Justice League Justice League: News and Speculation - Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why? Unless I missed a scene where Bruce says "I've been to every island in the world." There isn't an issue.

It's not a story problem, I guess it's more of a tone problem to me. To think that there was an island of women that could have easily taken out the villains of each DK movie kind of spoils it in my mind.

I'm honestly typing as I think this through, but maybe an adjustment to Wonder Woman's character would be that she's a warrior (to the effect and strength of the League of Shadows) from the Amazon and left for the States. Doesn't sound as exciting right? That's why I'm not a writer. But I would like to see something written in to honor Batman's career and then move us forward into the world of superheroes. I hope that makes sense.

I hope they go with a new batman. It doesn't matter if the Nolan series made bank. It's the no balls approach and frankly I'm tired of urban soldier Batman( who just HAPPENS to have these crazy ass devices that totally undermine the " heightened realism"). I'm a Batman fan for life, I just want to see the next iteration hue more closely to the man-god of the comics.

It's not a story problem, I guess it's more of a tone problem to me. To think that there was an island of women that could have easily taken out the villains of each DK movie kind of spoils it in my mind.

I'm honestly typing as I think this through, but maybe an adjustment to Wonder Woman's character would be that she's a warrior (to the effect and strength of the League of Shadows) from the Amazon and left for the States. Doesn't sound as exciting right? That's why I'm not a writer. But I would like to see something written in to honor Batman's career and then move us forward into the world of superheroes. I hope that makes sense.

... Huh? Are you saying that the Amazons should have intervened and stopped the villains in the Nolan Batman movies if they existed in the same universe? That wouldn't happen since the Amazons don't really care about the troubles of the outside world.

... Huh? Are you saying that the Amazons should have intervened and stopped the villains in the Nolan Batman movies if they existed in the same universe? That wouldn't happen since the Amazons don't really care about the troubles of the outside world.

Yeah, I get that. To me, I liked knowing that Batman was the only hope. Essentially, he was the only one on the planet that could have saved the city. It just breaks the "feel" of it to me if I were to rewatch the series knowing that Wonder Woman could have kicked Bane's butt and saved the city (in TDKR) all along. Sure, she wasn't there, but it downplays Bruce.

Just going by the rumor that they wanted Afflec to star in the film (as well as direct) it tells me that they are looking for A-list actors (at least one or two) to be in the pic. I wouldn't say that Marvel was taking any risks with "Avengers" since that film stared A-listers, Robert Downey Jr. and Samuel Jackson as well as stars from their other successful films and a director with a cult following. I could see Warner Brothers making a Justice League film with actors like Christian Bale or Joseph Gordon Levitt playing Batman and of course Henry Cavil playing Superman, but I am not sure who would play the other cast members (I am doubtful about Ryan Reynolds reprising his role as Green Lantern again).

Marvel took risks with IM1- the first time IM had ever appeared in live action, TIH- Giving Hulk another chance on the big screen after the first attempt did not go according to plan, CAP- bringing a character to the big screen who could have been too old fashioned for modern audiences and too much of a turn off for non Americans, and once again they took a risk with Thor having never before appeared in his own movie.

What I was saying is that DC needs to take similar risks in bringing JL, and other properties to the big screen instead of over thinking it or being put off my GL's reception.

If they did do Nolanverse, I think the JL could totally fit.

Bruce has moved past Gotham (leaving it in the hands of Blake), but when forces come that threat Earth, not just Gotham, Bruce can't help but help.

Bruce's plan is to extend his symbolic mission to the rest of the Earth, who need hope and a sense of security, now more than ever (what with the revelation of aliens that intend to destroy them). He does this by uniting Earth's heroes, helping the people of the world sleep at night.

(like another user said, it would awesome if the name (and idea) of the "Justice League" was born out of response to the "League of Shadows")

Bruce does not have to throw his worn-out body into the fray either. He can be the one who gathers them, forms the strategies, commands from their base, etc.

(if they wanted an awesome classic Batman moment, perhaps the league thinks that Bruce has jumped into action at the end, when the audience (and perhaps Supes) realizes that it's actually Blake under the cowl (perhaps in The Bat) kicking ass at the end)

I also think Bale (Bruce) would only be needed in the first JL movie too. Perhaps he secretly leaves at the end of the film, stating only to Supes that his mission is completed, uniting the heroes. Blake can be the Bats in the next one. This hopefully would be enough to satisfy comic fans who want the first Batman/Superman team up to be with Bruce.

