Was Kurt Cobain Emo?

Don't be so emo. :oldrazz:

jag

HelenLovejoy.jpg

WONT SOMEBODY PLEASE THINK OF THE EMOS

Not another Emo Thread.

Can't we just have one thread called Emo and anyone who wants to talk about Emo can use that.

Rape Me is definitely an emo song. In fact most Nirvana songs could be considered emo.

But what seperates the grunge attitude from emo culture is that it didn't wallow in self pity. Grunge actually spits in the face of the enemy and attacks society's value system by calling them out on their bulls--t.

^ that and I'm pretty sure that Nirvana predated emo.

What's the difference between Emo and Goth? They both seem pretty similar to me.

I know the difference between Grunge and Emo. I'd have figured Emo is closer to Goth than Grunge.

Emo people just remind me of being rather androgynous. Somewhat like a Japanese Anime character what with the hair and all.

Where did the term "Emo" come in the first place?

He accidently pioneered Emo.

I don't know why I still post on these boards.. they suck..

Where did the term "Emo" come in the first place?

Where else...MTV:whatever: That is where the term Grunge came from. Grunge is basically Punk rock, but the record companies felt that Punk was no longer marketable, so they relabled it Grunge.

I don't know why I still post on these boards.. they suck..

I am starting to wonder myself.:whatever:

okay, let me clear this up, a lesson on emo...

THE NAME 'EMO'- short for emotional. which is pretty ridiculous in itself. emo kids are very emotional, but just because someone is emotional or sad doesnt make them emo. you'll also find that most of the emotions that emo kids convey are actually superficial and hollow.

THE MUSIC- this is where emo originated, in music. the content of emo music is all about the hopelessness of life, and tries to be introspective, but more often than not its superficial and hollow immature adolescent rantings. emotions are taken to extremes. these themes are consistant in all emo bands, and basically the subject of every emo song. though, just because a band performs a song with similar content doesnt make the band or song emo (since this content can be found in music from every band in the history of music). the band would only be considered emo if this is found in the vast majority of their music and the song can only be emo if its coming from an emo band. emo is often credited to being brought into the mainstream by the band dashboard confessional.

THE ATTITUDE- like everything else to do with emo, the attitude is hollow and superficial, though emo kids believe it to be real. they are often distraught and depressed over trivial bulls#!t things that everyone deals with, they merely take it to the extreme, in an attempt to appear unique, introspective, and sensitive. they literally perpetuate their own sadness, they wallow in it, then they complain about being sad. they strive to seclude themselves from others, then complain about being secluded. they'll often say things like they hate their lives, no one understands them, and come off as suicidal. they're actually far from being suicidal, they just say that for the attention. though, some will go to the extreme to cut themselves to appear they tried to commit suicide (Again for the attention), they'll also say they cut themselves because thats the only way they can feel anything anymore. emo kids usually put up a front of perpetual sadness and depression, and will flaunt the fact that they're on medication.

THE FASHION- long hair, flat ironed down to cover half of their face, dyed black (perhaps with bleached highlights), mail carrier style bag, converse, tight pants, tight shirts, neo-retro, thick black glasses, cuffed pants, argyle socks, etc....though, seeing people with a combination of these things doesnt make them emo. though, if you see someone with the majority of these things, then theres a good chance they are emo.

you're kind of ignorant on emo yourself, dude. when i started getting into indie rock back in the early 90's the first incarnation of emo was just starting to pick up steam. you had the early emo bands like rites of spring (which is considered the first emo band), who were basically a hadrcore punk band the used lyrics about personal, emotional topics, rather than songs about politics or hating authority. they were fronted by guy picciotto from fugazi, probably the most respected indie band of all time. after that other bands like sunny day real estate, braid, far, 764-hero, cursive, etc... started popping up and used hard core, post-punk and math-rock song structures with, again, personal, emotional topics that weren't forced or used for the sake of whining about something, but to express themselves, much like punk has always done. since then the term grew to become more commercialized, thanks in large part to deep elm records' successful series "the emo diaries", which exploited the sound and brought a ton of whiney wannabe bands out of the woodwork to dilute the essence that the original bands labelled "emo" set out to express. basically it turned into a household marketing term once crappy bands like dashboard confessional and my chemical romance came on the scene. typically, kids who listened to emo back during it's inception would be seen wearing horn-rimmed glasses, chuck taylors and thrift-store clothes, basically the look that's popular now with people who shop at urban outfitters or the gap. nowadays, the term emo refers to someone who listens to pre-packaged mall-pop bands that leach off the legacy of good bands who started the trend in the first place and it somehow melded with the classic goth look of wearing all black with eye-liner and dyed-black hair. it's just like any genre of music, eventually people will realize they can capitalize off it so if becomes mass-produced and watered down. i can't stand listening to people use the term "emo" while having no clue what it actually means.

