The Dark Knight Rises TDKR SPOILERS (read at your own risk) - Part 5

I agree completely.

TDKR actually made me appreciate TA even more due to the complimentary contrast it creates.

I left TDKR with several questions and problems where as I didn't have the same problem with Avengers so Avengers ranks higher for me, but not my that much. TDKR is easily the second best film of the summer for me personally. I want to go see it again!

can we all agree that in terms of storytelling and depth - that both the avengers and TDKR kicked the crap out of the spiderman reboot?

i mean, it was a good movie but it just felt like the people who made TAS were less interested in creating a quality story with intriguing twists and character development and more interested in making sure Sony's rights to the Spidey character didn't expire

sorry this is off-topic a bit, just frustrated by Sony's treatment of Spidey. I liked that movie but really only for the special effects and action which far surpassed what was done in the Raimi movies. it had moments, but avengers and TDKR were complete films with deep undertones whereas TAS just felt like a standard popcorn action flic. Spidey deserved better...IMHO

point being caliber of storytelling in TDKR & Avengers > storytelling in TAS

I thought The Amazing Spider-man was better than TDKR

that's fair

is that because it was more of an action-packed/cgi-based film or was there something about the direction/way the character was approached that made you feel that way?

i liked the movie, but i'd give it something like a 3.5 or 4/5 whereas I feel Avengers and TDKR were closer to 5/5 films

that's fair

is that because it was more of an action-packed/cgi-based film or was there something about the direction/way the character was approached that made you feel that way?

i liked the movie, but i'd give it something like a 3.5 or 4/5 whereas I feel Avengers and TDKR were closer to 5/5 films
yeah that had alot to do with it. ASM was more fun. My biggest complaint about TDKR was that there wasnt enough Batman. Too much focus on Bruce Wayne as a character which was understandable in terms of the plot but it didnt make for a more enjoyable experience. I thought ASM was fun and exciting from beginning to end whereas I thought there were several stretches in TDKR which were boring. The writing was definetly more complex and deep but I preferred the overall package ASM provided. In terms of the summer comic blockbusters, for me it goes

The Avengers
Amazing Spiderman
The Dark Knight Rises

I might have held the Spidey film in a little higher esteem if it weren't for the fact that Sony would have lost the rights to the character if they had NOT made a movie. I guess I just felt like it was forced on us and the story was rushed into production. obviously i don't know if this is true, it's possible with unlimited time Webb would've come up with the exact same Spidey movie...

I absolutely love the look and feel of ATS and am looking forward to the sequels. Hopefully over the course of several movies a deeper meaning and more complex ideas about what it means to be a hero will be explored - it's definitely a great jumping off point for a solid CBM series and Garfield made an excellent peter parker/spidey

Me too. I liked it more than TDKR. The female characters and romance were much better and there were no supporting characters that made no sense(Foley).

Uncle Ben scenes were amazing. I also thought the movie flowed better.

Bane was a better villain but I just liked the story in ASM more. It also had more humour.

But you know, it's all about what movies touch you. This is very personal and all and to me ASM is the winner. I might be in the minority but that really doesn't matter to me at all.

Last edited:
Personally I think THE AMAZING SPIDER-MAN had much better writing than either THE AVENGERS or TDKR. I thad less obvious plot holes/incongruities/logic errors, and a more subtle approach in general.

I agree. Avengers was to me the best cinematic experience but Spidey got me in a more personal level. TDKR was the disappointment.

Personally I think THE AMAZING SPIDER-MAN had much better writing than either THE AVENGERS or TDKR. I thad less obvious plot holes/incongruities/logic errors, and a more subtle approach in general.

