Wonder Woman Box Office Speculation Thread - Part 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
According to projections, the movie is almost earning equal to it's budget (150 mil.) in first week in domestic market.

I keep seeing tweets it's gonna crush The Mummy...well that will be hilarious since it's number 2 of them trying to launch that Dark Universe or whatever of theirs :funny:

I keep seeing tweets it's gonna crush The Mummy...well that will be hilarious since it's number 2 of them trying to launch that Dark Universe or whatever of theirs :funny:
I was hoping we'd have the name "dark Universe" for our name, but they took it. :cmad:
Save

I feel the over crowded month will see low audience turnout for each of these movies, I mean, the same demographic will be watching Pirates, Mummy, Cars and Transformers in a month, people may get selective and avoid some of those movies, movie Ticket prices are not coming down.

Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 dropped -74.8% on its first Monday.
May mondays aren't comparable to June mondays because a lot of schools are out in June. Movies always drop a lot more on mondays in May than in June.
If you want to know how good the drop is you have to compare it to a movie that was released in early June as well.

Just to compare, MoS, also a June release, dropped 65% on its first Monday. SS fell 57%, so better than WW, but it was an August release with the full benefits of summer break, which are just hitting for WW. BVS also had a better Monday hold, slipping 56%, but that was after catastrophic drops on Saturday and Sunday. WW is holding very well.

May mondays aren't comparable to June mondays because a lot of schools are out in June. Movies always drop a lot more on mondays in May than in June.
If you want to know how good the drop is you have to compare it to a movie that was released in early June as well.

Not the first week in June.

May 5 GOTG2
May 12 King Arthur
May 19 Alien: Covenant
May 26 POTC: Dead Men Tell No Tales
June 2 Wonder Woman
June 9 The Mummy
June 16 Cars 3
June 23 Transformers: The Last Knight
June 30 Despicable Me 3
July 7 Spider-Man: Homecoming
July 14 War for the Planet of the Apes
July 21 Dunkirk
July 28 The Dark Tower

This was one of the most packed Summers that I can remember and there have already been casualties and there will be more.

If it drops less than 55% this weekend (which would be absolutely incredible for a comic book movie), then $290-300m total is in sight.

Just to compare, MoS, also a June release, dropped 65% on its first Monday. SS fell 57%, so better than WW, but it was an August release with the full benefits of summer break, which are just hitting for WW. BVS also had a better Monday hold, slipping 56%, but that was after catastrophic drops on Saturday and Sunday. WW is holding very well.
BvS dropped only 56% because the first monday was Easter Monday.

But yeah, WW's monday drop is good. It should start beating MoS's daily numbers tomorrow.
MoS made 150M after the 1st monday was over, WW should be able to beat that; it should have better legs. So 265M DOM should be the absolute floor for Wonder Woman. And 265M would already give it the best multiplier in the DCEU. Still has shot at 300M+, although it's a little optimistic to aim that high this early on.

Not the first week in June.
Yes, a lot of schools are out in the first week of June. Not all yet, but definitely a good portion of them.

@ChinaBoxOffice: WONDER WOMAN earned ¥32.8M/¥30.6M ($4.8M/$4.5M) on Tuesday including/wo ticketing fees. China's total is now ¥331M/¥310M ($48.7M/$45.6M)

Yes, a lot of schools are out in the first week of June. Not all yet, but definitely a good portion of them.

wrong.gif

Cool.
$145m ahead of hopefully a strong 2nd weekend should mean we aren't too far from $200m by Sunday.

Not calling it, but I wouldn't be shocked if it tips over 200 on Sunday.

You can't argue with facts...
In the United States, summer vacation lasts for about two to three months, and its dates vary depending on the location of the school district. There are two major formats: The first one is from early June to early September, which is observed in most northern states; while the other major format lasts from late May to late August, and is followed by most southern and western states.

Summer vacation or break lasts for around 12 weeks, and starts anywhere from late May to late June, and could end anywhere from late August to Labor Day, the first Monday in September. This, of course, is still dependent on the region.
http://www.christianpost.com/news/w...hools-start-summer-holidays-in-the-us-180600/

BvS dropped only 56% because the first monday was Easter Monday.

But yeah, WW's monday drop is good. It should start beating MoS's daily numbers tomorrow.
MoS made 150M after the 1st monday was over, WW should be able to beat that; it should have better legs. So 265M DOM should be the absolute floor for Wonder Woman. And 265M would already give it the best multiplier in the DCEU. Still has shot at 300M+, although it's a little optimistic to aim that high this early on.

A 265 floor sounds about right. I was ballparking it around 270-280 after seeing Monday's number. Would love to see it reach 300.

May 5 GOTG2
May 12 King Arthur
May 19 Alien: Covenant
May 26 POTC: Dead Men Tell No Tales
June 2 Wonder Woman
June 9 The Mummy
June 16 Cars 3
June 23 Transformers: The Last Knight
June 30 Despicable Me 3
July 7 Spider-Man: Homecoming
July 14 War for the Planet of the Apes
July 21 Dunkirk
July 28 The Dark Tower

This was one of the most packed Summers that I can remember and there have already been casualties and there will be more.

Those movies immediately following SM:H. It's won't be as easy this time.

WW nao has the be 2nd best Monday drop after the OW (Batman Begins is first but iirc, 'twas a Wednesday release) and that too coming at the back of one of the best Sunday holds on OW. Fantastic. Go Diana :D :D

Those movies immediately following SM:H. It's won't be as easy this time.

Maybe. However, domestically again, the last Planet of the Apes didn't necessarily shine ($208.5M) and Nolan's war movie and if Dark Tower is R Rated will not be aiming for the family demographic

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"