The Dark Knight Rises The TDKR General Discussion Thread - - - - - - - Part 156

I think Keaton is in a "F*** it, I'm gonna have fun with this" stage of his career, so I don't really fault him for it. I think it's similar to Harrison Ford kind of making the rounds with all of his classic roles one more time. The heart probably grows fonder for those times as these guys hit the twilight of their life/career, especially knowing these are the things they'll be most remembered for.

I still weirdly hope to see Beetlejuice 2 happen. I could easily be a total disaster, but it's a disaster I'd happily pay money to see. :funny:
Agreed haha. I think the idea of bringing back actors in their later years to their iconic roles is mostly a good thing. I mean, obviously, on one hand it's great to have a beginning, middle and end to a story or interpretation. Once that story is wrapped up, it become a moment in time captured on film for the world to revisit forever. But then as time goes on, audiences miss that character or the era upon which they were introduced, so then seeing them again in present times can be a very emotional experience. We're in the era of nostalgia now, and it has worked out both good and somewhat mixed. No Way Home is an example of it being done great. Same for Blade Runner 2049, Creed, The Force Awakens (it backfired, I know) and Top Gun Maverick. It's nice to be able to revisit something that meant so much at a particular point in our lives. So there's definitely a lot of interest there in seeing Keaton again as Batman, and it makes me wonder how WB is gonna handle The Flash we get closer to it's release. Do they market the movie with Keaton being the focus? or dump it to streaming?

True. It's not like WB has to worry about keeping Nolan happy, anymore. That bridge is burned.
That's a good point about Nolan and WB. However, things change. There's a new regime (again) at the studio, which at the very least throws new possibilities regarding their relationship. And time is usually the best healer. Also the door was never completely closed. Let's not forget that even after everything that happened, WB was still in the mix for Oppenheimer's distribution rights. If the film does well enough, I'm sure in the future they'll try to win him back again.

I'll say this. While I don't think anything that happens narratively in The Flash, Batgirl or any films where Keaton appears as Batman will taint the Burton films for me, there is still something to be said for...when something is more rarified, it maintains a certain special quality. Previously, if you wanted to see Keaton's Batman, you could only find it in two places. Batman and Batman Returns. Which up to now has given those movies a lot of added value and mystique.

Kind of the same principle as inflation. It doesn't bother me in this case, but I can understand how some might prefer to just let a good thing be, especially if it doesn't turn out well.

I can understand that perspective.

There's also something with this approach too that doesn't have any kind of appeal other than just seeing him return. I remember with NWH people were hyped to see the three Spider-Men interact, and to see them be reunited with their villains again, and the possibility of seeing their villains mingling with each other (and it was awesome seeing Molina and Dafoe share scenes and converse with each other).

We don't have any of that sort of hype for Keaton in Flash.

Last edited:
So there's definitely a lot of interest there in seeing Keaton again as Batman, and it makes me wonder how WB is gonna handle The Flash we get closer to it's release. Do they market the movie with Keaton being the focus? or dump it to streaming?

I think WB is just gonna bite the bullet and theatrically release. Too much money as been spent at this point, and to be fair it's kind of unfair to all the cast and crew who worked hard on that movie to have their work thrown under the bus because of the terrible actions of the star of the movie. I think they just push forward, maybe minimal press, but still do a theatrical to recoup whatever they can before it hits HBO Max.

It wouldn't be the first time a movie got released under weird circumstances. If you recall, Bohemian Rhapsody was pretty much a Bryan Singer movie but that got completely swept under the rug because of the stuff that was going on with him. They still promoted the film and I'm sure the press was barred from asking about that. Granted, a bit of a different situation because it's not one of the faces of the movie, but still. I think WB will just push through the awkward and lean on Keaton as the real star of the movie.

As for Nolan and WB, yeah, you never know, it's a new regime now and his old pal Alan Horn is back. But I also think if Nolan is happy with Universal he'll stay put for a while as he likes developing those relationships.

I can understand that perspective.

There's also something with this approach too that doesn't have any kind of appeal other than just seeing him return. I remember with NWH people were hyped to see the three Spider-Men interact, and to see them be reunited with their villains again, and the possibility of seeing their villains mingling with each other (and it was awesome seeing Molina and Dafoe share scenes and converse with each other).

We don't have any of that sort of hype for Keaton in Flash.

To me it's just gonna be weird seeing him in the DCEU with gods and aliens. The Burton films feel like such a specific thing...They are fantastic to a degree but I can't easily imagine BatKeaton facing Darkseid or whatever they have in store for him in the DCEU.

I just heard the Batgirl movie was shelved. Wasn't Keaton supposed to be in that too?

I just heard the Batgirl movie was shelved. Wasn't Keaton supposed to be in that too?
Yes. Is it real, though? Are they throwing away money now with Discovery?

If true, Keaton must be thrilled that his big return as Batman is in a film that is supposedly so bad that they reportedly shelved it completely during post-production and another one that they want to make it disappear because of the all the problems around its main star.

If true, Keaton must be thrilled that his big return as Batman is in a film that is supposedly so bad that they reportedly shelved it completely during post-production and another one that they want to make it disappear because of the all the problems around its main star.

‘Batgirl’ Scrapped at Warner Bros., Won’t Hit HBO Max – The Hollywood Reporter

The Hollywood Reporter just confirmed it so that probably seals it as true. Hilarious they want to shelve that movie but push ahead with Ezra Miller's Flash movie after all the crap that's been surrounding him.

