The Dark Knight Rises You Have My Permission To Lounge - Part 6

Status
Not open for further replies.
He is still intent on helming Justice League 2. That wouldn't be the case if WB was wholly against it.

As stupid as they are, surely they are not that stupid. I am sure they will wait and see what the reception to JL is.

JL1 is gonna get destroyed by critics, but everyone in here already knew that

Only thing that could keep Zack around is the box office return, which I see being around the same as BvS. And if they're satisfied with that, then well.... very sad!

Batman and Superman in the same movie and it couldn't even break a billion, when Batman on his own has made a billion twice already.

I can't imagine WB are at all satisfied with that.

It seems they weren't, with all the changes like Johns getting a bigger role and them moving faster towards the movies being lighter and humorous than they originally intended.

And with this shift in tone, I guarantee you there will be Green Lantern comparisons. And They'll even say things like

"has there ever been a more painfully obvious reactionary creative shift in tone than this?"

Or

"These films don't even feel like they take place in the same universe despite all the actors being the same"

They just can't do these characters justice. Nolan ever agreeing to helm the Batman franchise seems more and more like a godsend with each and every passing day. Without those films, WB's live action DC movie vault is practically a laughing stock with the exception of Donner Superman and Burton Batman

The ASM franchise had a big change in tone. It could be comparable to that, with them thinking the only problem is the tone. I am not sure any tone would have made a lot of the stuff in BVS any better or more acceptable to people.

Anyone find it amusing that all the DC fans that seemingly had a pathological aversion to any shred of humor are completely fine with the terrible attempts at the JL trailer? Brand tribalism at its finest. It's only bad when the 'enemy' does it.

I have seen some complain about that and they are hoping they will not "dumb down" the movie.

What a dumb sentiment. Good humor takes intelligence and hard work. It's easier to turn everything into a humorless slog.

Also, I love how there's a logical explanation for just about everything in BvS and in some cases suicide squad. If you challenge their official be-all end-all explanations, they go into some long winded diatribe on why you are wrong and they'll encourage you to watch the extended cut.

Just because an explanation based on their understanding of say, why Batman straight up murders people in BvS, is provided, doesn't mean we have to accept or even like that creative choice. It's like these films are the law of god. To challenge anything these films present is going to get you a "oh, talking about BvS AGAIN :whatever:"

But when you shamelessly kiss the film's ass, no one bats an eye

And with this shift in tone, I guarantee you there will be Green Lantern comparisons. And They'll even say things like

"has there ever been a more painfully obvious reactionary creative shift in tone than this?"

Or

"These films don't even feel like they take place in the same universe despite all the actors being the same"

They just can't do these characters justice. Nolan ever agreeing to helm the Batman franchise seems more and more like a godsend with each and every passing day. Without those films, WB's live action DC movie vault is practically a laughing stock with the exception of Donner Superman and Burton Batman

I think Nolan doing the Batman films is kind of a gift/curse for WB. On one hand, they were huge critical/audience successes, rescued the Batman franchise from Schu-mockery, and stand out as exemplary entries in the superhero genre that will probably have a lasting legacy. So in that sense it creates a nice aura around the franchise and shows what's possible with it.

On the other hand, it's entirely possible that they also could've successfully rebooted the Batman franchise in a way that would've worked with the larger DC Universe concept and if that had been the case they may never have had to start from scratch. Closing the book on an extremely popular version of the character and then rebooting so soon after was always going to be a tall order. Adding Snyder to the mix there was just playing with fire.

To be fair to WB though, it wasn't clear in 2005, 2008 or really even 2012 (up until Avengers was a monster hit) that Marvel was going to become what it is today. WB was backing a filmmaker with more old fashioned sensibilities to make a self-contained trilogy. If it were anyone else, I'm sure they wouldn't have let the franchise end after only 3 movies, but I think with Inception it became clear that Nolan even as an original filmmaker was too valuable an asset to mess with. So Batman was going to be momentarily done, and they were going to try and chase that formula with Superman with crossovers happening down the line. Obviously the plan got...accelerated, and here we are.

So yeah it's a double-edged thing, because it's tough to say where they'd be right now if Nolan never entered the picture. I think a lot of DC fans continue to yearn for movies that are as enthusiastically received as the DK movies (TDK specifically), but that wouldn't even be a benchmark to aim for if WB had never allowed those movies to happen.

Last edited:
This false adulation of the Ultimate Cut is dumb. It doesn't fix the fundamental problems with the film at all. It at best makes it more coherent.

But it's still a bad flick. Coherent or not.

If you say anything negative about the DCEU, you are a "DC hater", even if your name and avatar are DC characters and you spend most of your time in DC threads.

Last edited:
Anyone find it amusing that all the DC fans that seemingly had a pathological aversion to any shred of humor are completely fine with the terrible attempts at the JL trailer? Brand tribalism at its finest. It's only bad when the 'enemy' does it.

I have seen some complain about that and they are hoping they will not "dumb down" the movie.

I found the JL footage to be a breath of fresh air considering the miserable pile of "misunderstood art" we got the last time around, even though most of the humor beats didn't hit.

But I also laugh at the people who adored BvS and hated the JL footage. I respect all opinions but I just don't get how you could want more of what you saw in BvS.

I can all but guarantee I will enjoy Justice League more than BvS even if it's (probably) terrible. Kinda like the same way I enjoyed suicide squad more, even though that movie is a dumpster fire.

So what do you guys think of the recent reports that WB intended to keep Snyder for JL 2?

They never learn do they?
Moan groan

And imagine if directors with actual skill and talent got half, half the chances Snyder got. Hollywood would be overflowing with good movies.
And no "I'm working on art" kind of speech.

One reservation I have with JL is that it looks like it will be shot entirely on sets and green screen.

I have a friend who loves BvS and isn't as excited for JL because of the potentially forced tonal shift.

Even though I strongly disagree with his opinion on BvS, I at least give him credit for being consistent about what he's looking for from the DC films.

Who do people think would have been better choices than Snyder for these movies that would have been available?

In other news, Rogue One reviews are coming out. It's a very Gareth film, I should say.

It just goes back to the fact that this universe was ill conceived and absolutely done on the fly despite what the DC Pee Yew altar worshippers will tell you

When you double down on your 11th pick to direct Man of Steel, this is what happens. They're making money, but not nearly as much as they could have if things were done differently.

It just goes back to the fact that this universe was ill conceived and absolutely done on the fly despite what the DC Pee Yew altar worshippers will tell you

When you double down on your 11th pick to direct Man of Steel, this is what happens. They're making money, but not nearly as much as they could have if things were done differently.

I thought it was 5th?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
evilAIS
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"