Justice League Justice League: News and Speculation - Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
World's Finest. Do it WB.

Worlds Finest with Cavill and Bale as Batman.

Get Goyer and J Nolan to write the story and script and if WB's is lucky Chris Nolan may direct or get Snyder or Rian Johnson to direct the Worlds Finest film.

Worlds Finest would then be the lead in or tied to the JL film.

That would be the wise move.

Worlds Finest with Cavill and Bale as Batman.

Get Goyer and J Nolan to write the story and script and if WB's is lucky Chris Nolan may direct or get Snyder or Rian Johnson to direct the Worlds Finest film.

Worlds Finest would then be the lead in or tied to the JL film.

That would be the wise move.

For sure. There has to be a good reason for Bruce to come out of retirement and for it to not be a teeam up between JGL and Superman.

I really wish Christian Bale would come back...if Goyer or J Nolan were involved in Worlds Finest I bet he would come back

Exactly. WB's losing the Nolans, Goyer and the partnership with Legendary would be bad moves and just bad business overall by the WB's suits/execs.

No matter how a small minority of fanboys in here may hate on Nolan. The man is a special talent and that is not debatable.

Why would losing Legendary be a bad thing? Legendary wasn't involved with The Prestige or Insomnia, and those turned out fine. Village Roadshow Pictures can handle co-financing if Legendary decides not to renew their deal at the end of the year.

And Legendary's been on the outs with WB for a while, so unless Kevin Tsujihara can smooth things over with Thomas Tull... it's a good chance Legendary will leave and shack up with a WB rival like Disney, Paramount or Sony/Columbia.

Combine the two ideas.

Superman dies...

We have established a DC Universe (Solo Wonder Woman, Green Lantern and Flash films). Darkseid has taken over Earth... It's under occupation. Batman, like the general he is, realizes that Superman isn't coming back, so he basically goes out and tries to "rebuild" Superman, by getting these other heroes to work together and hopes that their combined powers match or come close to equaling Superman's.

Have Batman be the one who assembles the team. Ultimately having him come to grips with his own mortality in the process. But still having the team members respect and ever fear him a little bit. And once the team is assembled, and it's still not enough to win, Superman returns, putting the team over the top.

-R

And if you really want a Batman moment, perhaps Bats always knew that Superman never died (though still decided to bring the League together for another reason).

I understand that we as comic book fans don't feel that way... But the mainstream audience's main complaint about Supes is that "he's too powerful, nothing can hurt him but a green rock."

I don't understand this point. The general audience has a false impression of Superman and bases their opinion on him on things that are completely false thus we should continue pushing all the myths about Superman as opposed to exposing them for being myths? That would be like saying that because the general audience believes all Aquaman can do is talk to fish, that has to be the main point of the Aquaman movie despite that being just a myth.

When the GA has a false impression about the character, you don't continue with that false impression. You get the truth out through a great and accurate movie. The whole point of a superhero movie is to break any myths about the character and show the true version of the character to the GA. This is especially the case with reboots.

Well, if we introduced a threat that not only challenges Superman, but defeats him? That would make the formation of a superhero team feel organic and plausible within the world they've created.

Having Superman return in the middle of the film (40 minutes in about, think Batman's first appearance in The Dark Knight Rises) would make for an epic movie moment. It would leave the other heroes in just as much awe as it would leave the audience.

I just think that this would make the point of a Justice League film feel earned and not rushed. I also think that killing Superman and treating this as his return and putting the stakes that high would put asses in the seats. It would build buzz. People would go into Justice League thinking "wow, they've killed Superman off, all bets are off... There are no rules."

It would be a risky gamble that I think would pay off beautifully and could make for one of the best moments in comic book films.

What you just described is exactly what Man of Steel and its sequels will be doing. There are more things than just Kryptonite that can hurt Superman and the reboot will show that. You don't need to wait until a JL movie to show that because you can show that using Superman's own villains in his own corner of the DC universe (and Zod is a great start). If Man of Steel and its sequels do a good job of exposing the "He is too powerful and only a green rock can hurt him" myth, it won't be a problem by the time JL comes out.

Also by advertising JL on what the world's heroes will do without Superman only to have Superman come back later in the movie and bringing a boost of relief and confidence to the rest of the JL and to the GA, I think that would further push the "Superman is overpowered" myth rather than suppress it but that's just my opinion.

I don't understand this point. The general audience has a false impression of Superman and bases their opinion on him on things that are completely false thus we should continue pushing all the myths about Superman as opposed to exposing them for being myths? That would be like saying that because the general audience believes all Aquaman can do is talk to fish, that has to be the main point of the Aquaman movie despite that being just a myth.

When the GA has a false impression about the character, you don't continue with that false impression. You get the truth out through a great and accurate movie. The whole point of a superhero movie is to break any myths about the character and show the true version of the character to the GA. This is especially the case with reboots.

