The Dark Knight Rises Why Batman WON'T Die in The Dark Knight Rises

I dont think WB would have a problem killing off Batman as an ending to THIS story .

Hey folks we are talking about Warner Bros here. Warner Bros is the absolute worst studio to have ownership of the DC universe. Mind you, I'm a Superman Batman DIE HARD. But Marvel has run circles around DC on the big screen simply because WB does stupid *****. Stupid ***** like Superman IV, the story line in SR where Superman has a kid out of wedlock with Lois. The travesties of the Batman films with Clooney and Val Kilmer. The laughing stock of Green Lantern.

Don't put it past WB to let Batman get killed off. They are indeed STUPID enough to let Nolan kill and iconic figure.

Then WB will turn right around and confuse the hell out of everyone by trying to start a Justice League movie of course with Batman. Instead of having Nolan to vaugely tie this story into a possible JLA movie.

Batman dying is STUPID AS HELL. The idea is stupid as hell under any circumstance. Broken back yes. Broken spirit, yes. Broken psychology, yes. But how do you kill off Batman? No, its STUPID!!!

But its WB they have an undisputed championship history of trying to destroy super heros on the big screen.

This is one of the dumbest and most closed minded posts i've ever read on here. :whatever:

This is why comic book devotees have such a bad rep.

Some of the stuff in here is downright embarrassing.

WB does stupid *****. Stupid ***** like Superman IV

The now defunct Cannon films produced Superman IV, not WB. WB only had the North American distribution rights. After Cannon tanked, WB now owns the rights to the film, but they were not responsible for it.

Not that I'm agreeing with the poster who wasted one of the best cinematic character ever's name with that post, but WB indeed does stupid 5-asterisk-movies.

I am becoming a believer of Bruce's "implied death". I'm not sure how that plays out, but I'd assume with people believing he is gone he ventures off to another corner of the earth to heal and actually live a healthy life.

Bruce's "death" is the dramatic example the people of Gotham need, especially after Bane exposes Dent and then destroys their city. A few months ago I posted something about the Legend ending merely being about Bruce's true identity being revealed, and that revelation serving as the impetus for significant social change in Gotham. Was it not Bruce's original goal in becoming Batman to "shake people out of their apathy"? Perhaps that is what happens.

Keep in mind, Gotham was a recipient of 8 years of "peace time", for which Bruce paid a very heavy price. In other words, they did nothing to earn it - they were passive...and "benefited" from relying on someone else, one individual at that. After Bane brings the city to its collective knees, they must fight, and they are fighting for a new, real sense of peace, and they must do it for themselves and for each other. Gotham HAS to move to a place of accountability for their city and all within...they can no longer be passive, nor can they rely on a single individual (be it Dent or The Batman).

So I say the Legend isn't ending at all. Perhaps the man, Bruce Wayne or The Batman, ceases to exist in a familiar form, but the Legend is at work as Gotham takes her city back. This speaks directly to the transcendence Ra's speaks of when he visits Bruce in prison.

It all comes back full circle indeed.

Is it possible that Bruce Wayne will die, but "Batman" will live on?

I just can't see Bruce faking his death. The whole point of the Dent cover-up's reprecussions in TDKR and, I suspect, one of the themes of this movie will be "the truth shall set you free".

Doing the same thing as in TDK, only having him be the victim instead of Dent is redundant and cheap for this particular franchise.

I just can't see Bruce faking his death. The whole point of the Dent cover-up's reprecussions in TDKR and, I suspect, one of the themes of this movie will be "the truth shall set you free".

Doing the same thing as in TDK, only having him be the victim instead of Dent is redundant and cheap for this particular franchise.

Exactly.

The last movie ended with a cover-up. The whole point of this film is the ramifications of lying to the people of Gotham.

It's not going to end with Bruce and Gordon making an alliance to lie again.

This quote was in a new interview, found it on another site.

"My understanding is that this is the last one. I think it's appropriate, I think it's going out at the right time. But...if Chris came to me with a script and said, 'You know what? There is another story' then I would love the challenge of making a fourth one work."

Either he is trying to throw us off or he may have just revealed his fate?

This quote was in a new interview, found it on another site.

"My understanding is that this is the last one. I think it's appropriate, I think it's going out at the right time. But...if Chris came to me with a script and said, 'You know what? There is another story' then I would love the challenge of making a fourth one work."

Either he is trying to throw us off or he may have just revealed his fate?

More like confirming that this is the last one and expressing his creative appreciation and support of Nolan.

More like confirming that this is the last one and expressing his creative appreciation and support of Nolan.

what a Novel thought!

Must be this NYC air that's making us think so clearly.

Part 4 would start with Part 3 being all a dream.

The Dark Knight Awakens

Well, Bale said again that he would be willing to come back if Nolan had an idea for a fourth film. He also added that playing an older Batman (or perhaps an older Bruce Wayne who mentors a young Batman) also interested him.

