Wonder Woman Box Office Speculation Thread - Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm convinced WB will fast-track an Wonder Woman sequel for 2019. Patty said she has some concrete ideas for the sequel. Not to mention she, Geoff and Allan Heinberg nailed the WW script within months after she signed on. [...] I'd be shocked if WB waited until 2020. Sam Raimi managed to turn out Spider-Man 2, widely regarded as superior to the first, within two years of the original.

If everything falls into place, Wonder Woman 2 could happen in 2019. I just hope they don't rush it unnecessarily, that's all I'm asking.

Not good, imo. Really dimmed it, and this was a 4k Laser IMAX projector. It was my first time seeing it in 3D as the first couple times were in Dolby Atmos 2D - the latter was definitely the preferred experience.

I saw it in 3D in a Cinemark XD theater and I thought it looked pretty good. Of course, I'm nothing if not the discerning viewer; if it's loud and has a big screen, that means it's good. :ilv: This particular one at the Howard Hughes Center, however, uses dual Barco projectors so that definitely helps the brightness. They have a 3rd camera they use for 2D projections. It's a pretty cool setup. Somehow I conned the Cinemark VP of Marketing to give me the grand tour and I did a write up of it on my website. The pictures I took suck though....they're too dark LOL.

I'm convinced WB will fast-track an Wonder Woman sequel for 2019. Patty said she has some concrete ideas for the sequel. Not to mention she, Geoff and Allan Heinberg nailed the WW script within months after she signed on. I'm wondering whether WB will greenlight two sequels to WW back-to-back for 2019 and 2020 because of how well the original is performing, a la Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl.

I'd be shocked if WB waited until 2020. Sam Raimi managed to turn out Spider-Man 2, widely regarded as superior to the first, within two years of the original.

Some parents don't want their children left out... plus it lands on a Friday that year.

The Batman
Suicide Squad 2
Gotham City Sirens
Wonder Woman 2

Those four are the biggest priorities WB should have based on revenue and critical response. Depending on how JL fares this November and how beloved/well recieved Ezra is, I'd add a JL sequel and Flash solo to that list. Throw in an Aquaman sequel and I guess another Supes solo for good measure...

Then there's Cyborg, GLC, Shazam, Black Adam, Nightwing, Batgirl, JLD...etc Who I feel should take a backseat to the aforementioned movies. Quite the bloated schedule imo!

Anyway we're getting off topic we should take our discussion to this thread:
http://forums.superherohype.com/showthread.php?t=527015

They could easily get WW2 in 2019 if Patty wants to, but I wouldn't try to pump out sequels in successive years, i.e. Hunger Games, Hobbits, Divergent etc let the time to build up anticipation and let other characters have their chances.

Flash and JL2 depends on November's b.o. I believe.

Maybe the JLD/Batgirl report is just them trying to get really early preparation going. Anyways, I wouldn't mind seeing WW2 in less than 2 years :ilv:

Last edited:
It's kind of remarkable a film that opened significantly lower than it's two predecessors may actually come out the box office winner. Classic tortoise and the hare situation.

Shows you the use of word of mouth. If you build a good movie, they will come.

November 2019 would be enough time for WW2 to give Patty and WB a little breathing room before they enter production. Though I'm confident SW9 will be delayed to December just like 8 was (no idea why they try to rush these sequels out to May), so that might be a slight problem for WW2 (granted, the sequel is certainly going to be a lot more frontloaded so it will probably make the vast majority of its money in the first few weeks). The Batman should be a July/August movie.

Shows you the use of word of mouth. If you build a good movie, they will come.

I think people were a little gunshy after the previous DCEU movies. If this thing is closer to 400M than 300M, a "normal" opening weekend would have looked more like 150M.

I dont like the idea of WW2 going up against SW9 TBH, it eats up all the screens and looking at GOTG2, there are plenty of money that can still be made after 4 weekends DOM and OS, and the demo WW has might still have great legs despite been more front loaded next time, so touching SW is like the kiss of death...wasn't WB going for OCT for Aquaman before?