What you just described is exactly what Man of Steel and its sequels will be doing. There are more things than just Kryptonite that can hurt Superman and the reboot will show that. You don't need to wait until a JL movie to show that because you can show that using Superman's own villains in his own corner of the DC universe (and Zod is a great start). If Man of Steel and its sequels do a good job of exposing the "He is too powerful and only a green rock can hurt him" myth, it won't be a problem by the time JL comes out.

Also by advertising JL on what the world's heroes will do without Superman only to have Superman come back later in the movie and bringing a boost of relief and confidence to the rest of the JL and to the GA, I think that would further push the "Superman is overpowered" myth rather than suppress it but that's just my opinion.

I'm not perpetuating the myth that Superman is too powerful. Perpetuating the myth would be to have Superman be killed by Kryptonite. This would crush it. And it wouldn't be a Justice League film that would display it. It would be a Man of Steel sequel that sees Superman lose, fail and die.

I know that they are giving credible threats to Superman in the Man of Steel films. And that's awesome. But the bottom line is, in those films, he is going to WIN. Whether pushed to the edge or not, he'll win. So why would he need to be on a team? And if he's winning on his own against the baddest the universe has to offer, surely he wouldn't need help against the Joker, Mirror Master, Black Manta, etc. He wouldn't need a team. BUT -- if you introduce a threat that is even too large for Superman and SHOW that it is too big for Superman by having it truly defeat him (not in act 1 of a film, but at the climax of a film) and leave him defeated when the credits roll.... THAT will validate the need for a team. In the REAL world. Which is what they're trying to achieve.

I'm saying that if you put the one superhero into TRUE peril that most fans think cannot truly be put into peril... Not in an "almost died" scenario, but in an "actually died" scenario... Then that will get the audience's attention. It will be something new.

Going into a Justice League film with Superman dead, whether you know he is going to return or not, gives 100% credit to the villain as well as gives 100% NEED for the formation of the team.

And Superman coming back and "putting the team over the top," doesn't reinforce the notion that he's all powerful and it's only because of him that they won... It reinforces the notion that the team is incomplete without Superman. But also that Superman needed the team to do something that he alone couldn't.

-R

Last edited:
Well that definitely means WB is looking for an older Batman. Affleck is 40.
In that case, Jon Hamm or Anson Mount for Batman

Imagine you'll see a Man of Steel sequel in 2015 instead.
Good. I would actually prefer that... And a World's Finest film that fully established the shared DC Film Universe.

if I was WB, just do Man of Steel 2 at this point.

I would not have been 100% against Affleck directing and starring but we know it's not happening now regardless.

I'm REALLY happy Affleck didnt take the gig then.

It doesnt mean WB wants an older Batman. It just means that they were desperate for him to direct, willing to change the script at any cost. Which is horrible.

I agree that they should A) do a World's Finest with Bale and Cavill. Goyer included in the writing, Snyder directing. B) scrap it til the end of the decade, concentrate on rebooting Bats Arkham style with a great director (Johnson, Aronofsky), do a MOS sequel, Flash & WW movie before the team-up.

And how so?

He has been teasing some big scoops regarding Iron Man 3 and the MCU for weeks saying he would reveals something big right after the superbowl. You shoulda seen it, he had cryptic pictures and everything.

Apparently he guessed one thing right in the past about the avengers and since then has been treated as some kind of oracle or something.

In the end it was all a ploy to get you to subscribe to his stupid newsletter or something.

Relying on him for accurate news is a total waste of time.

I believe he was also the guy to unveil the mysterious line up of the now to be rewritten JL movie.

Superman, batman, wonder woman, the flash, green lantern.

I don't know about you guys but I would have never guessed THAT line up. Not in my wildest dreams. -_-

Last edited:
He has been teasing some big scoops regarding Iron Man 3 and the MCU for weeks saying he would reveals something big right after the superbowl. You shoulda seen it, he had cryptic pictures and everything.

Apparently he guessed one thing right in the past about the avengers and since then has been treated as some kind of oracle or something.

In the end it was all a ploy to get you to subscribe to his stupid newsletter or something.

And I don't blame him for trolling humorless geeks. Afterall it was a huge hige scoop so who cares in the long run.

He's done a lot more than just guess something right about Avengers.

So does this mean the line-up will be different now?

No, that's not it at all. He broke the casting scoop on Christian Bale and Heath Ledger being cast in Nolan's Batman films, as well as Brandon Routh getting cast in SR. Seriously, Google it.

He's been right far more times than he is wrong. Just look at that huge Super Bowl bombshell he dropped about MCU phase 3. When he has the scoops, he gets them.

So does this mean the line-up will be different now?

I don't think so. They weren't pleased with the script, but the lineup could still be the same.

The rumblings about the WB not being pleased with Beall's script were leaking far before the lineup was revealed. I think whoever's doing the page one rewrite is maintaining the lineup WB wants.

Wow, if the fine folks over at WB really wanted Affleck to play Batman...they're frickin' more clueless than I even thought.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"