Last edited:
Blake gets killed by famous Batman villain (The Riddler, Penguin...), Bruce hears of this and abandons Selina in Rome to return to Gotham, decides to build orphanage in honor of him, befriends and trains one of the orphans who is named Dick Grayson becomes Robin also in honor of Blake.

Or not...:o

Bruce does not have to throw his worn-out body into the fray either. He can be the one who gathers them, forms the strategies, commands from their base, etc.

His body is not worn-out anymore.
The prison pit (Nolan's version of the Lazarus Pit) rejuvenated his body.
Hence he was able to defeat Bane in a fist fight.

If JL is the Nolanverse, it would be frikkin awesome.
It's really the only option that makes sense, giving that MOS seemingly shares a similar vibe to TDK films and this move would emulate the hype of The Avengers. And I'd love to see a Hathaway Catwoman cameo too, she was the best thing about TDKR.

But are you guys missing one problem- Metropolis and Gotham are BOTH Chicago.
That is stupid.
How would they get around that if Bale's Batman returns?

Last edited:
Marvel took risks with IM1- the first time IM had ever appeared in live action, TIH- Giving Hulk another chance on the big screen after the first attempt did not go according to plan, CAP- bringing a character to the big screen who could have been too old fashioned for modern audiences and too much of a turn off for non Americans, and once again they took a risk with Thor having never before appeared in his own movie.

What I was saying is that DC needs to take similar risks in bringing JL, and other properties to the big screen instead of over thinking it or being put off my GL's reception.

Agreed, it's amazing because other than Superman and Batman, Wonder Woman is probably the next universally known character, yet they've had multiple failed attempts to bring this to the big screen. As a matter of fact the guy that goes by "just some random guy" on You Tube who did the Marvel vs. DC pardoies of the Mac vs. PC commercials, initially started that the day that WB announced they scrapped the Wonder Woman film.

Again this goes back to the fact that WB needs to find their "Kevin Feige" and get the hell out of the way and let them do their job.

I agree that they need to march forward despite what happened with GL, but GL was completely their fault. Martin Campbell while a brilliant director was the complete wrong person for that job.

Get Morrison to rewrite the script.That is all.

As for those saying WB will do solos,I dout it.That will only happen if the marvel non-ironman movies start making Ironman cash.WB takes a wait and see approach

Last edited:

Batman himself could easily take out the Joker in a physical fight, don't need Amazonian power for that. Finding him & figuring out/anticipating the plans of the various masterminds that cause trouble in Gotham City is another matter though. The Batman villains concoct intricate plans using massive underworld gang networks & resources to carry out these plans with ****loads of people co-ordinating simultaneously. When civilians are in danger throughout a whole city at the same time from a well-planned far-reaching attack, you can't protect them all (even if you're Superman) unless you have the skill to anticipate the puppetmaster's actions like Batman (sometimes :woot:) has.

It's really the only option that makes sense, giving that MOS seemingly shares a similar vibe to TDK films and this move would emulate the hype of The Avengers. And I'd love to see a Hathaway Catwoman cameo too, she was the best thing about TDKR.

That is stupid.

I don't think the pit gave him back the cartilage in his knees though...

He came out stronger, but that's more to do his rejuvenated will (or a re-kindled appreciation for life/ fear of death). I'm sure if he visited the same doctor afterwards, he'd still give the same diagnosis.

Just because he beat Bane doesn't mean that his body hasn't reached a limit to where any physical trauma could lead to permanent, and possibly life-threatening damage.

Bane had to be defeated then and there, and he was the only one there to do it. But from then on, he knows that there's no reason in using his body anymore, when there's someone there willing and able to replace him; thus he retires.

Last edited:
Batman himself could easily take out the Joker in a physical fight, don't need Amazonian power for that. Finding him & figuring out/anticipating the plans of the various masterminds that cause trouble in Gotham City is another matter though. The Batman villains concoct intricate plans using massive underworld gang networks & resources to carry out these plans with ****loads of people co-ordinating simultaneously. When civilians are in danger throughout a whole city at the same time from a well-planned far-reaching attack, you can't protect them all (even if you're Superman) unless you have the skill to anticipate the puppetmaster's actions like Batman (sometimes :woot:) has.