Wow I can't believe that they're actually throwing away a 100 million dollar movie like that. It's unreal.

But I don't buy that they're doing it just because the film is that bad. I'm sure The Flash is one way or the other connected to the reason they've decided that. Maybe they want to make that film disappear as well (which would be extra crazy) so Keaton's sudden appearance wouldn't make sense in Batgirl. Or maybe they changed their minds about him replacing Affleck as the future Batman of DCEU.

In any case, these are pretty shocking news to me.

:lmao:

What a s*** show. I just can't believe WB. I'm not mad that the film got cancelled because I wasn't terribly excited for it but wow. This is the second DC film they have cancelled recently.

From what I hear Batgirl only makes sense as a story (including Keaton’s 5 scenes) if one watches The Flash first. I know they’re talking about how Batgirl would need reshoots and CG, which they don’t want to spend money on at this point. I get that, especially if they’re already over their head with the budget + mixed reactions from the test screening. But I think there’s more to it.

They’re obviously done with Ezra. Nice reactions to the Flash screenings or not, I bet they want to release this thing under the radar and be done with it. I don’t think Keaton is here to stay. Probably a one-off. I don’t think they know what to do with Barry Allen. Cavill isn’t coming back. They want a Superman reboot but still figuring it out. Affleck is finished and only stepped in for a Aquaman cameo because it doesn’t make sense with Keaton anymore. Gal’s time might be winding down after WW3. I believe they’re thinking “new regime, wipe the slate clean, reboot just like Battinson”. Not saying they’ll ever mix their stuff with Reeves’ Batman. Probably not. But same idea to start over.

LMAO at J.K Simmons right now. Poor bastard. I feel really bad for Leslie Jones.

Wow.... Keaton's return has been the most awkward thing. So strange that there are two complete movies in the can with his Batman in them, and one has a cloud of controversy attached while another one is apparently just being locked in the vault.

Oof.

I'm literally shaking my head at this entire debacle, lol.

As long as Reeves' can still do his thing and not have his vision tampered with, then I'm good.

The most awkward Batsy ever gets to go out in the most awkward way imaginable. Fitting. Keaton’s probably sitting in a hot tub right now doing his classic head movements, sipping on some wine “f’n amateurs...unreal..” *eyebrows shift as he takes another sippie*

In another city Simmons is screaming at his wife.

Corporate control of these properties is really depressing, as a whole. Just levels upon levels of dumb decision-making, too many cooks in the kitchen, blindly chasing trends, people failing upwards...you name it. I look forward to the day in the near-ish future when it's all public domain and anyone can make and commercially release their own Batman movie. Let's get nuts!

It's insane how badly the DCEU was formed. Once TDKR came out, it's like they panicked and tried to catch up to the MCU over night. Even when you set aside Snyders very divisive take on the characters, who the heck would greenlight a Batman v Superman movie after you literally just started a cinematic universe with a new Superman? None of it made sense from the inception and they've been tripping over themselves ever since. It's sad too because Keatons return should feel like an event, and now it's twice he's been screwed. And poor Leslie Grace! She was so excited for the world to see Bat Girl and now it's not happening. it's just all around super unfortunate, and quite simply, a terrible mess.

Keaton deserved better, especially with the legacy he left behind. Same for Grace.

I feel it more for Grace than anyone else. She seemed legit very excited to be doing Batgirl and very grateful for it too.

I feel it more for Grace than anyone else. She seemed legit very excited to be doing Batgirl and very grateful for it too.
She always posted photos on instagram related to bat girl. From a statue she got, or just comics and stuff like that. she was a big fan, and it's a shame that she doesn't even get the honor of having the world see what she did with the character,

I can understand that the push for more streaming content was part of the old regime's thing and this new regime is going in a different direction where the movie finds itself in a no man's land. But it does seem a bit needlessly callous to just shelve a completed movie for a freakin' tax write-off. Yeah maybe you save a few bucks, but it just doesn't send the best message to other filmmakers that this is a studio you can trust to responsibly stand behind your hard work and uphold their end of the bargain. It's a really weird thing.

Edit: After reading about it a bit more, it does sound like the movie was a potential disaster. So, eh. I guess I can't really blame them if that was the case, not wanting to suffer the consequences of the incompetency of the previous leadership. Once again, just a shame Keaton's Batman has been dragged through this ugly process.

Last edited:
The problem wasn’t pushing steaming content. The problem was WB putting tent pole movies, their entire 2020 and 21 catalogue on HBO max. Leaving them with enormous debt because the revenue from steaming won’t cover their massive blockbuster budgets. What an idiotic idea that was.

Apparently they still want her to be Batgirl in a future movie. Just not this one.

I can understand that the push for more streaming content was part of the old regime's thing and this new regime is going in a different direction where the movie finds itself in a no man's land. But it does seem a bit needlessly callous to just shelve a completed movie for a freakin' tax write-off. Yeah maybe you save a few bucks, but it just doesn't send the best message to other filmmakers that this is a studio you can trust to responsibly stand behind your hard work and uphold their end of the bargain. It's a really weird thing.

Edit: After reading about it a bit more, it does sound like the movie was a potential disaster. So, eh. I guess I can't really blame them if that was the case, not wanting to suffer the consequences of the incompetency of the previous leadership. Once again, just a shame Keaton's Batman has been dragged through this ugly process.
I’ve read things about the movie and I wasn’t impressed. It all sounded like it was written over the span of 4 days. Keaton’s scenes were nothing to write home about. Quite gimmicky if you ask me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"