Justice League Justice League: News and Speculation - - - - Part 13

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes. At least from the perspective of catering to the masses, the new Batman needs to be distanced from Bale.

I don't agree Shep, even David Goyer said in an interview that in these times Christian Bale would always be his Batman. There are many others who share that same opinion. Any new Batman would always be compared to Bale and if they don't pass that test it could mean box office disaster. Why go through that when bale is still young enough to play in that role?

I don't agree Shep, even David Goyer said in an interview that in these times Christian Bale would always be his Batman. There are many others who share that same opinion. Any new Batman would always be compared to Bale and if they don't pass that test it could mean box office disaster. Why go through that when bale is still young enough to play in that role?

Because Bale's Batman is over

Yeah its over and ended with a weird unsatisying conclusion. I agree with Shikamaru that BB and TDK were building toward something that TDKR undid. What a bitter taste left over. I always liked TDKR because I never believed it was a true end just a hiatus. Now I dislike it even more.

I think its a mistake to do this when they don't necessarily have to. Just because Nolan wants to be remembered as the guy who made a completed Batman story. Blah. what a waste. I dont need to see another origin and I feel it will make the DCU incomplete without one, yet has one for Superman that bares some resemblance to BB

Yeah its over and ended with a weird unsatisying conclusion. I agree with Shikamaru that BB and TDK were building toward something that TDKR undid. What a bitter taste left over. I always liked TDKR because I never believed it was a true end just a hiatus. Now I dislike it even more.

I think its a mistake to do this when they don't necessarily have to. Just because Nolan wants to be remembered as the guy who made a completed Batman story. Blah. what a waste. I dont need to see another origin and I feel it will make the DCU incomplete without one, yet has one for Superman that bares some resemblance to BB

It should be very easy to pull a James Bond and move forward without reference to Nolan's batman movies yet ride on the knowledge it delivered that most people get the gist of one of the most popular fictional characters of all time.

Yep, we told you so. ;)

The most annoying thing is when people are in denial despite the evidence, hope some of you avoid the same mistake next time. :word:

Besides MOS2, WB should try to reboot Batman with his own film before JL.

I know this sounds impossible, but WB really needs to get Cavill and whoever the rebooted Batman actor is locked into a six film contract. Three solo films, World's Finest, and two Justice League films.

:up: All the way. TDKR betrayed TDK, and this news from Goyer only increases my indifference to TDKR.

I'm hoping for one of two things: 1) In the next Batman franchise, some director takes TDK's message further and truly expands the character's mythos. Not in a continuity sense but rather in a storytelling sense. 2) Or, in 10 years, we get a modified film version of The Dark Knight Returns. Joker is recast (at that point, I don't think people will mind), Blake is dead, and Bale and Oldman both return to their roles. We get the true sequel to TDK.

Neither will probably happen, but as fanboys, we can always dream.

I know this sounds impossible, but WB really needs to get Cavill and whoever the rebooted Batman actor is locked into a six film contract. Three solo films, World's Finest, and two Justice League films.
Worked for Marvel. Although you wouldn't be able to get anyone too well known.

Worked for Marvel. Although you wouldn't be able to get anyone too well known.

Well, I don't want anybody too well known anyway. Christian Bale wasn't really a household name prior to Batman Begins. Neither was Daniel Craig before he was cast as James Bond. Sure they had cult following, but that's not exactly on the level as being a national celebrity.

Ill have to disagree with you guys on that. TDKR was an extremely satisfying conclusion to a lot of people, myself included..and ive been a Batman fan my entire life. It's not because im just some "Nolanite".

Could they have expanded on that ending? Obviously, otherwise why would I have been arguing that point for the last 6 months. But it wasa different take on Batman. It didn't cater to the fanboys and purists, it went its own direction, and this version it was building towards Bruce passing the mantle to somebody else and finally returning to that peaceful place he was in, in the opening shots of Batman Begins.

It was a beautiful bookend. The first thing we see is Bruce (with a female friend) as a child happy with a great life ahead of him. And the first time we see Bale as an adult Bruce Wayne? It's a close-up shot of his face, distressed, lock in a prison.

The end of the trilogy? The last shot of Bruce is of him (with a female friend) now as a grown, matured man with a great life ahead of him. The last shot of Bale? A distant shot of his face, smiling, free in the outdoors. Ending it where it began.

I don't care what the haters say, it's my favorite ending. And even though ill always think of Bale and Cavill together, I said I would move on when the reboot was announced. Im a man of my worrrrrddd! :yay:

No use harping about it. In fact, I still think Bale could return to play another version of the character, exclusive to JLA until they recast him in solo movies. But..