That's a fair point. Maybe I misspoke. The point is that I like the feeling of knowing that Batman is loosely based in reality. We can debate that all day, the point that Nolan was trying to get across is that this was meant to be a Batman that is believable enough to live in our world. Adding the Amazon super island or power rings at that time changes the feeling to me. I admit, this isn't something that every will agree with, but there's a distinct tone set to me that I don't want to lose.

The funny thing here is that I'm completely fine will those elements being added after the emergence of Superman aka "first contact." That should be treated as one of the biggest moments in history and if it comes within the Nolanverse then it's even more impactful.

That is stupid.

Has it ever been explictly mentioned in either film that Metropolis and Gotham ARE Chicago? If not, then maybe it could be said that parts of each city just look like Chicago. Besides, not all of Gotham looked like Chicago. That sky rail in Batman Begins where they fight at the end is clearly not present. And it's not like they showed any really famous landmarks like the John Hancock building, Sears Tower, Wrigley Building, Navy Pier did they?

Can't speak about MOS, as I haven't seen it yet.

Despite claims to the contrary, my hunch is that WB is going to tie the MOS and TDK trilogy together, and then have that as the launching pad for Justice League.

The TDK trilogy was an attempt to make Batman as relatable as possible - what would Batman be like in the real world? MOS is taking a similar approach with Superman. As Goyer himself mentioned, MOS explores the idea of alien first contact - how would the world react if an alien being like Superman came to Earth? It would be nothing short of a game changer for human history. With that kind of approach, it's not impossible to tie MOS to the TDK universe.

And they can certainly get back Christian Bale as Bruce Wayne (and include JGL as Robin/Nightwing if they want). I think the concept of a "Justice" League can be very relevant thematically to Bruce Wayne's journey, and here's why:

Bruce Wayne's goal was to be a symbol, an inspiration, and at the end of TDKR, he pretty much succeeded. However, the film also made another very important point: that laws, rules, and structures have become shackles. It's the very reason why Blake quits the force. TDKR argues the notion that you need a person or a group of people outside of the system to combat true injustice. Even the ending shot of Bruce in Italy in TDKR can be interpreted differently: you can either see it as his retirement, or as a brief vacation before he returns to work and clandestinely begins his new mission (and Blake is his first recruit).

With the arrival of Superman on Earth, coupled with rumors of other impending alien threats, Bruce can come back out of the shadows and take his idea of being a symbol a step further. In other words, Bruce can take all of Ra's al Ghul's wacky ideas about "justice", and use them for something much greater. Hence, the "Justice" League, which would be Bruce Wayne's version of the League of Shadows. Bruce can be the logistical and financial arm of the group, and if necessary, put on the mask again when it is needed (and since Lucius can prove fraud on the trades, they can explain how Wayne Enterprises gets back on its feet).

IMO, it can be easily done without ruining the legacy of the TDK trilogy.

Bingo. Good post!

If WB wants to reduce costs to have a more reasonable budget, they could use the following JL line-up:

Superman
Batman
Wonder Woman
Green Arrow
Black Canary

The ones that need to be there are the big 3, GA and BC are cheaper in terms of special effects, more classic members like Aquaman, Flash, Green Lantern and Martian Manhunter could be introduced later in the film/sequels or have limited roles. Close-minded purists would wine as usual like they did with Avengers, but as long as you have the big 3, the rest are expendable. :word:

If somehow they did manage to tie TDK trilogy to MOS and JL, then I'd also want Anne Hathaway to make a cameo appearance as Catwoman. I know traditionally Catwoman doesn't work with the league and is, within the context of JL, more of a villain. However, at the end of TDKR, Bruce and Selina went off together.

I'm not by any means saying having Catwoman as part of the team. But maybe she could just be there to encourage Bruce to get involved (or maybe try to dissuade him), since I wouldn't want her to just be ignored considering they were a couple. And it would be nice to even have her maybe get a little info for Bruce as Catwoman - info that he might not want to be seen acquiring since he's now part of the league, but would be something that Catwoman could get. Just a very small scene, that's all I ask for. It's about having Bale's cast back on board, so that it feels like it's tied to those movies, just like Avengers had Pepper Potts and Selvig.

I think WB's needs to make a Catwoman solo film with Anne in the lead. She doesn't have to be stuck in Gotham either.

