The Xbox One - Part 3

Status
Not open for further replies.
I really want a local multiplayer game around launch for when I have family over. And there aren't as many Kinect focused games as I'd hoped. Fighter Within fills both needs but Kinect Sport Rivals will probably be better (when it's released). So I'm probably going Fighter Within or Forza 5 if it has split screen Kinect support. And Killer Instinct since it's only $20.

Also not sure how Games with Gold would work next-gen since the library will be so small to start.

Also not sure how Games with Gold would work next-gen since the library will be so small to start.

Plus is launching with games for the PS4 so if MS were to bring GwG to the X1, there's already a precedent out there

MS has already said there won't be any indie titles til next year so I don't think they have much to offer for free off the bat.

I don't really care as I will already own all the old games they put out by the time they put them out but it would be a good place for someone new to start on 360, especially as they get to keep the games for good without having to continue paying for Live.

MS has already said there won't be any indie titles til next year so I don't think they have much to offer four free off the bat.

Until the recent delay, the first title announced was Driveclub and that's not an indie title. Sony wasn't only set to put indies on Plus this fall.

But that's what most of them will be, maybe entirely now with the delay. GwG or PS+ as it is now is a great way for late adopters to catch up on older AAA games. But with a new generation it will be a great way to get exposure for indie titles. I'm not expecting more than that for a few years.

A few years? Maybe GwG but not Plus. Unlike GwG, they put up recent games on there and not stuff from 5+ years ago. We'll probably see more launch titles available by summer. I suspect Knack for example to be the first retail game after Drive Club to be put up.

I really want a local multiplayer game around launch for when I have family over. And there aren't as many Kinect focused games as I'd hoped. Fighter Within fills both needs but Kinect Sport Rivals will probably be better (when it's released). So I'm probably going Fighter Within or Forza 5 if it has split screen Kinect support. And Killer Instinct since it's only $20.

You're probably looking in the wrong place if you have any interest in local multiplayer. Nintendo is pretty much the only company left that puts that kind of stuff out with any real consistency. It might as well be dead everywhere else.

I'm going to be the only one playing my X1 99% of the time. But it would be nice to have a few games for family gatherings or get togethers. I think the Kinect "shovelware" as people here like to call it, is perfect for those situations. Games like Kinect Sports Rivals, Fighter Within and dance games should be pretty fun when played socially and locally. Will they be classified as great games? Probably not. But no doubt fun when played with others right next to you.

• Gaming Headset Woes Continue As Microsoft Won't Be Shipping Adapter Until 2014

News
    on Oct 18, 2013 at 01:02 PM
    xboxone-icon.png

If you want to use a gaming headset with Xbox One this year, you are likely out of luck.
    ... More
source: GI

Nice to see them stepping up their game. Even as an XBOX fanboy i've always liked Playstations commercials better.

I liked the ads for the Original Xbox and the early 360 ones but yeah PlayStation has been the best advertiser since 95. Although the early PS3 ads were kinda weird and not as good as the early 360 ones IMO. I like the ad but I also feel like it could of been better....

Love that ad!

I liked the ads for the Original Xbox and the early 360 ones but yeah PlayStation has been the best advertiser since 95. Although the early PS3 ads were kinda weird and not as good as the early 360 ones IMO. I like the ad but I also feel like it could of been better....

Weird? Creepy is a better way to describe it. Remember that insane baby doll ad? Japan makes questionable content.

Anyone know how long the wait will be to get a system? Since they are not taking any payments for opening day.

If you don't have a pre-order, I would say you probably won't be able to get one until about Christmas at the earliest. It seems like both MS and Sony are shipping a lot of units, so I think that's a fair guess.

