The Xbox One - Part 5

Status
Not open for further replies.
I normally go to Best Buy, Target or Wal Mart. Wherever I'm closest to.

Wal Mart I can't do as the customer service there is on a whole nother level of bad. Target might be my go to as it's in the same shopping center as GS, so it's no further for me and they tend to offer $5 gift cards for preordering a game.

Eventually I'm gonna stop going to all of these places. Gotta upgrade my PS4 HDD and get a big external for my One then it will be digital only from that point on. GS knows that's the future too.. My friend runs one of the stores and he said at the last big meeting they were told that the company is going to be switching focus from games to used cellphones and tablets because the digital future won't be good for them.

Eventually I'm gonna stop going to all of these places. Gotta upgrade my PS4 HDD and get a big external for my One then it will be digital only from that point on. GS knows that's the future too.. My friend runs one of the stores and he said at the last big meeting they were told that the company is going to be switching focus from games to used cellphones and tablets because the digital future won't be good for them.

Yea I'll be doing the same, so it's kinda moot. But for the few physical games I buy I'm not sure who I'll use.

Yea they're shutting down 200 stores and opening up some mobile/tablet focused stores. Dumb move IMO

Yeah. King can't stay on top forever. I worked for GS twice.. Once in the golden age when EB and GS were separate and they cared about doing good business and each one would try to up the others trade value.. And again when they legit didn't care and it was simply and numbers/metrics game. When GS bought out EB games that was the beginning if their downfall.

Yeah, but the thing is, if you're done with the game, you can't go around and resell it. That's why brick and mortar stores will still be needed for at least another 5-10 years. I don't see this generation completely going away with physical media. Sure, there will be more of an increase in digital, and it will be the future, but there is still time for physical. And I imagine this generation of console will be around for a good 8-10 years.

Are you a gamers club unlocked member at BB? That truly is the best deal. 20% off all new titles plus $10 preorder incentives on select titles makes it that much sweeter

No, but that sounds amazing. Ill look into that.

Oh jeez man, um, I think the system itself was like 80? Then we had 2 games, each worth about 20 apiece. Yea that seems about right, so around 80 bux for the slim model PS3 is what we got.
That doesn't sound too bad to me. :up:

Why do people do that?

Sell it yourself. Keep it. Give it to charity. Just don't give it to gamestop. Total rip off.
If keeping it was one of the options we wouldn't be here now would we? :woot:

I didn't use gamestop myself, a local trade in shop. I probably saved myself 6 hours work finding every last lead and game and getting everything in the right cases for 6 consoles that haven't been touched for years. This way I could just dump them in cardboard boxes and let them sort it out.

Plus as it's my local place I have a bit of a relationship with the people who work there and own it. I like giving them stuff as either I get a good deal or they do which means I'm supporting them. When it comes to selling my 360 collection I could use ebay which would mean 300 trips to the post office, taking a ridiculous hit by putting them in one big lot or just picking a couple of games up every time I go to the shop. Saving on postage both ways also eats into the loss of using a middleman rather than going direct to your buyer.

It is very hard to do especially as this stuff is worth so little now. Some of these place don't take PS1, PS2, SNES at all and only offer a small amount for Dreamcast. Sightly better for wii and better again for PS3 but crazy to see how things that cost so much at launch become worthless so fast.

If you have any more SNES stuff, let me know, I'll pay you.

If you have any more SNES stuff, let me know, I'll pay you.
:csad: Sorry all gone now. I would have given it to you or any other regulars and was thinking of making a thread here to give away stuff, but I needed everything out within a weekend (plus postage overseas would make it pointless for most of that stuff). I only had a few SNES games though anyway, didn't really start spending big on games till PS1.

Just curious, but what SNES games did you have?

I've found that Best Buy usually offers the best trade in values for newer games, so when I see those, I take advantage. not to mention the occasional 50% or 100% trade in bonus.

however, I found it was too much of a hassle to preorder stuff there, and I've had a few not so good experiences in the past.

So, I still do most of my preordering at Gamestop. And I don't believe I've ever had an issue with them.

Also, I don't know if all Best Buys do this, but at my store, the next gen games are locked in a cage, and you have to see a sales associate to get them. That's another huge inconvenience.

