Wonder Woman Box Office Speculation Thread - Part 3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wonder Woman will lose theaters to Dunkirk next week...

2h85wnd.png

Jk, I meant no malice, but I think you need to learn a lot more about box office if you're interested in it. Btw welcome to the forum :)

Last weekend WW made 6.9M overseas for 377.1M total. So in the Monday-Sunday period WW made 13.7M, half from Mon-Thu and half from Fri-Sun.

Updated weekend BO OS http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?page=intl&view=byweekend&wk=2017W27&id=wonderwoman.htm

Box Office: 'Wonder Woman' Will Be Just The Third-Biggest Female-Led Hit Of 2017

https://www.forbes.com/sites/scottm...-biggest-female-led-hit-of-2017/#7bf950d92de0

MV5BZjk1M2ViMTQtZjJmMC00MTllLThhMzYtNjg0ZmNhMDI3MTI4L2ltYWdlL2ltYWdlXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNjczOTE0MzM@._V1_SX1502_CR001502999_AL_-1200x675.jpg

Another day, another Wonder Woman update. I figured I would be winding down relatively soon, but there is clearly a fan base for these daily updates, so onward and upward.

Wonder Woman earned another $1.19 million on its sixth Monday (-72% from last Monday, as that was a holiday), bringing its 39-day domestic total to $369.683m. Barring a fluke, today is the day that Wonder Woman passes The Passion of the Christ's domestic total ($370.3m in 2004 and sans 3D) today. It may soon dip below $1m for the day, but that's a conversation for another update.

Assuming it doesn't drop dead this week, it should end its seventh weekend just over/under the $381 million domestic total of Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows part II and past the likes of Star Wars Episode III: Revenge of the Sith ($380m in 2005), Spider-Man 2 ($373m in 2004) and The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King ($377m in 2003). If it passes the $400 million mark, it will be bigger than all but the first and last Harry Potter movies even when adjusted for inflation. It has already soared past all five Twilight films (albeit all of which were in 2D) in real grosses and when adjusted for inflation. And the picture has already out-grossed the last two Hunger Games movies (all four of which played in 2D in North America).

Among all female-led movies (or female/male two-handers like Jurassic World), Wonder Woman is only behind the last two Star Wars movies, Titanic, Jurassic World, Beauty and the Beast, Finding Dory, the first two Hunger Games movies and Frozen. If it makes it to $410 million (possible but not remotely guaranteed), it'll be past the first Hunger Games and Frozen, although it's all-but-certain that it will be merely the third-biggest female-led movie of 2017 behind Beauty and the Beast and Star Wars: The Last Jedi.

Think about that for a minute. For all the talk about female-led action movies and fantasies being box office poison, for all the conventional wisdom about boys not seeing girl movies, Wonder Woman is going to be one of the biggest female-led movies of all time in North America. And it will still only be the third-biggest of this year in North America and worldwide. Heck, when Wonder Woman passes Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 at the domestic box office in a week or two, that means that all three likely 2017 domestic box office champions will be explicitly female-led fantasies.

Even if Justice League sneaks in, it will be very much thanks to Gal Gadot's crowd-pleasing Wonder Woman movie. And that's assuming it doesn't count anyway by being Wonder Woman and the Challenge of the Super Friends or a Batman and Wonder Woman: The Brave and the Bold two-hander. Thor: Ragnarok could play spoiler, but for what it's worth that franchise has always been very female-gaze friendly. No, women don't see Thor movies just to ogle Chris Hemsworth, Tom Hiddleston and Idris Elba anymore than I only see Thor movies to ogle Natalie Portman and Kat Dennings (in nerd glasses!) and (eventually) goth-queen Cate Blanchett, but it helps.

But I digress. And going forward, Wonder Woman is both not a fluke and also not the bar for success for the next big female-led action fantasy. That's the double-edged sword regarding female-led studio pictures. On the one hand, we don't want the media and the studios writing off Bad Moms as a special circumstance. But on the other hand, we don't want Bad Moms to be held up as the expected result every time out so that Girls Trip is deemed a whiff if it "only" makes $55 million. Sure, Wonder Woman's success is good news for Captain Marvel, but let's not all go crazy if said Brie Larson sci-fi adventure does MCU's standard over/under $85m opening and over/under $240m domestic take in two years.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"