Xbox One OS and Xbox Live issues bouncing about as we approach launch

EDIT: I wrote this entire thing on GAF but never got the go ahead from the mods to post it so I moved it over here. There are formatting (as in HTML/ETC) errors because of that . The guys’ I talked to also made errors… we talked through means which require shortening of words. I will own my mistakes… but don’t hold it against the people quoted that are incorrect – it’s how we talked. I could fix it now but I feel like editing this would be dishonest so I’m keeping it as is and just leaving this up here.

Ok, first off: the origin of the rumor. I was contacted by someone claiming to be a dev. He told me a bunch of info. I had no idea if it was true or not. I know a lot of people really hate me currently so I was very wary that I was being trolled by a well-informed person. I was looking for other sources for hours. Nothing. And then I got partial verification from another dev (not that he/she disagreed with part, but only knew part and said it was 100% correct) and then at once I got verification by two people who have never wronged me. So this isn’t flimsy but I’m still filing it under rumor because, well, it is. But it isn’t.

I’m putting it all out on the line here. I enjoy breaking leaks but if this is wrong I’m ****ed. I know this. This is how much I trust the people who have verified (and I hope for a CBoaT appearance).

The short story is that Xbox Live and the OS, especially in functions that involve XBL, are a complete ****ing mess. One source says we aren’t talking weeks until it works correctly but “months.” Things like parties dropping people when moving from one thing to another. Connectivity issues. Missed invites. Friend requests not working, etc.

He then said “If all you are doing is running a game and that’s the only app things are fine.”

So why do think things are going wrong?

“The system OS and network integration was written by a group of people who do not play games. They don’t understand why things were set up in the ways they were designed by J Allard back in ’05.”

So… what changed?

“Let me get into some technical detail regarding it – on 360, the OS handles all of the party and chat functionality. All you do is hook up the XBL VOiP OS API into your game, and it does most of the work for you. With it results in is a shared experience across multiple entertainment. If you’re watching movies or playing games, you can do it together. However, this system is entirely different on Xbox One. So, lets say me, you, and Thuway have xbox one’s that are online. We are signed in our profiles. Sitting at the home screen, we are considered to be in a “Xbox Party” on the server. There are no more ‘party leaders’. With that said if any one of us decide to start a game, the party is shifted over to that game’s party system. Each game now has their custom written VOIP.” (Pete note: shoutout to thuway!)

“In essence, it is almost EXACTLY how it was on the PS3, and it is in those API “handshakes” that is breaking the online experience.”

I asked if could be fixed soon. He said that anything is possible and Microsoft is obviously working on it but he thinks it will be months, not weeks. Getting online launch games certified is taking so long that it’s pushing games after launch back.

Talking to a different developer he says: “Yeah, getting anything online to work was a pain for months, barely worked at the very end of last month. Adding friends, sending game invites or even achievements’ toasts could be a nightmare. I don’t know that much outside of “my” project, but from what I saw in others, online was always a problem. No idea if this will still be an issue at launch though, I think it would be too much, but it looks like it won’t be flawless at all.”

As of now the Xbox One OS and XBL (the name for the XBL side of Azure is “Thunderhead”) are having major issues. Maybe it will be fixed in time, maybe it won’t. The obvious question to me was does this have to do with Microsoft reversing the DRM and having to strip it out (Pete note: That would partially make it my fault and I wouldn’t like that at all)?

“This was happening either way. This was built into the OS long ago. The DRM-removal clogged their pipelines somewhat, but this blockage was always there. It’s just simply a way they setup the VOIP API and how it would be handled. It was an oversight, not just voip, all of parties and network connectivity really.”

Ok, anything else?

“By the way, do not be surprised at the reaction you get from MS over this.”

Yeah, I know.

Source

Weird? Creepy is a better way to describe it. Remember that insane baby doll ad? Japan makes questionable content.

Yeah I was directly thinking of that ad. Creepy indeed!

Getting tired of xbox live and all of their security questions. Just let me play my game.

very disappointed by the news today that the PS4 won't play audio cds or even mp3 files.

do we know if the X1 can play audio cds and mp3 files?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"