The Dark Knight Rises How many years should WB wait before making a Batman reboot?

Nolan is just a single version of Batman who used a limited amount of villains and strories.

Why would you stop making Batman movies when there's so much more Batman to explore in so many different ways?

and a shot for shot remake of Nolans movies? lmao, someone needs to read some comics and take some imagination pills.

Indeed. The 'franchises should only be rebooted if they hit rock bottom' argument doesn't hold water here, because Nolan doesn't want to see his Batman continue. He's ending his story with TDK Rises. It's his last. He wants to preserve his continuity, which is very specific in terms of 'realism'. Batman is about change/variety and asking future directors to direct like someone else and even remake their previous films is silly, insulting and boring.

Last edited:
Exactly; the character's history is way too rich and diverse to be limited by any singular vision. Otherwise it becomes old hat and something that people no longer care for due to it outdoing it's welcome.

This is something that will still be around when many of us are dead. The comics have endured because of constant reinventions and reinterpretations every decade since the 1939 debut. The addition of new elements to the mythos through all of those different eras has helped Batman sustain himself as a large element of pop culture. The same should apply to any other form of media using the same foundations.

As for the poll question; I personally think 5-6 yrs is not only the most realistic option on there but also probably the healthiest one. It gives it enough distance from the previous iteration to have it's own space and also enough time to be redefined for a new generation of movie goers.

3-4 years. Tim Burton should direct his third Batman movie and Michael Keaton as Batman again.

It's funny how people complain that a 5-year-gap is too short to make a reboot when it comes to the Spider-Man franchise, yet the most of you want the Batman franchise to be rebooted after only 3-4 years :)

A decade. No need to reboot what isnt broken. Not this soon. Not every single Batman film series is going to be epic like this, that happens once in a while. Let them go for Man of Steel movies for a decade, and than come back to Batman later. Rushing into another reboot can take us backwards...

Sorry, but the Nolan series is broken. Maybe not horribly irredeemable, but it's nowhere near perfect or sacred.

It's funny how people complain that a 5-year-gap is too short to make a reboot when it comes to the Spider-Man franchise, yet the most of you want the Batman franchise to be rebooted after only 3-4 years :)
You're making the assumption that the people posting in this thread were opposed to the Spider-Man reboot.

Anyway, I'm with Majik on this. Nolan has provided us with very good Batman films up until this point, but there are aspects that I believe can be improved upon. And as I've said in another thread, I'm a Batman fan first and foremost. So long as WB continues to bring in the very best talent, I don't care how often they dish Batman films out. I want as many in my lifetime as I can get.

I say bring the budget down and tell a Batman story on a much smaller scale. Approach the film as a detective story while maintaining the action side of the character. I want to see a live-action Batman that warrants the title "world's greatest detective."

Last edited:
I want a mix of strong detective and sci-fi elements (Mr.Freeze, Clayface).

Plus iconic Batman imagery.

I'd like it set in the near future, a futuristic noir with an older, already experienced and grizzled Batman.

And it has to be completely different from Nolan's take, tone and style wise. I can't stress that enough.

I think they should wait at least 5 years.

3-4 years for sure. WB has already secured Nolan as producer it seems. No surprise there. They've got a billion dollar franchise on their hands.

Willing to bet the next set of films will keep his gritty, hyperrealistic style. It's a formula that sells and WB knows it.

I think he'll 'mentor' the next director, just as he did for Synder on Man of Steel. I expect Goyer and crew to still be involved on the script.

Sorry, but the Nolan series is broken. Maybe not horribly irredeemable, but it's nowhere near perfect or sacred.

I'd say that's your opinion. Which you are absolutely entitled to.
Batman & Robin was broken.
The studio would probably say as long as it makes money it doesn't need fixing.
No way is Nolan's version perfect, but it's my favorite so far.
Most critics and fans love it, so I think calling it broken in general is unfair.

As over-hyped as it can be at times, it's great because the next team has to top it. That is basically assuring us a great (and hopefully even better) version.

Then die.

