You Have My Permission To Lounge - Part 6

Discussion in 'The Dark Knight Rises' started by Thread Manager, Nov 29, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. shauner111 Registered

It really is. I've never heard that before.

2. Tacit Ronin Registered

Before we know it, there shall be a a petition to get him to direct the new Bond.

3. titansupes Registered

Yup.

4. Kahran Ramsus Super Moderator

The shoot out in the snow in Inception was excellent.

5. shauner111 Registered

The action and gunplay in Inception was awesome.

6. Ivan Drago Do Not Want

I don't have a problem with the gunplay in Nolan's movies, except TDKR. In some scenes it looks like people are just jerking their submachine guns while sparks happen in the distance.

Also many scenes in TDKR look very oddly staged, and I'm not even talking about fight chorography. For example when people get shot, there's no bullet holes or anything to indicate they've been shot. The worst bit is when Foley get's shot, it looks like he's playing dead.

I know it sounds like I'm nitpicking, but I notice this stuff and it takes me out of the movie. I'm aware Nolan doesn't like to have a lot of blood in his movies, but at least make it look like someone got shot.

I didn't have this issue with TDK, or BB because there were bullet holes or at least something to indicate someone got shot.

7. BatmanBeyond Shadow On The Run

I agree with this, but the 'Batman, sign my gun!' guy from right after he kicks Bane through the door still amuses me to no end. :woot:

I don't really think there's anything wrong with how Nolan handles romance, either.

8. I Am The Knight Tonight's a good night.

:lmao:

9. Tacit Ronin Registered

Can't get over how poorly constructed this scene is, from top to bottom.

[YT]ePCZUr-kTco[/YT]

10. shauner111 Registered

It's pointless crap. Only an excuse for showing off the new batmobile. Style over substance. The definition of it. And the sad part is, the batmobile looks like **** in the scene, well, you can barely see it because the editing is awkward and the CGI is all over the sequence. That batmobile is pretty cool but Zack makes it look forgettable.

11. Tacit Ronin Registered

Aside from the poor writing of the scene (why does Batman need to chase the truck, he put a tracker on it), what startled me is how sloppy it is. The whole chase is mostly done in very tight shots. Making it rather confusing to tell where what is in relation to each other. It's also oddly edited. Some shots are cut way too quickly. Reducing it's impact.

This is the kind of stuff Snyder usually gets right. This was borderline garbage.

12. StarLord < < < < < < <

Also, that music is f****** unbearable.

13. shauner111 Registered

Yeah it's too much.

14. Ivan Drago Do Not Want

I give Nolan crap for TDKR but he gave us two great batmobile chases from BB and TDK. And even TDKR had a pretty decent batwing chase in the air. Much better than the dreck Snyder did in BvS.

I was actually pretty disappointed by the action in BvS, aside from the warehouse scene. That was one element I thought Snyder would nail down for sure.

#989 Ivan Drago, Feb 5, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 5, 2017
  15. shauner111 Registered

Same here.

I also love the bat pod scenes in both TDK and TDKR. Lamborghini scene in TDK as well. Nolans fights aren't the greatest thing in the world but the man knows how to shoot action and chases. Inception had great action like that too. Zack is only good at hand to hand combat, and even then I find it too stylized most of the time.

16. Spider-Aziz Farewell, Silver Perm Friend

I'm starting to think Zack Snyder should change careers from movies to video games. This scene makes me think of both Just Cause 2 and [PROTOTYPE].

17. Tacit Ronin Registered

The complete lack of weight and a sense of physics is insane. Those cars are made of rubber and springs.

18. shauner111 Registered

19. Kahran Ramsus Super Moderator

Yeah, I really dislike that fake, cartoon nonsense. I had similar issues with The Force Awakens. I think it only works in highly stylized works like Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon.

20. Tacit Ronin Registered

Snyder chasers being adamant that his films do not resemble video games have a point. Even today's video games would not display the level of cartoony physics seen in that chase scene.

21. Kane52630 Timmverse User

It's really some Fast and Furious level s***.

[​IMG]

22. Tacit Ronin Registered

Okay, watching it again, why does Batman drive himself into a ship?

He is stuck....there. For four seconds before he fires bullets to free himself. How is this conducive to the "world's greatest detective"?

23. BatLobster Trailer Timewarper

To be fair re: the physics, we did accept the Batmobile hopping rooftops in Begins.

But that chase scene is really where I think the movie lost me. I knew the movie was feeling a bit shaky up until that point, but that was where I felt myself checking out. The combination of all the blatant murder, the CGI, the fact that the whole reason for the chase seemed kind of half-baked ...to me it really just felt like a hollow, obligatory action scene that was thrown of trying to blow some stuff up in a movie that was surprisingly low on action for much of its runtime.

24. Tacit Ronin Registered

There is a difference between the Tumbler leaping a bit higher than possible and a vehicle rolling around like a dice after being banged against the batmobile.

25. shauner111 Registered

That batmobile deserves a better chase scene. Hopefully Snyder isn't the next director.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.