The Dark Knight Rises The TDKR General Discussion Thread - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - Part 149

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah. The action is nothing special, maybe the first time we see Spidey, that's it. For me at least.

The main things going for TASM 2 are Andrew and Emma. Everything else falls short. Some people may say any comparisons of it to Joel Schumacher's Batman movies are crazy, but believe me they are not. Just watch the movie yourselves to see. Max Dillon, Dr. Kafka, Rhino etc are like something straight out of a Schumacher Batman movie.

I gave it a 6/10 mainly for Andrew and Emma. They carry the movie. Nolan's Batman trilogy has no competition for best superhero trilogy with this one, even if by some miracle the third one is brilliant. We've already had two mediocre movies with terrible forgettable villains. The damage is done.

The main things going for TASM 2 are Andrew and Emma. Everything else falls short. Some people may say any comparisons of it to Joel Schumacher's Batman movies are crazy, but believe me they are not. Just watch the movie yourselves to see. Max Dillon, Dr. Kafka, Rhino etc are like something straight out of a Schumacher Batman movie.

I gave it a 6/10 mainly for Andrew and Emma. They carry the movie. Nolan's Batman trilogy has no competition for best superhero trilogy with this one, even if by some miracle the third one is brilliant. We've already had two mediocre movies with terrible forgettable villains. The damage is done.

That performance was weirdly over the top... It truly did remind me of this:

zjwm02.jpg

As long as JGL doesn't become Spiderman at the end, I think I'll like it.

I guess you'll like 99.9 percent of every movie then.

I recently re-watched TASM again and yeah, best thing about it was Peter and Gwen's romance. I'm kind of disappointed that there romance appears to be the best thing again in the sequel.

These comparisons with Schumacher's Batman films is very unsettling, but I'm also oddly intrigued to see this comparison for myself, lol.

I do. I really do. But believe me, I know it's not a popular opinion.

I was more emotionally invested in Spider-Man 3 and overall felt it was more memorable, be it for the right or wrong reasons.

I liked what Raimi did with Peter and MJ, plus the Harry stuff, while rushed, was handled quite nicely for me.
Agreed. TASM was a decent film, but a little too meh for my liking. The others in the series have more 'oomph' and colour to them.

Dear Lord....just when I was done with this thread for good, some of my favorite posters get on here and start talking about Spider-Man, my favorite topic right after Batman. And of course it will tempt me to post here again after seeing TASM 2.

There's no escape from this thread, is there? :yay:

Reminds me of this...
[YT]ViPppw8zq0g[/YT]

Last edited:
I do...it's so forgetful. You can't say the same with Spider-Man 3.

Spider-man 3 is memorable for all of the wrong reasons, as Pfeiffer-Pfan said. While TASM is a less-than-stellar rehash, at least it's not painful to watch like most of SM3 is.

Pfeiffer-Pfan said:
I do. I really do. But believe me, I know it's not a popular opinion.

I was more emotionally invested in Spider-Man 3 and overall felt it was more memorable, be it for the right or wrong reasons.

I liked what Raimi did with Peter and MJ, plus the Harry stuff, while rushed, was handled quite nicely for me.

Hey, it's your opinion and you're welcome to it.

The emotional investment in SM3 was likely due to the two awesome films that preceded it. We were all emotionally invested in the overall trajectory of the series. bad place, the reason I joined SHH was the follow the SM3 production and talk about it. At that time, I don't think I'd ever been so excited for a movie...and then so let down by one.

Nearly everything about SM3 is garbage to me. I don't even want to get into it now. With TASM, my expectations weren't nearly as high, so it didn't bother me or piss me off the way SM3 did. I also think that, while it wasn't too memorable, TASM got more right than it did wrong. And despite primarily being a rehash of things we'd seen before, I still think it was a necessary step for getting a new Spidey series started with a great new cast.

painful to some...joyful laughs for others.

painful to some...joyful laughs for others.

Eh, a few joyful laughs at the expense of Tobey Maguire acting like an idiot isn't enough the other 2 and a half hours a pass.

