DC August '07 Solicitations

I was reading JSA at the time, that's why I clearly specified which covers I was talking about and the time frame of those covers.
To the contrary, you referred to his JSA covers "for the last 3 years," a timeframe which includes 68-72, implying that you believed every JSA cover he's done in the past three years (presumably meaning the time period between May 2004 and May 2007) was a single character against a black backdrop. Unfortunately for your argument, JSA 68 was cover-dated February 2005, and JSA 72 was cover-dated June of the same year.

Darthphere said:
Also, I'm ****ing tired of people just failing to mention that Alex Ross is painting over Doug Braithwaithe's pencils on Justice.
Not the point. I wasn't holding up Justice as a barometer of Ross's skill. I was pointing to it as a current example of something he's doing that isn't single characters on black backdrops.

But it's the ****ing JLA! Wow, are you being dense on purpose?

I guess you and all other Alex Ross fans are the only message board posters with clear faces, nice houses, and mad drawing skillz. :huh: :up:
On the contrary, I'm a college student and I've never even tried to draw seriously. The difference is, I don't project my shortcomings onto those more talented than me. Instead, I put my creative energy into arenas where I can succeed. If more fanboy nerds would do the same, the traffic on messageboards would decrease by half.

On the contrary, I'm a college student and I've never even tried to draw seriously. The difference is, I don't project my shortcomings onto those more talented than me. Instead, I put my creative energy into arenas where I can succeed. If more fanboy nerds would do the same, the traffic on messageboards would decrease by half.
So, all Ross haters are failing artists then? I'm pretty sure Darth isn't an artist. Just as an example.

We can do that right now. I'll stay, you can go. See 50%.:word:

So, all Ross haters are failing artists then? I'm pretty sure Darth isn't an artist. Just as an example.

Not in the conventional way at least. I dabble in some of the digital arts. Either way, I'm not even a Ross hater, I just want him to do something different. Something original. That's it.

Nothing I'm really excited for in the month of August. The one thing that they have listed that I'll probably get is an advance solicit... The Absolute Sandman Vol. 2.

This thread = infinite entertainment. :up:

Fight on, Darth! ASSHAT 4 Life, yo'!

Did Tim Bradstreet get this kind of bull**** for "only doing Hellblazer covers"?

Well he also did and does Punisher covers and assorted indie comic stuff. But in the case of Bradstreet, he is primarily a cover artist so it's not really a fair comparison is it?

I mean, lets compare him to Esad Ribic, or James Jean or Paolo Rivera. Who constantly push the limits of their art to new and different places. Alex Ross needs to step up and do something that will wow us once again.

I'm hoping thats a rhetorical question and you don't actually expect me to answer that.

While there was just a hint of sarcasm in that, what else could Alex Ross do? Kingdom Come was amazing looking. It still is. But everything after that can only be compared to that. What I'm asking is: What could Alex Ross do to push the envelope or step it up? I think he's made a step in the right direction with the women on the Justice League cover looking like women.

While there was just a hint of sarcasm in that, what else could Alex Ross do? Kingdom Come was amazing looking. It still is. But everything after that can only be compared to that. What I'm asking is: What could Alex Ross do to push the envelope or step it up? I think he's made a step in the right direction with the women on the Justice League cover looking like women.

How about stop painting the Justice League all together?:huh:

But you gotta understand, he loves the Justice League. More than a friend.

The thing that kinda gets on my nerves is when people act as if Ross isn't even a good artist. I mean, Rob Liefield isn't a good artist. Humberto Ramos isn't a good artist. They can't even draw ****ing people correctly let alone illustrate compelling narratives. Ross, however, can do that. He does do that. He's - inarguably - a solid artist. He doesn't have any major flaws in his technique.

Now, you might not like his style (I'm not a big fan of myself), you may think he's become stale in how he does his work (I'll agree I'm sick of the JSA covers :o), but to act like he's some truly irredeemable artists? That's just untrue. It's not an opinion, it's not a matter of taste, it's fact; Alex Ross CAN draw.

I agree. I love Alex Ross. I just dislike his tendency to make his women look like really, really, really bad drag queens.

The thing that kinda gets on my nerves is when people act as if Ross isn't even a good artist. I mean, Rob Liefield isn't a good artist. Humberto Ramos isn't a good artist. They can't even draw ****ing people correctly let alone illustrate compelling narratives. Ross, however, can do that. He does do that. He's - inarguably - a solid artist. He doesn't have any major flaws in his technique.

Now, you might not like his style (I'm not a big fan of myself), you may think he's become stale in how he does his work (I'll agree I'm sick of the JSA covers :o), but to act like he's some truly irredeemable artists? That's just untrue. It's not an opinion, it's not a matter of taste, it's fact; Alex Ross CAN draw.

This post is about a day late and a dollar short. As has been said many times now, his talent as an artist isn't the problem.

Humberto Ramos is a good artist. Don't confuse stylistic choices with technical skill. Liefeld: bad artist, good style (he apes Jim Lee, which isn't the worst style to try and pattern your art on). Ramos: good artist, bad style.

Has nothing to do with them disagreeing with me. Much more to do with them being zit-faced mom's-basement-dwellers, half of whom draw terrible fan art and then prance it around the internet as if it were God's gift to comics, and think it gives them some kind of artistic credential, a license to bash on artists a million times more talented than they will ever be.

:huh:

Yeah, art is subjective and all that. I mean, I was looking through a Bachalo issue of X-Men just yesterday and thought his art looked pretty damn good. Kinetic and fast paced. I just think it's funny how I'm being labeled as a Ross hater when that's far from the truth. I have one of his JLA posters hanging on my wall. I just want to see him try something new, do a ****ing zombie book or something. :dry:

Aristrotle is clearly Alex Ross.

To be fair their aren't many comic artists who draw people correctly. In fact the same "big hands" and disproportions tend to be pretty much consistent throughout comics. That idealizing of the human form. While I don't know about Liefield, I'd imagine at least Humberto Ramos can draw people correctly...in fact he probably went through the same anatomy and still life classes as most artists...but chooses not to for his own personal style. Looking back as Bachalo, who was once a Lee clone, we can see that artists change the way they draw considerably over the course of their careers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"