you're kind of ignorant on emo yourself, dude. when i started getting into indie rock back in the early 90's the first incarnation of emo was just starting to pick up steam. you had the early emo bands like rites of spring (which is considered the first emo band), who were basically a hadrcore punk band the used lyrics about personal, emotional topics, rather than songs about politics or hating authority. they were fronted by guy picciotto from fugazi, probably the most respected indie band of all time. after that other bands like sunny day real estate, braid, far, 764-hero, cursive, etc... started popping up and used hard core, post-punk and math-rock song structures with, again, personal, emotional topics that weren't forced or used for the sake of whining about something, but to express themselves, much like punk has always done. since then the term grew to become more commercialized, thanks in large part to deep elm records' successful series "the emo diaries", which exploited the sound and brought a ton of whiney wannabe bands out of the woodwork to dilute the essence that the original bands labelled "emo" set out to express. basically it turned into a household marketing term once crappy bands like dashboard confessional and my chemical romance came on the scene. typically, kids who listened to emo back during it's inception would be seen wearing horn-rimmed glasses, chuck taylors and thrift-store clothes, basically the look that's popular now with people who shop at urban outfitters or the gap. nowadays, the term emo refers to someone who listens to pre-packaged mall-pop bands that leach off the legacy of good bands who started the trend in the first place and it somehow melded with the classic goth look of wearing all black with eye-liner and dyed-black hair. it's just like any genre of music, eventually people will realize they can capitalize off it so if becomes mass-produced and watered down. i can't stand listening to people use the term "emo" while having no clue what it actually means.

thanks for the history lesson, but i was talking about emo in more modern terms.

thanks for the history lesson, but i was talking about emo in more modern terms.

ok, but your post came off as ignorant of the history of the genre. to me, there's no difference between people who think modern bands like my chemical romance are emo and people who think green day are classic punk. they're both wrong and uninformed on the matter. the emo of today is just a commercialized, watered-down shell of what the real genre was over a decade ago.

^^probably because i wasnt talking about the history of it.

Oooh, it's like one of those old kung-fu movies where there's two competing schools fighting each other over who's fighting style is the best. Who will win, Sensei Sinewave and his Tiger Claw Emo-Fu or Master Motown Marvel and his Crane Style Emo-Fu! :eek:

jag

Oooh, it's like one of those old kung-fu movies where there's two competing schools fighting each other over who's fighting style is the best. Who will win, Sensei Sinewave and his Tiger Claw Emo-Fu or Master Motown Marvel and his Crane Style Emo-Fu! :eek:

jag

you're only fueling our rage!!! :cmad: :cmad: :cmad: :cmad:

Limp Wrists Of Fury!!!!!

jag

jag

ha, well, sinewave is totally correct in what he's saying. he's just going further back into the genre than i am. im only talking about the modern mainstream emo because thats what people think they're referencing whenever they mention 'emo' around here.

okay, let me clear this up, a lesson on emo...

THE NAME 'EMO'- short for emotional. which is pretty ridiculous in itself. emo kids are very emotional, but just because someone is emotional or sad doesnt make them emo. you'll also find that most of the emotions that emo kids convey are actually superficial and hollow.

THE MUSIC- this is where emo originated, in music. the content of emo music is all about the hopelessness of life, and tries to be introspective, but more often than not its superficial and hollow immature adolescent rantings. emotions are taken to extremes. these themes are consistant in all emo bands, and basically the subject of every emo song. though, just because a band performs a song with similar content doesnt make the band or song emo (since this content can be found in music from every band in the history of music). the band would only be considered emo if this is found in the vast majority of their music and the song can only be emo if its coming from an emo band. emo is often credited to being brought into the mainstream by the band dashboard confessional.

THE ATTITUDE- like everything else to do with emo, the attitude is hollow and superficial, though emo kids believe it to be real. they are often distraught and depressed over trivial bulls#!t things that everyone deals with, they merely take it to the extreme, in an attempt to appear unique, introspective, and sensitive. they literally perpetuate their own sadness, they wallow in it, then they complain about being sad. they strive to seclude themselves from others, then complain about being secluded. they'll often say things like they hate their lives, no one understands them, and come off as suicidal. they're actually far from being suicidal, they just say that for the attention. though, some will go to the extreme to cut themselves to appear they tried to commit suicide (Again for the attention), they'll also say they cut themselves because thats the only way they can feel anything anymore. emo kids usually put up a front of perpetual sadness and depression, and will flaunt the fact that they're on medication.

THE FASHION- long hair, flat ironed down to cover half of their face, dyed black (perhaps with bleached highlights), mail carrier style bag, converse, tight pants, tight shirts, neo-retro, thick black glasses, cuffed pants, argyle socks, etc....though, seeing people with a combination of these things doesnt make them emo. though, if you see someone with the majority of these things, then theres a good chance they are emo.

So, according to Motown, an Emo is only Emo when they're not Emo, just trying to be Emo. And according to sinewave, nobodies Emo anymore, they just want to be Emo.

So, according to Motown, an Emo is only Emo when they're not Emo, just trying to be Emo. And according to sinewave, nobodies Emo anymore, they just want to be Emo.

You actually read all that? :huh:

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"