Why is everyone slamming TDKR?

Discussion in 'The Dark Knight Rises' started by TheDevilIsMe, Feb 27, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. the last son

the last son Well-Known Member

Longer, how long should one have to sit through a movie? Some people take movies way too seriously. 2hrs 45 minutes is more than enough time to get your point across, if you can't do that than you are the problem not the viewer.

2. JackWhite

JackWhite Third Man

For what Rises was trying to achieve, is 3 hours and 15-20 minutes asking too much? Especially if some scenes were just a little longer, a little bit more epic and well played out? I really think not.

3. Snow Queen

Go watch the Lord of the Rings.

4. JackWhite

JackWhite Third Man

That too.

5. Snow Queen

Or Schindler's List.

6. jmc

jmc away for a while

No it's not long enough, there's enough story going on in the film to cover a 12 episode HBO series. It's a condensed version of a story that needed far more time to tell the narrative properly. 3hrs 15min minimum.

7. Ryan

Ryan Well-Known Member

Great post. Loved your review.

8. Anno_Domini

Anno_Domini Well-Known Member

This was a nice review to read, but I can only agree on TDKR should be longer.

I mean,

isn't really true at all. I'd find Insomnia to be Nolan's worst film and I would also rank TDKR as a great ending to the trilogy that ties at least 90% of the storylines from BB and TDK. I won't lie, I can see how some people such as yourself and others can find TDKR to be "below" of the past two Batman flicks from Nolan, but TDKR just makes the trilogy as a whole even greater, imo.

So every single film longer than 2 hours and 45 minutes should have been shorter?

9. The Joker

The Joker The Clown Prince of Crime

Nicely said :up:

It really doesn't hold up beside BB or TDK.

10. FeedOnATreeFrog

FeedOnATreeFrog (A Metal Gear reference)

In my opinion, it's got higher highs and lower lows than the rest of the trilogy.

11. Anno_Domini

All three films have lows and all three films have highs. I mean, not even Lord of the Rings is a perfect trilogy, but those two are still the best trilogies to ever hit the cinema.

12. BatLobsterRises

BatLobsterRises Lobsterized

jmc, I'm glad that you gave the film a second chance and glad you are now able to find some level of enjoyment in it, even if that means lowering your expectations. In my humble opinion, the substance was still there but just played more subtly than it had been in TDK. If that makes it a popcorn movie, then it's just the type of popcorn movie that I love.

However, I don't think even the biggest proponent of Rises would argue that additional running time for the movie to tackle a story of that scale wouldn't have been greatly cherished. They wrote a novel and to some extent gave us the footnotes. But I guess that's what keeps me coming back. For me, the movie feels like this vast world for the imagination to inhabit.

Anyway, I enjoyed seeing your review 8 months later. :yay:

13. Anno_Domini

Oh, I think a good 99% would've been fine to see a longer TDKR for sure, but Nolan tried his best to give all he could to fit under the IMAX time limit and for me, it worked except for a few things(Batman's first return deserved more "hooplah"(although I can see how Nolan wanted to continue the pace and keep Bane as the main thing the police were trying to deal with) and Coleman Reese should've returned).

And BatLobster, I agree...TDKR felt like a far more subtle film from Selina's head turn while Jen asking her if that's what she wanted with the "storm" and everything to Gordon being mentioned as a war hero in the beginning of TDKR and is a war hero at the end of TDKR and that's why he's still the Commissioner.

14. JackWhite

JackWhite Third Man

Here's a good question - would you guys have liked zero IMAX shots, yet have a longer film for TDKR (3 hours and 20 minutes, including credits) ?

15. Anno_Domini

Longer film.

16. Thoix

Thoix Well-Known Member

I agree, although I do love the scenes in IMAX.

17. Snow Queen

Third option: An intermission so they can switch reels.

18. Anno_Domini

Still going with longer film and no IMAX.

19. BatLobsterRises

After TDK, I think no IMAX would have been a huge let down for me. I get a little sad when I imagine seeing Bruce climb out of the pit for the first time and it not being 90 feet tall.

I know it's choosing style over substance, but the IMAX experience was just such a key factor in making the last two movies so larger than life for me. Nothing beats that overwhelming feeling for me.

20. JackWhite

JackWhite Third Man

For some reason I thought you might have gone with IMAX or die, lol.

I'll admit, Bruce climbing out of the pit, in IMAX, was unreal for me the first time I watched TDKR.

21. Anno_Domini

Going back, maybe Nolan shouldn't have even touched IMAX with TDK if it was going to shortchange TDKR.

22. JackWhite

JackWhite Third Man

There really wasn't any way of knowing that back then.

I think you either cut TDKR into two parts or cut Blake or Talia out of the film and keep it one whole movie with IMAX shots.

23. Snow Queen

I'd go split the reels and swap them right after Bane leaves Bruce in the prison. It wouldn't feel complete without Blake and Talia.

24. BatLobsterRises

Yeah, with the intensity that Nolan focuses on one film at a time I think it might be abusing hindsight a bit to suggest that he should have considered staying away from IMAX on TDK due to how it might effect the next film. Nolan really broke the mold with the IMAX stuff on this trilogy. It's undoubtedly going to be one of the major legacies it leaves on a technical level.

25. JackWhite

JackWhite Third Man

I like that idea, except I think it would leave more impact on the audience had they been left with Bane's speech at Blackgate and maybe a closing shot of Bruce in the pit.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.