You Have My Permission To Lounge - Part 8

Discussion in 'The Dark Knight Rises' started by Thread Manager, Mar 29, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. shauner111 Registered

People who watch movies like that on their phones. There's a special place in hell reserved for them..

2. Kane52630 Timmverse User

I bet that place in hell is lit af.

3. shauner111 Registered

Hahaha for sure.

4. BatLobster Trailer Timewarper

Pretty cool video delving into a philosophical perspective of TDKT. Part of a series on Nolan's filmography.

[YT]O3K2thH1goE[/YT]

5. JackWhite Third Man

Watched that a few days ago. Very cool, indeed.

6. Spider-Aziz Farewell, Silver Perm Friend

306 episodes and 2 movies, that is what I watched from the DCAU. I skipped 2 B:TAS related movies, Static Shock, and Zeta Project.

7. 2kt09 Snyder Rent-Free

Why would you skip Static Shock? That's probably the first DC adaptation with that whole premise of a young hero up against metahumans who all happen to have been created from the same thing.

8. Spider-Aziz Farewell, Silver Perm Friend

I don't have it.

9. Spider-Aziz Farewell, Silver Perm Friend

Snow Steam Iron
    A title that raises questions, starting with; "What does this mean?".

I saw Zack Snyder's recent short film, and it's chaotic editing, some shots that seem pointless, and a confusing sequence of events. I guess I should take that it's about a woman abused by her spouse who is a police officer she kills after him and his force pals torture her, but that bloody editing is just awful.

10. I Am The Knight Tonight's a good night.

I haven't seen the latest Snyder.

11. shauner111 Registered

Same. Don't plan on seeing it.

12. I Am The Knight Tonight's a good night.

13. Spider-Aziz Farewell, Silver Perm Friend

I was curious, hope to see better work from him... it was too early to have positive feelings about a project with his name attached to it.

14. The Joker The Clown Prince of Crime

15. shauner111 Registered

Not exactly. He didn't say it deserved its criticism. He said it would be fair to think it was too dark. Which is another b.s way to act like THAT was what people had an issue with. Yes, a lot had a problem with the tone, fair enough. But the bigger criticisms had to do with writing, characterization, direction, pacing, the list goes on. Once again he's not saying that THOSE criticisms are fair , probably because he doesn't see a problem with it. Rather, he talks about the tone as if a lighter tone "like Wonder Woman" should make critics happier.

He's just as clueless as Snyder. And that's why I think Justice League will probably fail, even worse than BvS. And they'll be scratching their heads like "what do they want? Dark? Light? Oh wait I KNOW what they want!! Stand alone movies! They hate the idea of a shared universe! Get it now!? And they hate Zack Snyder! Ok so check this out...we'll just stick to Aquaman movies, Green Lantern movies, Flash movies, Wonder Woman sequels! Superman sequels! BATMAN SEQUELS! JOKER MOVIES!!! F**K YEAH! Let's get to it!"

And they'll make the same mistakes with those solo movies too, unless they honestly let the filmmakers do their thing and hire the right people who understand the tone that needs to be used for each character.

#965 shauner111, Oct 5, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 5, 2017
  16. Tacit Ronin Registered

Anyone else hate the strawmen 'faults'? It was too dark. It was too tonally different. It was too much of a deconstruction.

**** off. It sucked. It wasn't because it was too dark. It wasn't because it was too tonally radical. It wasn't because we can't handle deconstruction. It sucked.

Do they do this so they can admit there are problems (by inventing imaginary ones) but without having to admit they **** the bed? It seems to be a popular tactic. Snyder, Mrs. Snyder and Batfleck, many have used this.

17. BatLobster Trailer Timewarper

Yeah, I think it's just PR speak. They've honed in on what was, generally speaking, an issue people had with the movie, which gives them an out to acknowledge the fact that the movie wasn't well-received without having to really get in the woods about why. And that way they can focus on the one thing that they're very blatantly trying to address. It's an easier sell to Joe moviegoer than "This time there will be proper character motivations, a better thought-out plot, and better editing!" (Assuming JL actually has those things).