I just watched an interview with Michael Uslan on SPACE network and he comments on how he is in awe of what Nolan has done in making Bruce Wayne a real character, and turning Batman into a property that isn't a 'comicbook film' per say, but a great film in general.

I really don't think Warner Bros are going to change the Nolan formula with the films beyond TDKR. It's almost a step backwards to go to the fantasy/stylistic comicbook approach.

Batman will stay grounded in gritty hyper-realism for as long as it's profitable and critically successful to do so.

The Nolan-verse is suited for Nolan's directing style. If someone attempted to copy it it could possible end up like Superman Returns and it's flawed imitation of the Donner-verse.

Warner Bros would be morons to make the same mistake twice.

I really don't think Warner Bros are going to change the Nolan formula with the films beyond TDKR. It's almost a step backwards to go to the fantasy/stylistic comicbook approach.

Batman will stay grounded in gritty hyper-realism for as long as it's profitable and critically successful to do so.

I agree, WB will keep Nolan as a producer and Goyer as a writer for Batman movies and use realistic approach.

If they do make a JL movie, be prepared to see a different actor than the one who will carry the realistic Nolan approach and who will replace Bale.

IN JL movie a different version of Batman will be needed to keep up with superheroes.

Or just no do the realistic approach. There is no real financial risk involved because it's Batman.

So instead of copying a former directors vision, they should show creative integrity and allow whoever the next director is to do what he wants.

Or just no do the realistic approach. There is no real financial risk involved because it's Batman.

So instead of copying a former directors vision, they should show creative integrity and allow whoever the next director is to do what he wants.

"BU Bu but this 'realistic approach' is the only way Batman can makez WB any $ kant u see that they never made a lot of money off the character before this?" :whatever:

The Nolan-verse is suited for Nolan's directing style. If someone attempted to copy it it could possible end up like Superman Returns and it's flawed imitation of the Donner-verse.

Warner Bros would be morons to make the same mistake twice.

Richard Donner wasn't the producer of Superman Returns and Singer's "directing style" wasn't one of the problematic issues for SR.

It's a flawed comparison.

If anything it's closer to what WB is doing now with Man of Steel. Chris Nolan is mentoring Snyder's approach. Zack is going for a more realistic and gritty approach, as opposed to his usual stylistic crap.

Realistic + gritty = worst possible way to do a Superman story... ever.

Snyder was brought on because of his "stylistic crap". It's his strength and something that was sorely missed in Superman Returns. You think WB would hire Snyder then tell him he can't do the thing he is primarily good at, which is amazing visuals?

Yeah, stylistic is the way to go with superman, the only thing i wish is that they don't overuse slow mo, that's the only thing i don't like about his stylistic way, and too much slow mo made many fights in Smallville become laughably bad

Thing with Superman is, slow mo is needed to display his speed, really. I mean it's a great way of showing how fast he is.

Imagine him and Zod fighting at what appears to be normal speed... but the rest of the world is practically frozen. That is the best way to demonstrate the famous Superman "speed blitz".

My point is, slow mo shouldn't be used just for style, it should be used in a practical way to show the characters powers. Like how they did in the Matrix.

That's what i mean, i said i hope they don't overuse slow mo, in my opinion slow mo should allways be used to show something important or something that would be too fast for the audience to understand, the thing is, in smallville they overused it in some ways, the worst was the fight between Clark and Zod in the end of season 9, where they basically slow mo everything, from one of them falling to one of them punching the other.

Richard Donner wasn't the producer of Superman Returns and Singer's "directing style" wasn't one of the problematic issues for SR.

It's a flawed comparison.

If anything it's closer to what WB is doing now with Man of Steel. Chris Nolan is mentoring Snyder's approach. Zack is going for a more realistic and gritty approach, as opposed to his usual stylistic crap.

It's not a flawed comparison. You try to to recreate the magic of someone else's style of storytelling and it could ruin the movie completely.

No one knows the advantages of Nolan-verse like Nolan himself. If someone tries to imitate his vision it won't feel genuine.

It's better to wipe the slate clean and try a fresh approach from a talented director and writer. Sky's the limit.

Last edited:
Yea, no director worth a damn would want to limit themselves to a previous directors vision.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"