Was Kurt Cobain Emo?

Emo or not ... the thing that pisses my the most off about kurt is that they never completed there last album .. it had songs like this on it AND WE NEVER GOT IT!
Nirvana was on top and still had greate songs to make still ...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nekdqu6dxWo
... im all Emo now :(

So, according to Motown, an Emo is only Emo when they're not Emo, just trying to be Emo. And according to sinewave, nobodies Emo anymore, they just want to be Emo.

how do you figure thats what we said?

So, according to Motown, an Emo is only Emo when they're not Emo, just trying to be Emo. And according to sinewave, nobodies Emo anymore, they just want to be Emo.

all i'm saying is that emo today is just a brand name and most people don't even know where the term came from so it's stupid to continue to use it. it's the same with grunge, punk and every over-used term for a genre or sub-genre of music. half the time the music in question doesn't even qualify for the title given to it, but people are lazy and just throw terms like that around for lack of a better one.

all i'm saying is that emo today is just a brand name and most people don't even know where the term came from so it's stupid to continue to use it. it's the same with grunge, punk and every over-used term for a genre or sub-genre of music. half the time the music in question doesn't even qualify for the title given to it, but people are lazy and just throw terms like that around for lack of a better one.

Case in point. Many people consider Elvis Costello to be Punk.:huh:

Case in point. Many people consider Elvis Costello to be Punk.:huh:

i dont think thats quite what sinewave is talking about. i think he's talking about modern music being placed in musical categories that were defined long ago, when they're in fact a pale reflection of said genre. i.e. my chemical romance being considered punk.

and considering elvis costello as punk isnt entirely unwarranted.

i dont think thats quite what sinewave is talking about. i think he's talking about modern music being placed in musical categories that were defined long ago, when they're in fact a pale reflection of said genre. i.e. my chemical romance being considered punk.

and considering elvis costello as punk isnt entirely unwarranted.

pretty much. and you're right about costello. without writing another novel-sized post on the history of punk, the term was never meant to describe snotty, drugged out brits with spikey hair and tons of piercings. it was originally used by legs mcneil and john holmstrom of punk magazine to embrace the music and pop culture that appealed to them back in the early 70's. bands like the velvet underground and the new york dolls were orginally considered "punk" while sounding nothing like what is stereotypically considered the the punk sound. costello fits in well with that group of bands.

pretty much. and you're right about costello. without writing another novel-sized post on the history of punk, the term was never meant to describe snotty, drugged out brits with spikey hair and tons of piercings. it was originally used by legs mcneil and john holmstrom of punk magazine to embrace the music and pop culture that appealed to them back in the early 70's. bands like the velvet underground and the new york dolls were orginally considered "punk" while sounding nothing like what is stereotypically considered the the punk sound. costello fits in well with that group of bands.

dont forget about the stooges, whom many consider to be the first real punk band. i think it was in an article about them that the term punk was first used in regards to describing music. obviously they were greatly inspired by the velvet underground. and the stooges were the main inspirations for the NY dolls and the ramones who went on to pretty much define what punk became.

dont forget about the stooges, whom many consider to be the first real punk band. i think it was in an article about them that the term punk was first used in regards to describing music. obviously they were greatly inspired by the velvet underground. and the stooges were the main inspirations for the NY dolls and the ramones who went on to pretty much define what punk became.

yep. you should read "please kill me" by legs mcneil. it's an oral history of the punk movement from the beginning by the musicians and scenesters of the time. there's tons of stuff about iggy and the stooges, the ny dolls, bowie, the velvets and a lot of other great bands.

^^rad, i'll have to check that book out. i've been meaning to find more books on the history of rock music and such. specifically in regards to velvet undergound and stooges.

This certainly is the oddest "WTF":huh: topic i've come across today. The man was on drugs and ultimately died because of it. So therefore all drugged out musicians are emo?

You actually read all that? :huh:

Yep. And I figured most people didn't/couldn't/wouldn't, so I posted my Cliff's Note version.

how do you figure thats what we said?

First off, sarcasm.

Second, you were essentially saying that what many people claim to be 'emo' is actually real EMOtion, and not just a show of emotion or depression, which is nothing but a plea for attention used by those who think they are 'emo' to show that they're tortured and deep.

Yes, 'Emo' is a style/genre of music, but most 'emo' bands aren't anything like the 'emo' bands that pioneered the style, they're just trying to be (or being mistaken as) 'emo'.

Kurt was too much of a badass and wrote about stuff that was too real to be lumped in with those "emo" kids. Show me the lead singer of Simple Plan shooting heroin and then maybe we can talk.

"Smells Like Teen Spirit" is too ****in' classic to be lumped anywhere near the Emo 'genre'.

Emo is SO the new Heavy Metal movement.

Second, you were essentially saying that what many people claim to be 'emo' is actually real EMOtion, and not just a show of emotion or depression, which is nothing but a plea for attention used by those who think they are 'emo' to show that they're tortured and deep.

well, thats the thing...emo is merely short for emotion, but thats not to say emo IS emotion (this is in the modern context of what emo has become), despite the fact emo kids would have you believe its real. essentially, being emo is an attempt to display an extreme emotion, most notably depression....but the fact is, more often than not its totaly superficial. so, emo is just superficial emotion. or at least, thats how i've percieved it.

well, thats the thing...emo is merely short for emotion, but thats not to say emo IS emotion (this is in the modern context of what emo has become), despite the fact emo kids would have you believe its real. essentially, being emo is an attempt to display an extreme emotion, most notably depression....but the fact is, more often than not its totaly superficial. so, emo is just superficial emotion. or at least, thats how i've percieved it.

I agree. My wiseass little saying used the word 'emo' for both 'emo' and 'emotion' in a way to poke some fun at the subject.

No, that's because metal was the best thing to happen to rock n roll and emo is a blight.

I was kidding.

I hate emo music.

And I love Metal.

I only capitalized emo because it was at the beginning of the sentence.

I do the same with the word "france."

The term "emo" itself is evidence of how stupid popular music fans are. It makes no sense.

The term "emo" itself is evidence of how stupid popular music fans are. It makes no sense.

Considering that all music is emotional expression in one form or another, not just 'emo music', I have to agree.

most modern genres are poorly named.

like, indie. what the hell is that? is that just in reference to the fact that they're on an indie label? so, once they sign to a major label they're no longer indie music? it categorizing the music based on their label status, which is ******ed. also, alternative rock. thats ******ed. because A. all that means is its not rock. B. who the hell wants an alternative to rock?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"