it as oh JGL's character is Robin! Oh cool.

And to add to that..

I like what i like. I dont need fans telling me that it's not accurate to the character, it's not going to change my mind. I can seperate film from a comic book. Im not delusional. I know it's a different medium and it's also a different version. I can care less if it's a change. If i respond emotionally to something then i dont care. If i think it's clever then even greater. I only question the folks who dont like him because it feels like they have a different motive for that.

He's not named Dick Grayson for a reason. He's not an acrobat for a reason. Quite frankly he's not even Robin! That was just a nod at the end. He's not gonna call himself Robin, he's not becoming Nightwing, we're not going to find out that his parents were in the circus before his mom gave birth to him. He's just a little similar to all of those characters. He deduces Batman's identity which happened in the comics, yes, under different circumstances cuz it's well...different! He's an orphan like them. He becomes a detective, sound familiar? All things that make you think of Robin. Robin is a part of the inspiration. Hence the nod during the reading of the will. But he's still not him.

Now there are people who genuinely didn't like the character for reasons that just focus on the movie at hand. But the amount is so small that it's embarrassing to even mention it. Because the majority of these haters are fans who just weren't happy that he wasn't actually Dick Grayson. They wanted a serious version of Batman Forever or something. It's reasonable if this series was getting the comics 100 percent right all the time. But it never was. It always ventured off into unknown territory and only mixed different graphic novel ideas from the modern age into totally different approaches.

Lol, so I was gone for the weekend and just saw that somehow this thread has gone nuclear. I can't even imagine what the Batman/Superman boards are like right now...

I really could care less about Blake arguments at this point, but I'll just say that saying "everyone hates him" is a huge exaggeration. We all just talk from our own experience and our own circle. Most of my friends after seeing the movie felt he was a surprise standout and I agreed.

I like O'Donnell's Grayson/Robin. He did a fine job with what he was given. He also had a pretty simple revenge/justice type of arc. I think Blake is a more complex character with a more complex arc. Bones 'n'all.

Last edited:
Honestly, I have seen much more praise for JGL and John Blake than negativity, even on the internet. Compared to O'Donnel and his Robin, O'Donnel gets mostly negative responses, even for "Forever" (unjustly I think). I don't understand where statements like "Everybody hates John Blake" or "Nobody cares about him" when I've been to several movie/Batman websites since 2012 and it has been quite the opposite.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"