Now that the news is out there, Shika is right. And i'd still do jumping jacks if Bale was announced tomorrow as returning, but I believe in destiny. And if TDKT is not meant to link up with Gods, Aliens, Meta-Humans, Monsters, Magic, etc...then it's just the way it is. Shika must have been right then. Maybe the Batman in this JL is meant to be the Bruce Timm/Grant Morrison batman of the comics & animation. The "World's Greatest Detective" with the super-genius mind who doesn't rely on Fox. Younger & in his prime. Year-two or three in his career. Arkham-Batman. A Bruce Wayne that could coincide with a Bat-Family (something Bale didn't want to do) as well as other super-heroes.

That's what Batman was doing during his 8 year absence..there were no sightings of him in Gotham, cause he was in space with the League.

Well, I don't want anybody too well known anyway. Christian Bale wasn't really a household name prior to Batman Begins. Neither was Daniel Craig before he was cast as James Bond. Sure they had cult following, but that's not exactly on the level as being a national celebrity.
Yeah, I'd say the same for the main Avengers characters. These contracts are important for the DC/JL universe to have some early stability so I hope they can get them.

That's what Batman was doing during his 8 year absence..there were no sightings of him in Gotham, cause he was in space with the League.
If you're not joking..i actually think they could have done this.

Set the DCU from Man Of Steel to a Justice League in between the events of TDK & TDKR. And the Flash, Wonder Woman and Superman solos in between them. Ending with Superman's death in MOS 3 right before Bruce becomes a recluse & shuts down the energy project.

Have MOS set right after TDK. A Wonder Woman origin takes place before all of this, on Themyscira, ending with Diana being brought to America.

8 years is a long time. This whole new DCU may even be done over the span of a decade.

Ugh... Still with Batman? Me want the Flash! The three picture deal Goyer signed hopefully will include the Flash!!

6 picture deals is highly improbable unless these actors were picked straight out of Julliard or the Royal Shakespeare Academy? or some other prestigious school. Should be 3 JL and 2 solo movies with an option to extend.

The Hall that WB will be using at Comic-Con will be packed I can see it now.

If you're not joking..i actually think they could have done this.

Set the DCU from Man Of Steel to a Justice League in between the events of TDK & TDKR. And the Flash, Wonder Woman and Superman solos in between them. Ending with Superman's death in MOS 3 right before Bruce becomes a recluse & shuts down the energy project.

Have MOS set right after TDK. A Wonder Woman origin takes place before all of this, on Themyscira, ending with Diana being brought to America.

8 years is a long time. This whole new DCU may even be done over the span of a decade.

I always chose to believe that Bruce DIDN'T retire the night Dent died, but rather continued on fighting quietly in the shadows with the help of the EMP tech Lucius developed. Remember the whole silent guardian and watchful protector comment. At least for about four or five more years until the Dent act was past and the remained 500 criminals were caught. Remember they locked up 500 in TDK, and by TDKR over 1000 were in Blackgate. Otherwise we're asked to believe he only fought crime for a year and I don't see how that can be. Hell even the apparition of Ra's told Bruce that he fought the decadence of Gotham for years.

Anyways, I love the idea Shauner.....very much. Sadly though Goyer, Nolan, and Bale don't seem to. So alas it's time we move on. I can't believe I'm actually having to say this. :(

I'm over it all already. ...sort of. Have no other choice!

Ugh... Still with Batman? Me want the Flash! The three picture deal Goyer signed hopefully will include the Flash!!

6 picture deals is highly improbable unless these actors were picked straight out of Julliard or the Royal Shakespeare Academy? or some other prestigious school. Should be 3 JL and 2 solo movies with an option to extend.

The three picture deal will be strictly for Superman. I'm starting to have my doubt that JL will ever see the light of day. Guys, don't be surprised if these three pictures ends up being a standalone Superman trilogy ala TDK. This wouldn't completely bother me either because Superman certainly deserves it. It's going to take a a lot of legwork to get JL off the ground. Is the mind frame of Warner still too shaken after the GL movie to take a chance on Wonder Woman or Flash?

It's not. It's MOS 2 and JL.

I'm over it all already. ...sort of. Have no other choice!
Same attitude I have.

I always chose to believe that Bruce DIDN'T retire the night Dent died, but rather continued on fighting quietly in the shadows with the help of the EMP tech Lucius developed. Remember the whole silent guardian and watchful protector comment. At least for about four or five more years until the Dent act was past and the remained 500 criminals were caught. Remember they locked up 500 in TDK, and by TDKR over 1000 were in Blackgate. Otherwise we're asked to believe he only fought crime for a year and I don't see how that can be. Hell even the apparition of Ra's told Bruce that he fought the decadence of Gotham for years.

Anyways, I love the idea Shauner.....very much. Sadly though Goyer, Nolan, and Bale don't seem to. So alas it's time we move on. I can't believe I'm actually having to say this. :(
Same here.

I honestly don't think WB even thought about it since in the movie they pass it off like Batman hasn't been reported by anyone in 8 years. I bet WB just asked Nolan to bring Bruce back after the events of TDKR.

