Henry Cavill IS Superman: - Part 10

Status
Not open for further replies.
Russell Crowe's voice sounds really great in that teaser, I would have never thought that it would sound so good.

I have never liked the idea that Jor-El sends his son to earth to be a savior. It makes it sound like he is selflessly giving his son away for some greater good which is not the case. His planet is dying and Jor-El's dying wish is that he wants his only son to survive and live on. That is why I like Birthright so much.

BR is a very good origin story. The only thing I dislike from that story is soul vision. That totally blows.

i think jor el's message comes across more powerful and the teaser back up this claim

I just hope this speech is not in the movie. I think it's fiine for the teaser, but I do not want Jor-El sending his some to earth to be a savior. His reasoning should be to save him. Yet, because he is aware that Earth will likely give his son extraordinary powers, it's okay to say "be good" and be a good person. Yet, that should be it.

BR is a very good origin story. The only thing I dislike from that story is soul vision. That totally blows.
never read it because of that, plus i was not fond of the artist that they used for that story

Wow seriously? I mean it's such a minor thing, it's not like a massive plot point. And it's just a way of visualising his unique way of seeing how precious life is. Never bothered me in the slightest :confused:

If I could change anything in Birthright it would be the Clark/Lex childhood friends stuff. I don't hate it, but I just think it would have been better without it. Still spend some time looking at why Lex's life has sucked, but just do it without Clark involved.

Yeah the soul vision is quite a small detail, I didn't get caught up on it. I definitely understand if the art isn't up your street, I know it shouldn't but art I can't stand has put me off a few comics. I'd try and get past your reservations with the art though, I'm pretty sure Birthright became known as Superman's unofficial new canon because of how good it was.

Wow seriously? I mean it's such a minor thing, it's not like a massive plot point. And it's just a way of visualising his unique way of seeing how precious life is. Never bothered me in the slightest :confused:

If I could change anything in Birthright it would be the Clark/Lex childhood friends stuff. I don't hate it, but I just think it would have been better without it. Still spend some time looking at why Lex's life has sucked, but just do it without Clark involved.
My thoughts exactly. I've never cared for the Clark/Lex childhood friends angle in any incarnation. But I completely love pretty much everything else about Birthright (including the art), and it's still my favorite Supes origin story.

My thoughts exactly. I've never cared for the Clark/Lex childhood friends angle in any incarnation. But I completely love pretty much everything else about Birthright (including the art), and it's still my favorite Supes origin story.

Yeah, I mean it worked for Smallville and it was a really cool dynamic for the first couple of seasons, but even in that context it flailed a lot towards the end.

People made too much of the soul vision in Birthright its not even mentioned that much and I didn't mind it. Infact it works very well in the opening scene with the character Kobe. It adds to the emotional impact.

The artwork in BR was not to my liking, but it didn't stop me from enjoying the story. I also understand some people like soul vision (OMG just typing that makes me cringe), but for me it BLOWS! The reason I say this is I think they could have left it out and made the point that Superman values life without it. As an additional power it sucks....and I never want to see it again.

edit: I also was not a fan of Lex and Clark knowing each other, but I've seen it before and it didn't bother me that much. I thought it made Lex and his motivations more three dimensional.

Last edited:
My problem with it is how a genius like Luthor could not know it was Clark?

Last edited:
So, I just watched Centurion. The movie sucked and was boring But Fassbender was pretty good in it. This is what I don't understand about the excuses for Cavill in Immortals. If you can act you would still shine somewhat in a bad movie. I am in a wait and see mode of his performance. Now I know Fassbender is a much MUCH better actor than Cavill but Cavill is an average actor.

I just hope this speech is not in the movie. I think it's fiine for the teaser, but I do not want Jor-El sending his some to earth to be a savior. His reasoning should be to save him. Yet, because he is aware that Earth will likely give his son extraordinary powers, it's okay to say "be good" and be a good person. Yet, that should be it.

What's wrong with the soul vision thing? It made me understand more deeply why Clark cares so much for life.

So, I just watched Centurion. The movie sucked and was boring But Fassbender was pretty good in it. This is what I don't understand about the excuses for Cavill in Immortals. If you can act you would still shine somewhat in a bad movie. I am in a wait and see mode of his performance. Now I know Fassbender is a much MUCH better actor than Cavill but Cavill is an average actor.

Immortals plays up Cavill's physical aspects rather than his acting. If you want a good example of Cavill's acting, go for the first three seasons of "The Tudors." It's a very underrated performance compared to Jonathan Rhys-Meyers' more forceful leading role.

What's wrong with the soul vision thing? It made me understand more deeply why Clark cares so much for life.

Because Clark should care about life without it.

This... and it's not needed. The same point could have been expressed without giving...I won't type it again. It's just too cringe worthy.

Last edited:
Immortals plays up Cavill's physical aspects rather than his acting. If you want a good example of Cavill's acting, go for the first three seasons of "The Tudors." It's a very underrated performance compared to Jonathan Rhys-Meyers' more forceful leading role.

I agree with this. I remember when I watched the movie for the first time on Netflix I kept thinking he would make a good Superman just from watching him fight with Rourke. Plus, he was gorgeous to look at :woot:

I cannot get into the Tudors. It's my bete noire of TV history trash.

He would probably still care about life without it, but that was a cool visual thing that was never done before when it came to Superman.

Just because it hasn't been done doesn't mean it should have been done. :cwink:

I just don't like it and for me it was unnecessary.

My problem with it is how a genius like Luthor could not know it was Clark?

I kind of liked Morrison's explanation of it being Lex's ego. Clark seems so insignificant that he barely puts any thought into him. Ultimately that's why Lex loses all the time. His narcissism. He's a man who thinks he's a god, where Superman is the very opposite of that.

That's not enough. Even I didn't care anything about someone, I would still know them when I saw them.

For me the only way this has ever made sense is because I think Luthor is is more in awe of Superman then anyone else. He is literally blinded to the truth right in front of him. It's the same with Lois Lane. They both are so in awe of Superman they can't think of him as a "normal" human. Plus, the fact that no one thinks Superman has secret identity because he doesn't wear a mask.

Personally I thought Cavill did shine in Immortals. He and Mickey Rourke made that film for me.

But I don't think it's neccesary to compare him to Fassbender. Fassbender is one of the best actors i've seen. I don't need Cavill to be that good.

All Cavill has to do for me is be as good an actor as, for example, Chris Hemsworth. Which I think he very much is.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"