Civil War Captain America 3: Box Office Prediction Thread - Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
People throw around the "b" word too much in regards to MCU films. I think it's within the realm of possibility for some of these movies to cross that threshold but it's far too early to tell, only four so far have crossed the billion dollar mark and all of them featured the biggest movie star of the 21st century.

People throw around the "b" word too much in regards to MCU films. I think it's within the realm of possibility for some of these movies to cross that threshold but it's far too early to tell, only four so far have crossed the billion dollar mark and all of them featured the biggest movie star of the 21st century.

Ehh that's a stretch, he's a draw as the character but not as much as people think.

Ehh that's a stretch, he's a draw as the character but not as much as people think.

No one is a draw anymore. It's all about franchises. That said, we've not seen a Downey Iron Man appearance that didn't break $1 B in 6 years.

CW is above Skyfall now at #14, but still below ROTK.

Can it get to #10 at least?

It's gonna end up either right between Frozen & Iron Man 3 or it could go above the former to take that ninth spot. I think it may depend largely on exactly how well the incoming competition performs in the coming weeks.

It's gonna end up either right between Frozen & Iron Man 3 or it could go above the former to take that ninth spot. I think it may depend largely on exactly how well the incoming competition performs in the coming weeks.

It's not passing Frozen. I doubt it passes Iron Man 3 either. It'll settle ahead of Minions for 11th all time.

I think it will come up just short of passing iron man 3 depending on how the competition does in the following weeks

No one is a draw anymore. It's all about franchises. That said, we've not seen a Downey Iron Man appearance that didn't break $1 B in 6 years.

If that's true, the studios are wasting their money paying people like Downey. I'd be happy to be the next IM, they wouldn't have to pay me much, the franchise would flourish, and the studios would make more money. :o :cwink:

It's not passing Frozen. I doubt it passes Iron Man 3 either. It'll settle ahead of Minions for 11th all time.

Why don't you think it will pass Iron Man 3? CW is almost an Avengers movie. We wouldn't have thought that of AOU. In fact, people were predicting AOU would surpass the Avengers originally.

Why don't you think it will pass Iron Man 3? CW is almost an Avengers movie. We wouldn't have thought that of AOU. In fact, people were predicting AOU would surpass the Avengers originally.

I don't think he is referring to the movie's merit..just its box office momentum

It's finishing in the top 11-13 of all time. #SuperHeroFatigue :whatever:

I think it'll be close. So close that we will have to wait for awhile to see how it holds. I was one of those crazy people who thought it would do AoU numbers and thought AoU would be very close to the Avengers, so listening to me is pretty much a waste of time.

One thing I DO know is that whether or not a movie reaches the box office numbers I thought it would reach has absolutely NO bearing on whether or not a movie should be considered a success or failure. Ditto for the predictions of others.

It's finishing in the top 11-13 of all time. #SuperHeroFatigue :whatever:

The crappy legs indicate maybe a hint of fatigue, not the pure numbers.

For the millionth time.

The crappy legs indicate maybe a hint of fatigue, not the pure numbers.

For the millionth time.

BvS had crappy legs, this movie does not.

Iron Man 3 was the next Marvel Studio film released after the Avengers and even referenced the New York battle in the trailers.

BvS may have had crappy legs, but Gal as WW in the movie had fantastic legs. :o

It's too bad her legs were the only fantastic part about her performance... :o

Aren't its drops pretty standard?

Not compared to Marvel's other billion dollar films or to the other Captain America films.

Crappy legs was maybe too strong, but the legs are definitely weaker than you'd expect, given the argument for better legs than the likes of AoU and IM3 was that it was getting great reviews. Kind of surprising that it has turned out the opposite.

If that's true, the studios are wasting their money paying people like Downey. I'd be happy to be the next IM, they wouldn't have to pay me much, the franchise would flourish, and the studios would make more money. :o :cwink:

Downey's draw dwindles immensely without the armor. Downey's worth the money as Iron Man, but put him in any other indie movie, or a different franchise, and his name isn't the guaranteed draw that say, Tom Cruise's was in the 90s.

That's less of an indictment of Downey's star, and more a state of the film industry. You don't just put a gun in your star's hands and stick him in a generic action movie, or team him with a leading woman and stick him in a generic romantic comedy and get great grosses on the back of his name draw. Most hit movies are adaptations of source material, and the franchise is the star.

It's too bad her legs were the only fantastic part about her performance... :o

Says you. :o

And I agree wholly about Downey. Yes, he is a draw, but only to a certain degree. An excellent example of that is the box office performance of The Judge.

Not compared to Marvel's other billion dollar films or to the other Captain America films.

Crappy legs was maybe too strong, but the legs are definitely weaker than you'd expect, given the argument for better legs than the likes of AoU and IM3 was that it was getting great reviews. Kind of surprising that it has turned out the opposite.

I think the problem is that there is a LOT of competition from the same genre coming along is such a short time. We had X-Men last week, Turtles 2 (Ugh) this week....it's forcing those who maybe would have seen it a 2nd or 3rd time to spend their money elsewhere.
Me, I care nothing about Apocalypse. Thought it looked like crap from the outset. Turtles...no. Just no.
Luckily, my kids asked to go see Cap3 again this weekend. I asked them if they'd rather see Angry Birds or Turtles (because I don't want them changing their minds when we get there), and they said no. They want "more Spider-Man and Captain America and Black Panther and Iron Man".

Man, I'm blessed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kathielee
Back