October would be fine, I think. Have any big blockbusters come out in October that aren't Halloween-themed? September, October and January are months that studios seem to still be afraid of putting their tentpoles in.

Had a look just now, The Martians 238M and Gravity's 274M are the big Oct original releases in the last few years and The Accountant was a sleeper hit last year. So plausible for WW if looking to let the movie leg out, maybe they wanted to break new grounds with AM initially

Also Venom is coming out in October next year... groan.

True, is it connected to MCU and will Spidey make an appearance? That's so confusing

If everything falls into place, Wonder Woman 2 could happen in 2019. I just hope they don't rush it unnecessarily, that's all I'm asking.

i think WB will drop matt reeve's Batman in 2019 alongside Suicide Squad 2
Wonder woman could wait for 2020, no way they drop 3 movies on the same year

I would love if we got Superman and Batman in the same year again. 2019...a man can dream.

I honestly dont think SS2 is coming in 2019 (and wont until I hear more than just an actor saying he heard stuff) and I doubt JLD gets made at all. I think people are clinging to the "slate" too much. Studios over announce projects all the time you need to wait until you hear scripts are done and there are press releases on hirings before you start to assume movies come around.

I hope they take their time. No need to rush it. 2020 sounds like a good date for Wonder Woman 2.

I dont like the idea of WW2 going up against SW9 TBH, it eats up all the screens and looking at GOTG2, there are plenty of money that can still be made after 4 weekends DOM and OS, and the demo WW has might still have great legs despite been more front loaded next time, so touching SW is like the kiss of death...wasn't WB going for OCT for Aquaman before?

Episode IX is initially scheduled for Memorial Day Weekend 2019. WW2 should be fine coming 2-3 weeks after if Disney doesn't move it to December again.

The reason Aquaman moved from October 5, 2018 to December 21, 2018 is because Fox wouldn't have Avatar 2 ready. Disney kept the Han Solo film in the Memorial Day 2018 spot, so WB saw an opportunity and pounced.

October 2018 would've been a terrific spot for Aquaman (lack of big competition), but a Christmas date enables the film to get a nice holiday multiple.

Crazy. What sort of drop can we expect next week?

Wow this is turning into a beast!!

WW's 17 day total is better than The Secret Life of Pets & The Jungle Book. Two summer movies from last year that had similar OW numbers with both grossing over $360M+ domestic.

Note: Just remembered that The Jungle Book was released in April, so it is technically not a summer release.

Last edited:

Not sure what the prediction experts are saying, but I think it could end up being quite a good fourth weekend. Cars and a couple of other things opening on a Friday might have been tougher than Transformers opening Wednesday, in certain ways.

It looks like Cars only had a 53M weekend, compared to WW's 40M 3rd weekend.

I don't know. I don't expect it'll bleed theaters because of the holds. Jungle Book had a larger drop in week 4. Even with a 40% drop, it should do around $25M. But if it holds like this week, it could do $30M. So I think between $25-30M is reasonable.

It should pull in around $16M during weekday showings this week, so it's total should be near $320M after next weekend.

If it has ridiculous holds during the weekdays and holds under 30% again next week, $400M is seriously in play. Still find around $360-370 the most likely, but I could see this playing on over 2,000 screens for awhile and that means as the weeks go by, the numbers just keep rising.

I don't expect it to get near $400M but a final domestic intake of $360M would still place it as the best performing DCEU movie. WB should be blissful right now.

Not sure what the prediction experts are saying, but I think it could end up being quite a good fourth weekend. Cars and a couple of other things opening on a Friday might have been tougher than Transformers opening Wednesday, in certain ways.

It looks like Cars only had a 53M weekend, compared to WW's 40M 3rd weekend.

There's a chance WW could beat out Cars 3 next weekend. Not as likely because the animated movies don't drop much, but a 50% drop puts Cars at 26.5M while a 30% drop puts WW at $28M.

I don't expect it to get near $400M but a final domestic intake of $360M would still place it as the best performing DCEU movie. WB should be blissful right now.

I understand that WB has used some of the film's proceeds to upgrade all their office water coolers.

tumblr_m5e349Cxlw1r16n9qo1_500.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"