While overall I prefered TDKR, the screenplay and the character interaction in Spiderman were great. They just went way too far with the Lizard. I much prefered it to the Avengers which was just action.

gonna re-watch the new spiderman tonight - maybe i missed some things in my first viewings...

at least we can all agree that this was a fantastic summer for CBM fans and with superman next summer...things are about to get nuts people

the comic-con footage of MOS looks insane, the teasers were rather weak though in my opinion (even though i was smiley like an idiot in the theater when they showed superman going super-sonic)

I agree. I`m really looking forward for Superman. I think it's about time he gets a good movie.

i think Peter Parker is much easier for people to relate to than Bruce Wayne. Bruce is a billionaire playboy philanthropist - Peter is just an average high school kid trying to get by without embarrassing himself in front of the pretty girl or getting beat up by the jocks

i prefer TDKR, and avengers a close second

different strokes for different folks

I haven't gotten to see Spider-Man yet but I really want to. I loved Dark Knight Rises and was severely disappointed by Avengers because Joss Whedon.

also have to respect the balance of TDKR - check out the thread comparing it's plot details to the plot points in BB - that's how you write a trilogy people...

i like darknight better darknight rises i feel like they left to many plot holes.the ending i didnt like at all bane was okay.avengers by far was the best comicbook movie this summer. batman i put second spidey third didnt like the lizard either.

I didnt see the movie yet and I dont mind getting spoiled. From what I heard the movie forces him to become a mere bodyguard of another villain after a point rather than being the badass loner from comic series. What do you people think of him?

I was expecting a lot from Bane, he was always my number one most dangerous and lethal Batman villain long before Batman franchise begin and I really wanted Hardy to shine a bit info to those people's vision of "Big Bad Steroid Muscle With No Brains Waiting For His Cables To Cut Off". Did Hardy really achieved this feat?

Bane was great but not amazing. His death was horrible(not in a good way. It was awful and stupid) and yes, he became a lackey to another villain.

I was expecting a lot from Bane, he was always my number one most dangerous and lethal Batman villain long before Batman franchise begin and I really wanted Hardy to shine a bit info to those people's vision of "Big Bad Steroid Muscle With No Brains Waiting For His Cables To Cut Off". Did Hardy really achieved this feat?

He is a brute in the battle scenes, especially when you see him get enraged. Hands down the first one-on-one battle is the best scene of the movie for me. very dramatic, very brutal, very awesome. bane has some pretty awesome dialogue, proving himself to be batman's intellectual match, and i liked the way his voice works in contrast with his appearance.

as for him being a glorified bodyguard, i disagree. i see his role as the league of shadows at it's best (theatricality and deception to the highest degree).

his death is quick, but when you consider what batman is unable to do (his one rule), the way he dies makes sense (at least to me) we see the machinations that eventually claim bane's life in use earlier in the movie - and they are certainly destructive enough to take him down pretty quickly.

the performance was great with tom hardy acting behind a nearly complete facial mask (wonder what he would've been like playing Bruce/Batman?), the dialogue was great (especially in the first one-on-one fight), i could understand him throughout and found the voice very fitting (seemed to me like they toned the garbling down to let hardy's actual voice come through more clearly, made him seem more menacing to me)

and yes, he became a lackey to another villain

i would disagree. there a pretty strong relationship between the "lackey" and "the other villain", he doesn't follow blindly, the two have the same goals and stand on equal footing in my opinion.

Bane was NOT a lackey and he did not drop to B&R level. Did some of you even see the film?

Yeah Talia and Bane were in it together and had a brother/sister type relationship. Bane wasn't a lackey.

I thought The Amazing Spider-man was better than TDKR

I think, in terms of faithfulness to the comics, TASM surpasses TDKR overall, though TDKR hit ALL the right spots with the characterizations.

TDKR is a better film though. Really only because one is a trilogy ending sequel and the other is a trilogy starting origin story.

Bane was NOT a lackey and he did not drop to B&R level. Did some of you even see the film?

Yeah. My brother thought the same thing.

Sadly, he hates the Nolan series and even said he think Batman and Robin is BETTER than TDKR.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vortep88
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"