It's a strawman, but I could see it being a strawman that WB handed out memos about for everyone promoting the film.

18. shauner111 Registered

Also known as phony Hollywood b.s. I hate that crap.

19. Tacit Ronin Registered

Lobster, I would agree with you if Snyder and DC didn't make the same mistakes over and over and over again. That tells me they really do hide behind strawmen with no capacity to actually reflect on the faults.

20. flickchick85 Admin of Might

They'll never admit the flaws were poor writing, directing or acting. Anyone expecting that kind of honesty from any major studio players is living in a pipe dream. Making the flaws into a "we misread audience preferences" thing is the Hollywood PR way of admitting there were flaws at all. And it's all you'll get.

21. BatLobster Trailer Timewarper

Yup. Hey, it's a business. I don't have to like it, but I get it. Hundreds of millions of dollars on the line.

The thing is, there's no way anybody is going to come out and say "The problem was Zack Snyder." He's still involved, so it doesn't serve their interests to talk about Snyder not being the right guy for the job. Part of the awkwardness of fast-tracking Justice League with Snyder attached before BvS was even released.

On the other hand, allowing another director to come in and completely reshape the movie kind of speaks volumes.

22. DoomRulz A guy that comes and goes

The film was underwhelming. I wouldn't say it sucked, necessarily. It was just disappointing, which is worse because at least a sucky movie, you walk away and forget about it. Over a year later and people are still talking about BvS and what went wrong with it. To me, that means people wanted it to be good.

23. batfreakforever A real fan

It is [email protected]#$ing fantastic. BvS lived up to my hype. People [email protected]#$ about the smallest things and when you spend days. Weeks. Years on end in forums talking about every little detail before the film is out then of course it has a very high percentage of not meeting those expectations.

BvS was much more then your typical vs film. It gave us lots of unexpected things the blew me away. Fans talk about this and this should happen and when it doesnt then fans cry that the filmmakers dont have an idea. BS. Its fans that want it ALL by the numbers. Film makers are there to give us something new but still give us the character that we know and love. They can hopefully explore sides of the character that are not really explored in other film versions.
    Batman and Superman have been explored and developed in many different ways in nearly 80 years of publication and many many times in film and television.

Finding new ways in film to explore a character like Batman is easy. Batman is a much more flexable to tell many different sides of him than Superman.

Superman is very much the same in all versions of tv and film. So when he was shown as he was presented in a massive scale film like BvS then of course people will lose their minds because the public havent seen many different versions of Superman on film before.

Fans complain that MoS was not intended to the start of the DC filmverse. That doesnt matter. It was the introduction to this Superman. It focused on his story. His origin. His development. His Battle. We havent had a Superman origin film since the late 70's. This was needed to introduce a new version.

BvS introduced a new Batman. We just had a Batman origin film not too long ago and this Batman needed a different approach. Its a different Batman but most of details are still the same. We got a mini origin in BvS anyway for the 1% who dont know anything about BW's motivation.

24. Spider-Aziz Farewell, Silver Perm Friend

Hello there batfreakforever.
    Black Widow? She's that big? And is DC property?

25. shauner111 Registered

Batbreak...BvS was just not very good. You can be original all you want on paper, execution is key. BvS wasn't that original anyhow. Development for Superman in MoS? He's the same in the beginning as he was at the end. There's doing different things to make it fresh, and there's just making up crap that has nothing to do with who they are as characters. That's BvS. Awful looking cinematography and CGI in most scenes. Bad wooden acting from Cavill and Affleck. Poorly directed and edited almost from start to finish. Cartoon villains that clash with the serious tone, giving us some of the most embarrassing performances and villains since Batman and Robin. Themes that are shoved down your throat. An obnoxious score. Motivations that make zero sense all because Snyder has a fetish for a cool chase scene. Do you want me to carry on? There are some decent scenes in the first act but I'll call a spade a spade. It's a bad movie and it has nothing to do with people wanting it to be safe. Logan was not safe and ten times more original. And look at the response.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.