The Xbox One - Part 3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Honestly, if you're just looking for sports games, I'd wait for both consoles' prices to go down & to see if either one has a Red Ring of Death type problem. Get the sports games on your 360, there probably won't be much of a difference on X1 or PS4.

Just reading you alls comments and others I can't pay an extra for Kinect. I'll just wait until ps4 is available

You should also check out an article like this that compares the two consoles and get more informed before you purchase one.

Just reading you alls comments and others I can't pay an extra for Kinect. I'll just wait until ps4 is available

did you already preorder the X1?

hopefully you can use your preorder money towards the PS4.

The PS4 does release one week earlier than X1.

honestly, I'd wait a bit and see which system has exclusive games you think you'd be interested in.

if you're not interested in Kinect or motion control gaming, I agree that the PS4 might be the better option since it's $100 cheaper.

However, there's always the possibility that they will release a cheaper, Kinect-less bundle for X1 in the future.

plus, there might be some X1 exclusive games, like Halo, released later.

Having played 20 minutes of Titanfall, I could not be more excited about the Xbox One.

Ah damn, I queued for ages for that at Eurogamer but the queue was so long they told people they were unlikely to get to play it as there was only an hour left and the queue was still more than an hour long. Did get to watch others playing it for a long time though. If this is playable on shop floors when the console is out it will convince many casuals to get the new XBox.

did you already preorder the X1?

hopefully you can use your preorder money towards the PS4.

The PS4 does release one week earlier than X1.

honestly, I'd wait a bit and see which system has exclusive games you think you'd be interested in.

if you're not interested in Kinect or motion control gaming, I agree that the PS4 might be the better option since it's $100 cheaper.

However, there's always the possibility that they will release a cheaper, Kinect-less bundle for X1 in the future.

plus, there might be some X1 exclusive games, like Halo, released later.
A Kinect-less Xbox One bundle is never going to happen. It's too integral for Microsoft's plans for the Xbox. Not that I'm saying it's a bad thing, when it comes to non-gaming uses, Kinect doesn't deserve the hate it gets. But people shouldn't be holding their breath for a Kinect-less bundle.

A Kinect-less Xbox One bundle is never going to happen. It's too integral for Microsoft's plans for the Xbox. Not that I'm saying it's a bad thing, when it comes to non-gaming uses, Kinect doesn't deserve the hate it gets. But people shouldn't be holding their breath for a Kinect-less bundle.

well........you never know.........

I know I'm not touching the X1 as long as it has Kinect bundled with it.

It doesn't even have to be plugged in anymore, it's not that integral.

Or you could just buy an X1 and not use it? They're including it so developers actually have a reason to support it and for every player to have a chance to use it. But it's not required other than being in the box.

It doesn't even have to be plugged in anymore, it's not that integral.
They're taking away the mandatory plug in, but they're still hoping that even without it being mandatory, you'll hook it up since you have it anyways.

Go hands-on with Xbox One in Europe starting October 25 [Update]

(8 hours ago)

Microsoft will kick off its "The One Tour" on October 25, bringing the Xbox One to London and Manchester, England. The tour offers players a chance to attend one of many five-hour sessions with a friend in order to play the Xbox One ahead of its November 22 launch. Londoners will have a chance to play the console from October 25 through November 3 before it's available in Manchester from November 18 through November 27.

Among the games Microsoft will have on hand for the event are Forza 5, Dead Rising 3, Ryse: Son of Rome, Killer Instinct, Battlefield 4 and FIFA 14, though the available titles are subject to change. Those looking to get hands-on time with the Xbox One during the event will need to register on the official tour site, as tickets are given out on a first-come, first-serve basis.

Players in Italy, France, and Spain aren't out of luck, as Microsoft will have the Xbox One on hand at its respective booths for Milan Games Week (October 25 – 27), Paris Games Week (October 30 – November 3) and Madrid Games Week (November 7 – 10).

