TMOS Reviews Thread - Non Spoiler Review and Discussion - Part 5

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not true. The DCU doesn't stand on the merits of MOS alone that's why [BLACKOUT]the only connection there is to other DC characters is a 2 second Easter Egg[/BLACKOUT]

I thought I read a few articles where WB explained the future of the DCmU rests on MoS.

As usual, Slant has their pretentious, overly-analytical review up. Naturally, it's a negative one.

DC can't afford to drop their attempts at launching a universe for the second time in three years.

You would if it had Porche logo on it. This is a Superman movie. Of course it's understandable for people to compare it to other Superman movies. They don't have to, but it makes sense to.

What even when that movie is 38 years old?

That's because no-one knows about Porche being the Bugs father - nor do they care. Maybe the point is it's not about doing things differently, it's about doing them well.
Yes, but the point is that these reviews that bring up the Donnerverse are not about what the film does well, but rather how its tone and such compares to those old films. It's a little ridiculous.

I thought I read a few articles where WB explained the future of the DCmU rests on MoS.

They've said that about every superhero movie since Batman & Robin. Doesn't mean anything.

So?

Was Nolan's Batman not compared to Burton's?

When a new comics writer takes over Superman does he/she not get compared to others who came before?

How exactly is this a bad thing?

Frankly it's natural to compare previous works to the current work. It helps give perspective as to what works or doesn't work as a concept.

Frankly it's natural to compare previous works to the current work. It helps give perspective as to what works or doesn't work as a concept.

Ah, logic. I missed you.

Not true. The DCU doesn't stand on the merits of MOS alone that's why [BLACKOUT]the only connection there is to other DC characters is a 2 second Easter Egg[/BLACKOUT]

Ehhh several people in WB have said it does.

Yes, but the point is that these reviews that bring up the Donnerverse are not about what the film does well, but rather how its tone and such compares to those old films. It's a little ridiculous.

Maybe that's their preference.

That's because no-one knows about Porche being the Bugs father - nor do they care. Maybe the point is it's not about doing things differently, it's about doing them well.

Actually plenty of gear heads know that fact heck its a pretty well known historical fact in general but in these parts that may be an unknown thing.

Point still stands, critics are comparing this to the donnerverse and taking points off of it just for being different and if you've read the reviews you know that. I don't know what your issue is or even what point you are trying to make.

You should be in agreement that bias towards the donnerverse and against this film for simply being different is a stupid way to approach any film critically. You judge films on their own merits and flaws not by comparing it to a 30 years old vastly different film. Or maybe I shouldn't expect such high critical standards.

This film being overly long would be considered a flaw. It not being the Donner Superman or the plucky do no wrong superman isn't a flaw. Its a difference. And simply being different is not a flaw.

Last edited:
So?

Was Nolan's Batman not compared to Burton's?

When a new comics writer takes over Superman does he/she not get compared to others who came before?

How exactly is this a bad thing?

did i say its a bad thing?

still they should review THIS movie for what it is and not compare it with anything else.

I dont care if superman the movie had funny scenes we are not watching Superman the movie, we got a reboot and they want to make it serious.

i still love the old movie. Doesnt mean i won`t like this because it doesnt have goofy scenes in it. Some critics think otherwise.

Quick question that's largely OT (i promise) does anyone think BB would be better received today? or worse?

EDIT: If it were released this year as opposed to 05, i mean.

It feels like nobody has read my posts about the BO.

MAN OF STEEL ALREADY HAS 170 MILLION DOLLARS IN THE BANK, thx to all the marketing partners, it was said on Variety. Then, the movie is tracking btw 90 & 125 million OW in the US, the buzz is high, very high.

Overseas, buzz high as well, already showing great WOM according to locals in Taiwan.
Movie will have no trouble clearing at least 600 million WW.

If it does 100 million OW in the US, it can go as high as 320 million.

Quick question that's largely OT (i promise) does anyone think BB would be better received today? or worse?

Better, definitely, it is a masterpiece IMO (just like TDK, and even IMO, TDKR)

did i say its a bad thing?

still they should review THIS movie for what it is and not compare it with anything else.

I dont care if superman the movie had funny scenes we are not watching Superman the movie, we god a Reboot and they want to make it serious.

I haven't read any reviews that flat out dismiss this movie because of the Donnerverse. I've seen plenty that compare the good/bad of it to STM. I think people are missing that. It IS being reviewed on its own merits. And also compared to what came before. You can do both.

Actually plenty of gear heads know that fact heck its a pretty well known historical fact in general but in these parts that may be an unknown thing.

Point still stands, critics are comparing this to the donnerverse and taking points off of it just for being different and if you've read the reviews you know that. I don't know what your issue is or even what point you are trying to make.

You should be in agreement that bias towards the donnerverse and against this film for simply being different is a stupid way to approach any film critically. You judge films on their own merits and flaws not by comparing it to a 30 years old vastly different film. Or maybe I shouldn't expect such high critical standards.

This film being overly long is a flaw. It not being the Donner Superman or the plucky do no wrong superman isn't a flaw.

There taking points off because they didn't like it as much. I didn't see many critics take points off for Batman Begins because it was different to Burton's Batman. If anything they gave it points because they found Nolan's style to b better.

It's a good thing that the only opinion that matters on whether a film or TV show is good or not is my own, otherwise we might as well not even bother releasing the film if people are going to take the word on a handful of people who somehow think they are more qualified than I am on judging a film.

Don't worry about what film critics are saying about the film, worry about what the general public & comic book fans are saying, their opinions count for 50 people who write reviews for tabloids & magazines.

It feels like nobody has read my posts about the BO.

MAN OF STEEL ALREADY HAS 170 MILLION DOLLARS IN THE BAN

Pretty sure most of that went to Nolan's pocket for them using his name.

64 now. Losing confidence now that this thing can even stay fresh.

Edit: 63 :wow:

EDIT: If it were released this year as opposed to 05, i mean.

Hard to say since its a benchmark for all origin movies, hell its even influences other mediums e.g. video games.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"