Remember when Peter shows up to the Spider-man key-to-the-city thing, we see a marching band playing and then it cuts to Peter doing a mime as if he was a marching band drummer? Poor Tobey.

The definition of acting like an idiot must be a broad and vague term then. lol I don't see how that was a problem. A real problem is something like Bale's batvoice.

Eh, a few joyful laughs at the expense of Tobey Maguire acting like an idiot isn't enough the other 2 and a half hours a pass.

Remember when Peter shows up to the Spider-man key-to-the-city thing, we see a marching band playing and then it cuts to Peter doing a mime as if he was a marching band drummer? Poor Tobey.

To be fair Spider-Man doing something like that for laughs is totally in-character.

Spider-Man 3 is probably the most overrated "bad" film out of all the films generally considered bad. Too many people try to excuse it and its flaws IMO.

Oh Spider-Man 3 is a bad film. But i can enjoy it. Like Batman and Robin.

It's ok to enjoy badly made films. It's ok to not enjoy well made films. I'll live and die by this motto :)

To be fair Spider-Man doing something like that for laughs is totally in-character.

Exactly...he's acting like a nerd. Which IS Peter Parker. What he was doing at ceremony is exactly in character and it's not like something they just did out of no where. You can look at the previous films and he does some nerdy sh** all the time.

You can't say for the Garfield "hey look at me skateboarding and unrealistically can't get a date" Peter Parker.

The definition of acting like an idiot must be a board and vague term then. lol I don't see how that was a problem. A real problem is something like Bale's batvoice.

That was just a little thing I always thought Tobey looked funny doing which also seemed relatively pointless.

I'm not blaming Tobey Maguire for anything, by the way (besides phoning in much of his performance in that movie). But yes, he looked like an idiot several times in the film because of what he was forced to do. There's nothing broad and vague about him having an emo haircuit, spitting out cringe-inducing dialogue, and dancing around like a buffoon on more than one occasion, specifically during an extended choreographed dance sequence. The entire symbiote subplot was completely mishandled, but we all know this already anyway. No need to dwell on it further.

Oh Spider-Man 3 is a bad film. But i can enjoy it. Like Batman and Robin.

It's ok to enjoy badly made films. It's ok to not enjoy well made films. I'll live and die by this motto :)

Batman and Robin at least has an even tone of being over-the-top, silly, and stupid all the way through. It's fun to watch because of that. The tone of SM3 is all over the place and most of it is just boring. Definitely not as fun of a movie-watching experience.

Exactly...he's acting like a nerd. Which IS Peter Parker. What he was doing at ceremony is exactly in character and it's not like something they just did out of no where. You can look at the previous films and he does some nerdy sh** all the time.

You can't say for the Garfield "hey look at me skateboarding and unrealistically can't get a date" Peter Parker.

The "nerdy ****" he does is often still too nerdy even for 1960's Peter.

As for Garfield:
1) Skateboarding has no correlation with one's character or with whether or not you're a nerd.
2) Peter's problem was never getting the girls. It was keeping them. Most of his dates would bomb due to his awkward/nerdiness or due to him running off to do Spider-Man things, despite his good looks.

The problem i have with Garfield's Parker (haven't seen the second one yet) is that he is a bit of a snarky dukee anyway. For me, Parker only acts snarky when under the mask. The Spider-Man persona is his release, he can act how he's always wanted to act when he's Spider-Man.

Don't really get that duality with ASM but i thought Raimi's films got that spot on.

The problem i have with Garfield's Parker (haven't seen the second one yet) is that he is a bit of a snarky dukee anyway. For me, Parker only acts snarky when under the mask. The Spider-Man persona is his release, he can act how he's always wanted to act when he's Spider-Man.

Don't really get that duality with ASM but i thought Raimi's films got that spot on.

Peter's always had a tiny bit of that snarky attitude in him. Spider-Man just amplified it to the infinite degree. However, he still did little things here and there like talking back to Flash. Nothing too big or too over-the-top, but he never always sat there without saying a word either. It would come out once in a while.

A recent retelling of the origin (in 616 continuity) had Flash bully Peter into helping him with math. Peter replies with "Sure. 2+2=4".

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jeremija
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"