Update: As it turns out, players in France have had time with the Xbox One, as Microsoft's Paris tour is still happening through Sunday. Continue Reading

source:Joystiq

Or you could just buy an X1 and not use it? They're including it so developers actually have a reason to support it and for every player to have a chance to use it. But it's not required other than being in the box.

if it's not required, then it should be optional and I shouldn't have to pay a $100 premium for it.

if I want it, fine, I'll pay for the bundle or buy it later. but if I don't want it, and I know that upfront, I should have the choice, the option, to buy the X1 without Kinect.

A Kinect-less bundle would probably sell very well. And the extra $100 can be used towards games, accessories, Live Gold, etc.

at the very least, offering 2 bundles would allow MS to gauge just how interested people are in Kinect.

They're taking away the mandatory plug in, but they're still hoping that even without it being mandatory, you'll hook it up since you have it anyways.
I'm sure it'll be just like the 360, where the entire OS is designed around that piece of **** Kinect. One thing I seriously hate about the 360, is that I don't have Kinect, but all the apps like Netflix, HBO GO, youtube, etc are all designed in a way that benefits the Kinect users, and completely slows down controller users. Having to scroll for titles, or search for something alphabetically is the biggest chore in the world. Ugh, I hate the OS on the 360. I prefer my PS3 to it. Hell, I prefer my Wii to it, too.

Stupid Kinect. [/rant]

I honestly have no idea what you're talking about. Aesthetically, sure, the 360 windows is appealing to Kinect usage but how is ANY of it now slower than it was before, as a result of Kinect? It's got the 'press y' to search functionality that is basically EXACTLY the same as PS3? Not to mention the fact that I don't have to wait 30 seconds to load up the marketplace.

I honestly have no idea what you're talking about. Aesthetically, sure, the 360 windows is appealing to Kinect usage but how is ANY of it now slower than it was before, as a result of Kinect? It's got the 'press y' to search functionality that is basically EXACTLY the same as PS3? Not to mention the fact that I don't have to wait 30 seconds to load up the marketplace.
Seriously? "Basically the same as PS3" is kinda laughable. Sure, it can do the same things, but that doesn't mean that its interface is the same. Hell, go look at the Netflix PS3 version compared to the 360. HUGE difference! And the same interface for the 360 version is used for most of its video apps. Example: If I have to search for a title in the menu, with the PS3, I can hit a button, and it'll bring up a full keyboard function. If I do the same for 360, it'll bring up a scroll feature where I have to go from A to Z. And if I messed up, I have to erase a button, by going ALL THE ****IN WAY back to the Z portion of the screen, and THEN back to the button I was originally wanting to hit. Christ, it's horrible.

Sure, it can do the same things that PS3 can, but its by no means the same kind of interface. It's all tailored around the Kinect. And I game solely on my 360, but I don't mess with its video apps beside HBO GO, cause it's not on PS3. If it was, I wouldn't use it on the 360, cause the 360 OS is HORRIBLE for video apps.

Well Netflix comparison is redundant to me, we don't have it in Australia.

And my point remains the same. With Xbox, it takes 10 seconds to get to ANY feature. On PS3, there are horrible loading times to load up the store as a separate thing... The reality is, it probably amounts to the same amount of time. Also, I find search more reliable on XBL. The number of times PS3 has given me a bunch of weird, out of order search results... It doesn't matter what time saving mechanic is in place with typing it, if it's still not clear enough when getting the results, it doesn't matter.

I do like the PS3's keyboard and word memory system but I wouldn't say it's overall store layout is in anyway superior to Xbox. In fact, I think the whole dashboard, marketplace, party, friends screen layout is the strongest thing the 360 has going for it. Playstation obviously agree since they've overhauled their own interface for the PS4.

Welllllll.......that's not what I was originally talking about, completely.

How so? You were talking about the poor layout of the 360 and blaming said layout on the Kinect? I disagreed and thought the layout worked perfectly well without Kinect.