Just curious, but what SNES games did you have?
I'd already given away some years ago so the only ones I had left were my favourites - Street Fighter II (with about a billion hours of playtime), Super Mario World & Starwing (StarFox). Had got rid of stuff like Mario Kart, SSW & some not-so-good games earlier. But even at the peak I probably had less than 10 games. (not my money back then :woot:)

I'd already given away some years ago so the only ones I had left were my favourites - Street Fighter II (with about a billion hours of playtime), Super Mario World & Starwing (StarFox). Had got rid of stuff like Mario Kart, SSW & some not-so-good games earlier. But even at the peak I probably had less than 10 games. (not my money back then :woot:)

Ok, those are all pretty common games. I was just seeing if you had something a bit more rare, like a Demon's Quest or Earthbound.

I've found that Best Buy usually offers the best trade in values for newer games, so when I see those, I take advantage. not to mention the occasional 50% or 100% trade in bonus.

however, I found it was too much of a hassle to preorder stuff there, and I've had a few not so good experiences in the past.

So, I still do most of my preordering at Gamestop. And I don't believe I've ever had an issue with them.

Also, I don't know if all Best Buys do this, but at my store, the next gen games are locked in a cage, and you have to see a sales associate to get them. That's another huge inconvenience.

Yea iv found the same and at places like Walmart and target, the employees couldn't have less of a desire to help you

Ok, those are all pretty common games. I was just seeing if you had something a bit more rare, like a Demon's Quest or Earthbound.
Oh right, no a very budget limited 12 year old. :woot: At least there were hundreds of Amiga games for next to nothing but couldn't afford to really buy console games till PS1.

Yea MS could deff use more exclusive titles(altho I really don't care, I own both platforms so exclusives mean less than nothing to me), I don't think they can rely on Halo and Gears the way they used to. As mentioned before, I think MS should try to acquire more studios going forward. Crytek could be a good start

How is it a hassle? All you do is take the card from the gaming section up to the register and pay the min $5. If that is too much work, you can go to their website and preorder for shipping or in store pick up. Again, rather easy

The cage thing varies by store as Ive seen it like that at some and others keep it on the floor. Its not much different than other retailers like Walmart or Target that you need an associate to unlock. GS keeps all their games behind the desk or in the back as well.

I personally just detest a best buy.. Or as many call it, Amazon's show room. I seriously dont know how they're still in business.

I personally just detest a best buy.. Or as many call it, Amazon's show room. I seriously dont know how they're still in business.

They've had some of the best store policies and reward systems. It was actually too good to be true which is why they revamped it last year

How is it a hassle? All you do is take the card from the gaming section up to the register and pay the min $5. If that is too much work, you can go to their website and preorder for shipping or in store pick up. Again, rather easy

The cage thing varies by store as Ive seen it like that at some and others keep it on the floor. Its not much different than other retailers like Walmart or Target that you need an associate to unlock. GS keeps all their games behind the desk or in the back as well.

Ok. well this is what happened when I went to preorder Street Fighter x Tekken.

At that time, they had dedicated "gaming stations" where you could go to preorder and trade in games.

I wanted to trade in some games, then preorder the Limited Edition of SF x Tekken. The guy at the gaming station couldn't find it in the system. So he told me to go to the customer service desk and order the game there.

So I went to customer service. The lady there, while friendly, wasn't that knowledgeable about games. It took her awhile to find the game in the system. Then, to order the game that way, I couldn't just preorder it by putting $5 down. I had to pay the full price.

So, I used my trade in gift card and paid off most of the game. I had about $5 left. But I couldn't just give them $5 in cash to pay the rest off. No, the system would only accept it if it were a gift card.

So, I had to leave customer service, go get a gift card, wait in line at the regular checkout to buy a $5 gift card. Then wait back in line at customer service, start the whole process over again, then finally pay off and order the game.

The whole process shouldn't have taken more than 5 or 10 minutes. It ended up taking about 30-40 minutes.

Fast forward 3-4 months later when the game came out. I went to pick it up, and they gave me the Standard Edition. I told them I ordered the Limited Edition. They didn't have any Limited Editions on hand. So, I just cancelled the whole thing and got my money back in the form of a gift card.

After that experience, I swore off preordering games from BB again. lol.

and just recently, I went to trade in some games at BB. But when they were ready to apply the money to the gift card, the system was "down." So, I had to come back later in the day to do it.

again. hassle and inconvenience.

if BB didn't offer such great trade in values, I probably wouldn't even go there.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yea iv found the same and at places like Walmart and target, the employees couldn't have less of a desire to help you

and that's why I like Gamestop. because they focus just on games. they know what they're talking about. and the people at my Gamestop have always been friendly and helpful to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
osayi
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"