The Dark Knight Rises The TDKR General Discussion Thread - - - - - - - Part 156

I remember when this was one of the first fan posters for TDK I saw shortly after Batman Begins came out. back before any casting or knowing that the Joker wouldn't be perma-white. I actually did think we'd get something closer to The Man Who Laughs. This was such a simple manip, but it had gotten me excited for what was to come.

release-date-july-18-2008-movie-title-the-dark-knight-studio-dc-comics-F6M2PP.jpg

I'm really glad Nolan's Joker did not look like that. My fear in the lead-up to TDK was that Nolan would remove the humor and color from the character to fit his serious, "realistic" vision. That dissipated as we saw more and more of what Ledger was doing but I was still pleasantly surprised when I finally saw the film at how funny he was.

Once for Begins, thrice for TDK and twice for TDKR.

Same. With few exceptions I've never been the type to see movies multiple times in theaters. I don't really even do that very often at home either unless it's in a group setting. There's just too much new stuff to see.

Same. With few exceptions I've never been the type to see movies multiple times in theaters. I don't really even do that very often at home either unless it's in a group setting. There's just too much new stuff to see.
I used to be all about it but post-pandemic I never see a movie more than once in theaters anymore. I would have probably done it with No Way Home if not for the Omicron variant. But even pandemic aside, it's basically pointless to me to see a movie more than once in theaters these days given the quick turnaround time to streaming/home media release. I remember there being a five month wait between the theatrical and DVD release for TDK, same for Rises. Now that wait time has been essentially cut in half. Back in those days I was more about seeing movies I liked multiple times in theaters because it would be a little while before seeing it again.

Same. I can’t even think of the next movie I want to see in theaters, nevermind seeing something more than once. There are plenty of movies i’m looking forward to but in theaters? Most of them hit streaming right away or soon after.

If I like a movie I’ll definitely watch it again within that year. Only watching a movie once is like only listening to a good song once and then moving on. I don’t get that.

Same. I can’t even think of the next movie I want to see in theaters, nevermind seeing something more than once. There are plenty of movies i’m looking forward to but in theaters? Most of them hit streaming right away or soon after.

If I like a movie I’ll definitely watch it again within that year. Only watching a movie once is like only listening to a good song once and then moving on. I don’t get that.
Pretty much. I would have seen Bullet Train if it got stellar reviews but as it is I'm content waiting until it's on demand. The only film I've seen this year that I regret not seeing in theaters is Everything, Everywhere All At Once.

Bodies Bodies Bodies
Funny Pages
Don't Worry, Darling
Smile
Pearl
Halloween Ends
The Banshees of Inisherin
The Menu
Bones & All

...plenty of solid to great films still coming to theaters this fall/winter.

I was glad I got to check out Nope in IMAX. Well worth it for the cinematography alone. May try to go for one more spin with Top Gun Maverick if I can catch in IMAX on this upcoming re-release. I've got a lot to catch up on at home though. Still need to see Everything Everywhere All At Once and RRR, to just scratch the surface.

To be honest though, my main reason for loving going to theaters these days, is it forces me to just sit down and finish a movie. It feels more like an appointment. I'd rather watch a movie in one sitting vs. in chunks, which is always what happens when I try to watch them at home unless my wife and I really make it a point to set aside time on a Friday night or something. Distractions easily come up though. Going out is just a nice excuse to put the phone away and escape, plus the social factor if you go with a friend or group. There's also a dine-in theater near me with pretty good food and a decent drink selection. Between options like that, reserved seating, subscription model and great technical presentation options like Dolby, I definitely think the theatrical experience has improved overall. Though I have to agree that there aren't a ton of movies that I feel like are a must-see in the theater these days. I hope that trend changes.

Zimmer’s post doesn’t make sense lol. How could it be a childhood dream if it only dawned on him 15 years ago :funny:

Hans has been on a bonkers run starting from inception through to Dune. Before that he had a reputation of coasting on his laurels.

Hans has been on a bonkers run starting from inception through to Dune. Before that he had a reputation of coasting on his laurels.
There’s been quite a few scores in between where he was coasting. 12 Years A Slave for example.

This guy is so cool.

Bale's the man in my book. I still feel like he's one of the most unpretentious and real actors in the biz. Takes his job seriously but not himself. Keeps a low profile, stays out of the tabloids, off social media. You can kind of easily forget he exists between his movie projects. Despite the intensity he's known for I feel like he'd be very approachable and a good hang.

Last edited:
Bale's the man in my book. I still feel like he's one of the most unpretentious and real actors in the biz. Takes his job seriously but not himself. Keeps a low profile, stays out of the tabloids, off social media. You can kind of easily forget he exists between his movie projects. Despite the intensity he's known for I feel like he'd be very approachable and a good hang.
That's the best kind of person in this type of business honestly. People seem to think Bale is overly serious due to the way he taps into his roles but it's really the opposite. He seems like such a cool dude to hang around.

I really think Rises feels more like far removed fourth film, in the Nolan Batman saga.

Like, there should've been a third Nolan film released in 2012 different than Rises, taking place not long after Dark Knight, and Rises should've come out in say...2020.

As much as I love this series, sometimes it feels like there's a missing piece between those two films.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MartyMcFly1985
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"