They can make it more like an international action thriller with Selina robbing from corrupt scum bags in France, Rome, Germany and England.

She is a big time international high end jewel and art thief.

Make it like a mix between Taken, Bond, and Entrapment. As long as the budget doesn't go overboard, a Catwoman film will make money.

Have JGL as Nightwing be a co star where Bruce wants Nightwing to try and track down Selina before she gets in even bigger trouble from the higher up crime bosses who she is stealing from.

Money talks in Hollywood. Look at how quickly the studios got Spider-Man 2, Wrath of the Titans and Final Destination 5 up and running. In the case of Wrath, they hired the writers two months after the remake hit it big, the director was hired in September 2010 and filming began the following March. And in the case of FD5, the production turnaround was even faster once they hired the writer.

So judging by how well MOS does in four months, we'll know for sure whether they're still serious about JL or doing MOS 2 instead. If they get a writer for MOS 2 either right before or after MOS opens, then the sequel is a bigger priority. But I wouldn't put it past WB to focus on JL if their new writer cobbles together a script they like in a short timeframe.

Goyer already had a story treatment outlined for the MOS sequel.

However, now WB's wants him to take a pass at Bealls JL script and make significant improvements and from what I heard that is also what Snyder wants IF he is going to take on the JL film as director.

Man, some of you just cannot let go of Nolan's Batman.

Why dont they pull a Superfriends and have Batman (Bale) and Robin (JGL) on the team? I could get behind that for sure. Then in the second one maybe JGL could take the Batman mantle

Dang. Some of you need to understand that the Nolan batman films are officially done. At this point it's groan-inducing to suggest that Bale's going to have anything to do with the JL.
They're going to recast and reboot the character. End of story.

Dang. Some of you need to understand that the Nolan batman films are officially done. At this point it's groan-inducing to suggest that Bale's going to have anything to do with the JL.
They're going to recast and reboot the character. End of story.
You're probably right, but don't act like you know for sure what's going on. Money talks, and "never say never" is a quote to live by in an industry like this. It's only end of story when the announcement is made.

That's a fair point. Maybe I misspoke. The point is that I like the feeling of knowing that Batman is loosely based in reality. We can debate that all day, the point that Nolan was trying to get across is that this was meant to be a Batman that is believable enough to live in our world. Adding the Amazon super island or power rings at that time changes the feeling to me. I admit, this isn't something that every will agree with, but there's a distinct tone set to me that I don't want to lose.

The funny thing here is that I'm completely fine will those elements being added after the emergence of Superman aka "first contact." That should be treated as one of the biggest moments in history and if it comes within the Nolanverse then it's even more impactful.
I don't really disagree with your main point. There is a definite tonal difference not just with Nolan's Batman & the rest of the JL but any Batman & JL, although Nolan's is even further removed. But it can work, in the same way that a lot of recent comic film successes have worked that shouldn't have. It just takes creative talents with that much more skill.

You're probably right, but don't act like you know for sure what's going on. Money talks, and "never say never" is a quote to live by in an industry like this. It's only end of story when the announcement is made.

You mean like 'The Legend Ends', or 'Epic Conclusion to The Dark Knight saga?'?

I don't think the pit gave him back the cartilage in his knees though...

He came out stronger, but that's more to do his rejuvenated will (or a re-kindled appreciation for life/ fear of death). I'm sure if he visited the same doctor afterwards, he'd still give the same diagnosis.

Just because he beat Bane doesn't mean that his body hasn't reached a limit to where any physical trauma could lead to permanent, and possibly life-threatening damage.

Bane had to be defeated then and there, and he was the only one there to do it. But from then on, he knows that there's no reason in using his body anymore, when there's someone there willing and able to replace him; thus he retires.

It regenerated his knees.
There's no way just doing push ups would be enough to heal himself, and not only that but come back way stronger and make short work of Bane after having a vertebrae punched back into place and then spending weeks/months in a pit with no decent food. Also there is a scene in the film where Thalia or Alfred talk about how Bane was different after coming out of the pit- stronger.

I guess it comes down to viewer interpretation, but there is certainly enough suggestion in TDKR that the pit has supernatural powers so that if Bale-Bats was his usual old self in JL, just as he was at the end of TDKR, no one would think anything of it. Besides Batman is supposed to be seen as a supernatural being by the bad guys in gotham. It's part of his whole deal.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"