I don't think it would take 5 years to get the remaining 500 off the street. I think 2 or 3 years of Bruce in the shadows as Batman, followed by a couple of years retired with the Dent Act in place trying to get the energy project going. Followed by Bruce shutting it down, becoming a recluse for the remaining 3 years until Bane comes to Gotham.

So Batman could have been under the radar and dealing with more personal threats that don't include the entire city. Think Riddler & Penguin (who were both referenced in TDK viral marketing).

They could have squeezed the DCU in the 8 year gap by killing off Superman before the events of TDKR and disbanding the entire team. Hal leaves earth, Diana goes home to her island, maybe Barry dies or retires in a JL movie. Martian Manhunter leaves earth as well and Batman comes out of retirement because Gotham is under siege by the new League of Shadows. Batman's role would be more secretive in a JLA as well, way out of sight.

Last edited:
A Batman cameo in MoS 2 is just going to be gimmicky and come off as an MCU ripoff. DC can't win either way. They did this to themselves. Their marketing of Bats/Supes echoes the sentiments of the casual audiences. These heroes work alone. They don't need to team up with each other. They stand alone just fine because they are that iconic and are better for it. That's why Nolan's Batman works. That's how MoS was pitched until the studio forced Snyder's hand (after Avengers) to make MoS more amenable to a DCCU. The point is, Batman shouldn't be cameoing just to branch off into "coming attractions".

The character needs to be completely reinvented. But go the Bat-God route, and the character loses his humaneness and vulnerability. Too grounded, it's a retread. Arkham Asylum style would seem like the best bet, but does it mean re-using Joker already? I just get the impression this entire DCCU setup is ill-conceived and has been mishandled from the start, simply because it is an impulse reaction to a major rival studio. I just don't see how Batman is going to be reinvented after such a successful adaptation. If it's going to be another equivalent to ASM then fine, I guess that would be acceptable with a lot people. I just think the priority needs to shift to the other characters and potential solo franchises. You can't setup a JL movie with just the two major pillars. Stick with the sci-fi route, downplay the superhero angle/formula, and a lot of these more elaborate DC characters can come to life.

Last edited:
i think you're over thinking a bit. if we heard news today that a world's finest was in the works the internet would break and I'd bet it'd contend with avengers 2. cause it's batman and the godamn superman.

Mr. M. You're kind of right. I mean, JL is going to happen no matter what. But OK let's say there's no cameos, just very subtle easter eggs. No post-credit scenes either. That's good. But I think the new Batman either needs his own film or he needs a great introduction in Justice League. A REALLY great introduction.

Arkham is the best way to go. And I wouldn't mind a new Joker right away, but he doesn't have to be the one with a lot of screentime. Give him small screen-time. Do a different take on the story. Include Killer Croc (not a full-on monster at all). Use Strange or Riddler as main villains. Heck, it could be Riddler that brings Batman to the asylum and Joker is just one of many patients. Of course give Harley a role (Rodrigo, here's ur chance for Jane Levy :D:).

:applaud

I don't ask for much in life.

PLEASE GOD LET JANE PLAY HARLEY!!! :D

They could have squeezed the DCU in the 8 year gap by killing off Superman before the events of TDKR and disbanding the entire team. Hal leaves earth, Diana goes home to her island, maybe Barry dies or retires in a JL movie. Martian Manhunter leaves earth as well and Batman comes out of retirement because Gotham is under siege by the new League of Shadows. Batman's role would be more secretive in a JLA as well, way out of sight.

Yada, yada, yada... :whatever: Time to move on. Nolan earned the right to tell his story. This wasn't a Ratner job, where a new guy stepped in and decided kill a successful comicbook franchise and nail the coffin himself. Creative decisions were made. A JL movie was never in the cards after the plug got pulled on JL:M. WB is firing this up now because of Avengers and the lack of summer franchises, but there is simply no foundation for it at this juncture. MoS is just one of many pieces in need of assembly before it's even worth considering.

ЯɘvlveR;26084407 said:
i think you're over thinking a bit. if we heard news today that a world's finest was in the works the internet would break and I'd bet it'd contend with avengers 2. cause it's batman and the godamn superman.

You're wrong about that. Supes doesn't have the buildup yet. We don't even know how the movie is going to do this weekend and into the summer. I think we need a MoS 2 first. Batman has no buildup and will look like a poor man's Nolan. Bale's Batman and I agree with this 100%. It simply isn't the same. And don't let Marvel fool you by thinking RDJ can be replaced. It simply won't be the same until the next movie-going generation.

Last edited:
Even if MOS does mediocre in the box-office, so did Batman Begins didn't it? It's an origin story and it needs to build up towards a sequel that can tell a story that is more unpredictable, introducing/marketing a huge villain like Lex Luthor and maybe Brainiac.

MOS 2 will happen, and so should JL even if this movie doesn't make close to a billion dollars. They need to build the universe. Which is why they should be doing Wonder Woman, Flash and Batman films right alongside Man Of Steel's sequel. THEN BOOM. JUSTICE LEAGUE in 2018.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"