The Dark Knight Rises You Have My Permission To Lounge - Part 8

Status
Not open for further replies.
Then there was that terrible bombing in Manchester. They say these things come in threes. I hope that's the lot.

Man, I don't think I've ever had such skewed opinion of a Marvel film as I do with Homecoming.

On one hand, everything done with Peter Parker looks phenomenal. ASM bragged about focusing more on the high school drama, but it never did anything with it. This feels like a classic Lee/Ditko high school drama in a modern context. I'll be surprised if Feige and Co. don't nail that aspect of the mythos. Also the villain looks fantastic.

On the other hand, everything done with Spidey just feels so...un-Spidey. From Tony giving him classic Spidey gadgets like the spider-signal, different webbings and the spider-tracer, him giving out reports of his activities to Mr. Stark, a "training wheels" program in the suit...this feels like the least independent version we've seen. Furthermore it just all feels so business-thought. Like they're being different for the sake of being different. I mean, is this really the direction had they gone in had it not been for the circumstances?

Now granted, the whole film could be about Peter breaking away from Tony. From what I read, even fans of this pitch take this for granted. I mean it's possible, but I'd like to point out two things.

First, there's no evidence yet of them going that direction. The film could end with Peter having no mentor, Tony learning to be less of an intrusive mentor, Tony adopting a more cooperative approach, or even Peter screwing up and accepting he needs a mentor. We have no reason to take the assumption above for granted besides faith in Marvel sticking to established Spider-Man norms.

Second, while technically not an origin story, it ultimately has the same concept as an origin story: Peter doesn't become the Spider-Man we know till the very end. Doesn't make it a bad thing, but it would suggest all the talk of "we're starting with Spidey being Spidey" is partially exaggerated.

I'll obviously give the film a chance, and even if it "my" Spider-Man I'll still judge it on its own merits. But I do think it's a bit dishonest for the "no valid concerns exist" crowd to not acknowledge any validity to the above two points, as some of the hypesters are doing.

Those are pretty much my thoughts to a T, Shika.

I'm loving everything with Holland as Peter, but having Stark being so hands on with him giving Peter practically everything rubs me the wrong way. I'm not sure if I will see this in theaters or wait until the DVD. I will probably wait and see what the general response is to the film first.

Shika nailed it.

I might skip it too. I'm already skipping Wonder Woman.

It's like we're getting another origin story without seeing the bite or Uncle Ben biting the dust.

I'm curious about WW, only because it's her first film, not counting BVS.

Tattooed "Joker" lookalike arrested after pointing gun at cars, Miami police say

Can I blame Jared Leto for that?

170524-miami-lawrence-sullivan-02.jpg

I saw a video of parents blaming Samuel L. Jackson for their children knowing how to cuss because of his movie, and the man replied to them; "Ratings are there for a reason".

I'm being an annoying ass ruining your humor, sorry about that.

I don't want to give the new Spider-Man movie a chance cause of what Shikamaru stated, but knowing myself I'll probably watch it, and will more than likely enjoy it.

There's not enough space for that with all the other crap filling his forehead skin.

The other crap shouldn't even be on the forehead. Just damaged. #notatruefan

Guys, make fun of the Homecoming posters all you want - Lord knows they deserve it - but don't do it to troll your fellow posters, please.

That guy is a fool, he deserves sitting in jail for his foolish mistake.
Guys, make fun of the Homecoming posters all you want - Lord knows they deserve it - but don't do it to troll your fellow posters, please.
This is a post more suited for the Homecoming portion of Spidey boards than it is here.

Nice. One thing I really respect about Nerdwriter is he offers great analysis without making his videos super long. He's a very concise communicator.

Nice. One thing I really respect about Nerdwriter is he offers great analysis without making his videos super long. He's a very concise communicator.
This sums up why I like this guy, and can't get into Geekvolution as much as I want to.

This sums up why I like this guy, and can't get into Geekvolution as much as I want to.

I was really into that channel for a while but I've kind of fallen off the bandwagon ever since Vince left. I also really don't care for Browncoat Eric.

I will say that Homecoming is one of the most interesting marketing experiences I ever had with a film. It's the first one I could think of where I want the film spoiled for me.

I mean, any spoilers at this point (high school drama notwithstanding) are a win-win situation IMO. If I know they're going the independent route in advance, I'll have less anxiety going in. If I know they're going the mentor route, I'll be more mentally prepared to view the film on its own merits.

I'm not sure what exactly that says about the studio, but it's an interesting experience nevertheless.

Sooooooo, that WW movie, apparently it's good?

That poll has the top three right. :cwink:

7 Batman movies in the top ten....but "OF COURSE" :woot:

WW is sitting at 96% right now with 54 reviews counted. Fair to say this well on track to being the first majority consensus well-received post-Nolan, non-Lego DC film. A much-needed win for the DCEU. Now let's see what it does at the box office. If the buzz keeps up this could end up being the blockbuster of the summer to beat.

As for Homecoming...I hate to say it, but the movie just looks so middle of the road. I was way more interested in ASM-2 at this stage in the game. Now, I'll be the first to admit that ASM-2 was a tonally out of whack, jumbled together mess of a film that went full Schumacher more than a few times. However, the visuals of that film as well as the suit absolutely smoke what I've seen from Homecoming. That movie really did have a great approach visually-- it's a shame it couldn't tidy up its story, but it's also a shame that Marvel is taking the franchise a step backwards in that department. And that's without getting into how much they're pushing Tony/Iron Man.

I'm sure Tom Holland is going to make a great Peter/Spidey and possibly the definitive. It might be enough to carry the movie. I'm sure the movie will be okay at worst. It's just hard to be excited for something that looks "okay" when it's the second reboot and third iteration of the franchise within a decade.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MartyMcFly1985
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"