Game of Thrones - HBO part 2 - Part 9

Status
Not open for further replies.
To be fair, real-life thrones, including thrones that ruled a hell lot more than the **** hole that is Westeros, were fairly modest. Anyone seen King Edward's Chair?

Not much to look at.

It was originally painted gold and guilded so 800 years ago it a little nicer.

The Iron Throne doesn't have its own Stone of destiny does it?

Last edited:
Come on, it may not be as confortable but the iron throne is much more badass than king Edward's

I arguments there.

I would love to see a picture of the queen sitting on something like the iron throne lol

She would look fabulously badass :o

Supposed to be a thousand blades, those look well over a thousand.
It's certainly closer to a thousand swords than the throne in the show, i don't even think that one had a hundred swords, let alone a thousand.

For those that read the books how many seasons do you think the 4th and 5th books will take? I remember people saying it was only going to be partially used in season 4 and the rest would be done in season 5, but from the legth it looks like it would take some 3 seasons. Is there that much filler in those 2 books?

it's certainly closer to a thousand swords than the throne in the show, i don't even think that one had a hundred swords, let alone a thousand.

For those that read the books how many seasons do you think the 4th and 5th books will take? I remember people saying it was only going to be partially used in season 4 and the rest would be done in season 5, but from the legth it looks like it would take some 3 seasons. is there that much filler in those 2 books?

Yes.

It's certainly closer to a thousand swords than the throne in the show, i don't even think that one had a hundred swords, let alone a thousand.

For those that read the books how many seasons do you think the 4th and 5th books will take? I remember people saying it was only going to be partially used in season 4 and the rest would be done in season 5, but from the legth it looks like it would take some 3 seasons. Is there that much filler in those 2 books?

There's a bunch of stuff that seems like filler. However with GRRM you never know. The 3rd random soldier on the left could be the most critical dude ever. So it's hard to say at this point. I would be would be willing to bet that books 4 and 5 could be done over two seasons pretty easily. The story might actually be better for the trimming done. A Dance With Dragons (while good) really needed a proper editing job.

Isn't there an episode in the show between (I want to say) Littlefinger and Varys where that gets pointed out that the throne isn't made up of as nearly as many swords as the legends make it out to be? Or am I mis-remembering?

It's there, it was before Littlefinger's "climb" speech.

Isn't there an episode in the show between (I want to say) Littlefinger and Varys where that gets pointed out that the throne isn't made up of as nearly as many swords as the legends make it out to be? Or am I mis-remembering?
From what i heard it's not in the books. Littlefinger says he counted it and it's not even 200 swords if i remember it right

Yeah, I think that was how it went. I think that was the start of Varys pointing out how their friendship is a rivalry or something.

I don't think they're going to start off with it, since they still have to introduce characters who are present at the wedding, like Mace Tyrell and Oberyn Martell. I'd say it will happen in the third episode, the fourth at the very latest.

Heres an interesting article about the two songs they've used on the show:

http://www.vulture.com/2013/07/game-of-thrones-behind-the-music.html

It explains that the choice to play the upbeat rock version of "The Bear and the Maiden Fair" immediately after [BLACKOUT]Jaime gets his hand chopped off[/BLACKOUT] was an homage to the end of "An American Werewolf In London" when they play "Blue Moon" over the end credits. Really has almost the same effect.

True, no doubt Oberyn will be introduced in the first episode. It's just from where the first half of season 3 ended according to the structure of the book, not much happens after except Dany's POV, the (BOOK SPOILERS)
battle at Castle Black and Ygritte's death, which I think will be in the first episode and then Joffrey's wedding.
So I'm guessing they'll just be building on what was added in season 3 (which were great additions when reading the book now)

Think we'll learn
Ser Jorah acted as an informant to Vary's in the first episode?

Westeros was conquered because of the Targaryen's dragons. It deserves to have a throne that's badass.

Agreed. All King Edward had was an army of griffons and a couple of pterodactyls, like some punk. :mad:

Considering King Edward 1st killed a s*** load of English Barons, English rebels, Welshmen, Scotsmen, Muslims in the Crusades and expelling the Jews from England (while keeping all their possessions) I'm sure he had enough swords for his own Iron Throne if he wanted one.

Considering King Edward 1st killed a s*** load of English Barons, English rebels, Welshmen, Scotsmen, Muslims in the Crusades and expelling the Jews from England (while keeping all their possessions) I'm sure he had enough swords for his own Iron Throne if he wanted one.

He makes Tywin Lannister look like Martin Luther King Jr.

It's beleived that Edward I was actually inspiration for Tywin Lannister.

Personally I would have made the throne out of a dragon's skull.

There were no dragon skulls at the time though. Balerion, Meraxes, and Vhagar were the only dragons that survived the Doom of Valyria. The skull of Balerion used to be displayed behind the Iron Throne though.

There's a bunch of stuff that seems like filler. However with GRRM you never know. The 3rd random soldier on the left could be the most critical dude ever. So it's hard to say at this point. I would be would be willing to bet that books 4 and 5 could be done over two seasons pretty easily. The story might actually be better for the trimming done. A Dance With Dragons (while good) really needed a proper editing job.
If they took some 3 seasons with those 2 books then they would be buying some much needed time for GRRM to release the next books. If that happened would each season be too slow and uneventful?

The thing with AFFC and especially ADWD is that they're much more reflective than the first 3 books. For instance a good chunk of ADWD is set in the North post-Red Wedding, dealing with certain characters trying move past the grief and loss of what happened in book 3. It's slower, and I'm unsure if the audience will appreciate a slow mournful season of reflection.

Take away GRRM's hot pockets until he finishes the next book

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Francuz231
Back