The Xbone dashboard functionality is one of the things I'm most interested in exploring. With every hands on demo I've had of the Xbone, the MS reps have been very cagey and particular about not letting any press actually go to dashboard. It does make me a little anxious :S

Last edited:
It is tailored towards Kinect, which shouldn't be denied. And yes, it's much slower in comparison to other OSs, because of the obvious omission of the non-Kinect layout. The weird thing is, you only complain about the PSN store, which is slow, I admit. But other than that, the OS on PS3 itself is MUCH better, again, what my original rant was about. I like how I can be doing something on PS3, decide to switch, hit the home key, and it'll cancel it out and go to it automatically. With the 360, you have to go to the home screen, wait for it to load, go to what you want(which is a chore), wait for it to load, then final be able to play it. You save about a good 1:30-1:45 per overall change on PS3.

As far as what I originally said about controller users vs Kinect user. Yes, it is MUCH slower for controller user for many different reasons. Saying things on demand, or just pointing to them, as apposed to going throw about 2-3 menus is longer. It just sounds like you have Kinect and like it. I've used it, and liked it, but it only works for its menus. Other than that, Kinect is horrible.

Last edited:
I have a Kinect but don't use it. I totally resent you attempting to pass off my opinion as though I'm being biased based on preference. I own and use all consoles and I like and dislike various things about all of them. I've quite simply found the layout and functionality of 360 more effective. I've also heard that argument "It used to be faster" so many times and it's mostly BS. People forget how much slower the old system actually was. If you go on YouTube and look up OS comparisons, you see how much faster XB Dashboard is compared to how it's been in previous updates.

Also, I think you're sugar coating how responsive the PS3 OS is. I don't know about you, but the number of times I've hit the home key and met with the little red 'no entry' symbol. Or wanted to check trophies and had to wait 2 minutes for the data to 'sync'. Or had to take 5 minutes of clicking on store, waiting for it to load, scrolling through all the menus just to check a download progress. I haven't even mentioned how long game updates are either for the PS3.

PS3's homescreen has ALWAYS had problems and like I said, the fact that PS4 has changed and improved on every single aspect proves that. I don't see how that's a bad thing, though? Isn't it good that Sony have listened, taken feedback and improved upon something?

I agree, those little brief load times on XBL can be annoying but they're not huge and I don't see how they are any faster with Kinect or slower with a controller? Saying "Xbox... Search.... Bla bla" ends up taking roughly the same time as just entering search and typing. It's really not a huge difference.

And, as I said, MS haven't been completely open about showing off their dashboard yet whereas Sony has with the PS4, so at the moment Sony is looking pretty good with their interface. It'd be nice if BOTH consoles managed to improve on all their shortcomings.

Whether you use Kinect or not, the Netflix app is sluggish and poorly designed. The PS3 Netflix app is a much better experience.

I'm looking forward to not using a controller to navigate menus. "XBox On" "Netflix" "Breaking Bad"..do you even need a controller to start watching? :woot:

Whether you use Kinect or not, the Netflix app is sluggish and poorly designed. The PS3 Netflix app is a much better experience.
I only just started using Netflix on 360. Do you mean the initial load time to launch the app (which does seem a bit slow) or slowness during search?

I only just started using Netflix on 360. Do you mean the initial load time to launch the app (which does seem a bit slow) or slowness during search?

Just using it. Scrolling through the lists can be really sluggish on the 360.

Not to mention that in order to get an episode list for a show, you have to start an episode. That was a really bad change they made when they updated the 360 app and they never fixed it.

Last edited:
I am getting the X1 simply because I prefer the controller and Xbox Live service over the playstation's. I also have waay more friends on XBL than I do PSN. I am a big online gamer so with XBL confirmed as having dedicated servers is a big selling point for me, while Sony has been silent about it. Lastly, the X1 launch line up is a bit stronger than than the ps4's not a fan of Killzone or Knack, but the X1's Dead Rising 3, Killer Instinct, Forza, and maybe Ryse all look great. Plus muliplat games like Watchdogs, Battlefield 4, and COD Ghost, and Madden.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"