Now of course, it might just be that he doesn't want to spill the beans but those statements to me are a good indicator that Batman doesn't die in this movie.

Supposedly test audiences were in tears over the ending of the film, but who knows what that could mean. I'll concede that it's possible that Batman could bite it in the end, but that sounds doubtful to me. My guess is that someone else dies (Alfred, Gordon or Blake) and Batman views himself as responsible... leading to him shrug off Catwoman's attempts to help him and the end of the film we see a dark, angry, brooding Batman realizing that he can't just stop being Batman because that's who he is... it's his curse forever. Not sure if that would bring people to tears but it might, if handled well.

The problem is that Bale has already stated that the whole point of TDKR is Bruce learning to let go of his pain and enjoy life. It wouldn't make sense for him to learn this lesson and then kill him off. He needs to put his new knowledge into practice.

Also, the whole "Bruce dies but Batman lives" angle doesn't make sense either. We've been told that this is the definitive ending of the saga, so Batman can't exist by the end of the movie. Bruce is aging anyway so even if he continued to be Batman he couldn't so it for more than a few months. What's the point of that?

Well, Bale said again that he would be willing to come back if Nolan had an idea for a fourth film. He also added that playing an older Batman (or perhaps an older Bruce Wayne who mentors a young Batman) also interested him.

Now of course, it might just be that he doesn't want to spill the beans but those statements to me are a good indicator that Batman doesn't die in this movie.

Supposedly test audiences were in tears over the ending of the film, but who knows what that could mean. I'll concede that it's possible that Batman could bite it in the end, but that sounds doubtful to me. My guess is that someone else dies (Alfred, Gordon or Blake) and Batman views himself as responsible... leading to him shrug off Catwoman's attempts to help him and the end of the film we see a dark, angry, brooding Batman realizing that he can't just stop being Batman because that's who he is... it's his curse forever. Not sure if that would bring people to tears but it might, if handled well.

Nolan has said it's his last Batman movie.

They'll reboot afterwards.

The problem is that Bale has already stated that the whole point of TDKR is Bruce learning to let go of his pain and enjoy life. It wouldn't make sense for him to learn this lesson and then kill him off. He needs to put his new knowledge into practice.

Also, the whole "Bruce dies but Batman lives" angle doesn't make sense either. We've been told that this is the definitive ending of the saga, so Batman can't exist by the end of the movie. Bruce is aging anyway so even if he continued to be Batman he couldn't so it for more than a few months. What's the point of that?
Exactly.

If WB somehow manages to convince Nolan to direct or produce another Batman, and if he only produces, they also convince Bale to play Batman again, seeing a Batman Beyond movie with them involved would be incredible.

Nolan has said it's his last Batman movie.

Riddle me this.

Let's say TDKR manages to outgross The Avengers and lands a few Oscar noms. Chris Nolan calls up the WB suits and says, "Ya know what guys, I think I'm not quite done with Batman yet, after all." How many seconds would it take for Warner Brothers to fire the exec who tells him, "No, thanks" and explains that they are moving in a different direction?

Exactly.

The last movie ended with a cover-up. The whole point of this film is the ramifications of lying to the people of Gotham.

It's not going to end with Bruce and Gordon making an alliance to lie again.
This is a good and important point that I didn't really think about. I have said in the past that perhaps Batman is presumed dead but slinks away. If The Bat goes up in a ball of flames and Batman ejects, it can still be handled in a suspenseful way for the audience in that moment, but later revealed to people that Bruce did survive the explosion. In both situations Batman is absolutely over and a symbol for people. But here with the added theme of truth and no baggage. Bruce leaves Gotham and donates Wayne Manor as a Orphan house or something.

Riddle me this.

Let's say TDKR manages to outgross The Avengers and lands a few Oscar noms. Chris Nolan calls up the WB suits and says, "Ya know what guys, I think I'm not quite done with Batman yet, after all." How many seconds would it take for Warner Brothers to fire the exec who tells him, "No, thanks" and explains that they are moving in a different direction?

Nolan has said it's his last Batman movie. He doesn't need to do any more Batman movies to further his career, either.

I'm maintain my "Bourne Ultimatum" theory aka Batman gets a "supposed" death meaning, he doesn't actually die, but the people of Gotham believed he died (just like the Bourne Ultimatum's ending), and Bruce basically gets a nice retirement from being Batman.

I'm maintain my "Bourne Ultimatum" theory aka Batman gets a "supposed" death meaning, he doesn't actually die, but the people of Gotham believed he died (just like the Bourne Ultimatum's ending), and Bruce basically gets a nice retirement from being Batman.

But... Jeremy Renner can't be the next Batman. He's already that arrow guy in The Avengers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"